Author Topic: Need camera flash advice....  (Read 2090 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Need camera flash advice....
« on: September 27, 2016, 07:38:53 PM »
So I've got a Nikon D5100 DSLR - decent camera (actually, helluva good camera) but ridiculously anemic built in flash.   And of course, with today's tech, the camera and external  flash have a very involved conversation before deciding on what to do, allegedly to make the picture look better.

Hrumph...

(I learned on a Pentax SPII with a Vivitar Zoom Thyristor flash - both of which are older than I am)

Anywho, I'm looking for a decent external flash for this camera....  But looking at what Nikon wants for their Speedlight series flashes nearly gives me a stroke....   And makes me want to look for a pan of flashpowder and a capacitor linked to the hotshoe.....

If I have to spend that kind of money for a good quality flash, so be it.   But I suspect that the Chinese knockoff's that I see on Amazon when I put in "speedlight" are probably made in the same damn factory....   

So, hive mind, edumacate me on flashing (no, not that kind you preverts)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Need camera flash advice....
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 08:30:41 PM »
Get the Speedlight.  It makes competent flash photography simple.  You don't need the top of the line though.  I had an SB-28 on my N80 years ago and an SB400 on my last Nikon digital (model escapes me, but it was probably similar to yours in placement within the line).  The SB400 was a significant step up from the on-board flash and quite inexpensive.

ETA: I trust the reviews here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/index.htm#flash

Ken's a bit opinionated, but I've been reading his site for years and feel confident he *might* know what he's talking about. ;)

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 09:07:57 PM »
Mtnbkr beat me to the punch on Rockwell. There are good arguments for going Nikon flash. I think you'd be better off with a used 400 than a new third party 700 equivalent. If it fits into your budget, the 500 is all you'll ever need.

I have the older 600, which Rockwell doesn't like (but then he doesn't like my D300 either), and it has more features than I'm capable of using.

EDIT: Oh wait, going back to the site, he actually does like the 600. It's the 800 he thinks is too big for its britches.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 09:25:12 PM »
I use Canon but the Yongnuo flashes are a fantastic buy and are quite comparable to the name brands.  I've both Canon and Yungnuo speedlite--they play together in fact.  They also offer some great off camera possibilities that your photography so much bettter.  A big choice is do you want to use TTL flash or go manual.  Check out the models on Amazon.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 09:28:17 PM »
How about a slave flash trigger so your camera flash sets it off with no connection at all?

https://www.amazon.com/Cowboystudio-SYK-3-Optical-Slave-Trigger/dp/B00357PCVC

One example of many.  The circuitry is simple if there's no pre-main flash to calibrate the lighting from the main flash.  I put one together using only one (1) component (a light-sensitive SCR) for my big Ultrablitz flash.  But I was lucky it worked fine with that flash, otherwise I'd have had to fiddly-fart around with maybe three more components.

There are circuits for more complex situations.  Samples:

https://www.ixquick.com/do/search?hmb=1&cat=web&cmd=process_search&language=english&engine0=v1all&query=slave+flash+circuit&abp=-1&t=air&nj=0&pg=4

Terry
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 09:48:16 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 10:03:30 PM »
Here is a bit of info on speed lights

http://www.scantips.com/lights/flashguide.html

The Yongnuo lights are pretty decent and offer some advanced features. I believe this one does radio and optical slave.

https://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-568EX-4-Channel-Speedlite-Cameras/dp/B00C7OO3M8

I've got a set of 3 YN-600s and a radio trigger I use with my Canon 70D and they work great.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 11:53:09 PM »
Good used Nikon SB-27 can be had for under $50 on evilbay.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 11:59:32 PM »
I have the 400 on my D5100 and have been very happy with it. The 300 has a bit more angle adjustment in that you can actually point it up and back a bit, but I believe it has a tad less power than the 400. If you don't take a lot of portrait-oriented shots, the 400 is hard to beat for the price.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 09:22:28 AM »
I saw this review at Ken Rockwell, and it actually really stood out for me....   Might pull the trigger on this one instead of a Nikon branded flash...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/aperlite/yh-700.htm
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 12:02:06 PM »
How about a slave flash trigger so your camera flash sets it off with no connection at all?

https://www.amazon.com/Cowboystudio-SYK-3-Optical-Slave-Trigger/dp/B00357PCVC

Optical slaves can be wonky, and the knockoff RF triggers aren't that expensive.  Throw in a few of those cheap bendy tripod things to mount flashes on and you can have some real fun with off camera stuff.  Great for night shots of fountains and such, where you can really play with multiple light locations and colors for some neat effects.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 06:50:03 PM »
I haven't had the best of luck with third-party hot shoe flashes, but my experience with them is over a decade old so may not apply. Personally, though, I'd stick with mfg specific flashes with known compatibility what with all the gizmos and functionality in today's camera bodies.

My main advice is to buy more flash than you think you need. It's hard to get too much flash but darned easy to get too little. Go with what you can afford, sure, but don't scrimp. A good flash with plenty of range is amazingly versatile. My Speedlite 580EX lets me do some amazing across-the-room candid work when paired with a 70-200 f2.8L. It also lets me get some sweet medium distance action shots that would be otherwise impossible even with an f2.8 lens and ISO cranked to 12,800. Kinda impressive when you can bounce enough light off the ceiling to catch an entire 150-person auditorium with no discernible shadowing.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 07:07:10 PM »
I haven't had the best of luck with third-party hot shoe flashes, but my experience with them is over a decade old so may not apply. Personally, though, I'd stick with mfg specific flashes with known compatibility what with all the gizmos and functionality in today's camera bodies.

If you want to use all the automatic tricks, then sure, it's a good idea to have at least one same-brand flash.  OTOH, digital makes it so easy and cheap to experiment that going full manual doesn't kill the film budget.

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 09:39:09 PM »
Go with the Nikon Speedlight. When you buy the best, you will only cry once. It will also integrate better with the body.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 06:53:23 AM »
Go with the Nikon Speedlight. When you buy the best, you will only cry once. It will also integrate better with the body.

This (and something I pointed out at the top of the thread).

That said, for my MILC cameras, I have a third party flash.  But that's because the factory options are far more limited and less capable than what Nikon or Canon offer in their SLR range.  The 3rd party flash has been deemed "good" by the MILC community and had better specs than the factory options. 

Chris