Author Topic: Ladies, Why So Quiet?  (Read 9004 times)

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Ladies, Why So Quiet?
« on: November 14, 2006, 03:50:46 AM »
I've been jumping around gun forums all over the place and have noticed that the females have gotten very, very quiet while the males are yakking up a storm. Just wondering why. Tired? Bored? Nesting for the autumn/winter? Disgusted?
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Ladies, Why So Quiet?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 04:15:57 AM »
It's 'cause they know what's good for 'em.  And if you know what's good for ya, you'll watch it, Toots!  We need an overbearing chauvanist pig smiley on this board.  Smiley

No, really, I've been hanging around THR and APS for two or three years and it's always been an estrogen-deprived environment.  I don't think you're seeing anything new.  But let's look at member LadySmith on THR.  About 200 posts in two years?  That's under ten posts per month.  And you haven't posted there in over two weeks.  Why are you so quiet? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Marshall

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 05:03:35 AM »
Oh heck,  I dunno, some of us really post up a storm here.  laugh
Marshall

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 05:57:05 AM »
Marshall, welcome, since I've not seen you here before.

I once knew a beauty named Marshall Hopkins that I went to JMU with, who spelled it the same way you do.  We went out a couple of times, played racquetball and such, but ironically, I was so smitten that I managed to convince myself she was out of my league and didn't pursue the relationship thereafter.

Thanks for the fond memories!
Fig

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 06:06:34 AM »
Marshall, welcome, since I've not seen you here before.

I once knew a beauty named Marshall Hopkins that I went to JMU with, who spelled it the same way you do.  We went out a couple of times, played racquetball and such, but ironically, I was so smitten that I managed to convince myself she was out of my league and didn't pursue the relationship thereafter.

Thanks for the fond memories!
Fig
I've no doubt Mr. Fignozzle meant well, but I think posts such as his are a big reason so few women are active on these boards.  There's nothing wrong with Fig's comment, he was very nice and all, but women on a gun board are usually seen as potential girlfriends.  If I were a woman, I might just let my gender go under the radar to avoid come-ons and such.  And come to think of it, I would have assumed Marshall was a man.  I bet most of us would.  Maybe there a lot more women here than we think.

Speaking of girls, where's Hunter Rose?  Smiley

Marshall

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 07:02:40 AM »
It's OK, no harm meant. I'm a dude anyway.

I've been posting on THR since '02 and have accumulated somewhere around 4,300 posts under the same name I use here. I just visit here from time to time, it's a fun place to read. I'll have to post more.

Thanks for the welcome.  smiley
Marshall

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 08:57:43 AM »
Speaking of girls, where's Hunter Rose?
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 12:05:45 PM »
Speaking of girls, where's Hunter Rose?  Smiley

I won't forget the time he corrected me for calling him a "her" in a post. Of course, I was too stupid to notice that he clearly stated in his sig line that he wasn't a woman.
Andy

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 12:30:56 PM »
Yikes!

I'm happily married, guys.  I intended no insinuation of anything other than a rose-colored glance back at my younger days.  undecided

Sorry if it seemed anything else!

Brrlgrrl

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 01:34:06 PM »
I'm still lurking occasionally.  I do miss you guys, as I haven't been around much lately. Personally, I find flying under the radar is in my best interest for where I live in regards to self defense.  You know the general public actually frowns on independance and self defense here...

Anyway still up for the recipes, and think I'll try that Honey Hooch that was just posted about.
Anyone heard from Jim March lately?
Nice to see you guys again, I'll try not to be such a stranger.

Susan

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 01:37:39 PM »
I'm annoyed by men who call other men women as a way of poking fun at them.

I'm more annoyed by the people who want freedom for themselves but not for anyone else. That's why I don't post here much these days.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 02:25:22 PM »
I'm more annoyed by the people who want freedom for themselves but not for anyone else.

Edit:  Let's just say I can get annoyed at "sniping" too.   

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 03:22:30 PM »
Oh fistful, you don't ever turn it off, do you?  laugh
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 03:45:26 PM »
Nope. He doesn't. God appointed him guardian of the world and gave him APS as his dominion.

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 03:46:48 PM »
And not that my beliefs are any of your business, but I'm not pro-abortion. Way to make assumptions, though. Give yourself extra prayer cookies.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 03:52:22 PM »
Nope. He doesn't. God appointed him guardian of the world and gave him APS as his dominion.

Humor at its best.  laugh
Andy

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 04:27:23 PM »
Yea, and to think he's blaming others for chasing the girls away.  rolleyes

cheesy

Avoid cliches like the plague!

caseydog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 04:33:48 PM »
Ya know Fistful someone has to say it , and well if it gets me thrown off , well ~ sobeit

I have more posts than all of you, so shut up

The reason for that is that you insist on posting in virtually every thread whether you have anything meaningful to add or not (mostly not) ,Such as a woman speaking to the other women,

a good bit of the divisivness here lately has a lot of your little snipes and drive bys at the root

Yes I know I only have 100 + posts so smite me quickly O King

Sorry girls , didn't mean to step in "it" here but it fit well , carry on  grin

Ray

Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 08:21:54 PM »
I'm much more disturbed by the number of "girls" posting, who aren't.   shocked
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 08:40:59 PM »
Actually, Barbara, I assumed you were speaking of homosexual marriage. 

But a note to my detractors - I was not the first to get political in this thread.  Nor was I the first to slight the political views of other members. 

a good bit of the divisivness here lately has a lot of your little snipes and drive bys at the root
  Would you care to provide examples, or are you just blowing smoke? 

LadySmith

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 09:25:22 PM »
Ok, let me answer this question:
[/quote]But let's look at member LadySmith on THR.  About 200 posts in two years?  That's under ten posts per month.  And you haven't posted there in over two weeks.  Why are you so quiet? 
[/quote]
1. I'm a do-er. If I ask a question, I'll thank those who replied and go see how the suggestions work in real life.
2. I'm contemplative. I'll let advice sink in and then take action.
3. I loathe bitchiness regardless of gender. I've mellowed over the years and have better things to do than get into a pissing match online for kicks.
4. See my sig line.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2006, 11:17:08 PM »
It's not just APS and THR, almost all of the forums I read and the one chat room I frequent are like that.  You get three types of girls online (yes, yes, thank you, we have all read the bash quote, I'm talking about real women here): 1) the flirter who shows up for a month or two, attracts the attentions of every lonely male until one creeps her out and she disappears forever; 2) the lurker, who usually keeps her gender quiet; and 3) the active poster who don't take any crap and ingores dopey fawning boys.

Thankfully we don't have any 1's here, and we've got a good mix of 2's and 3's.  Of course, since the 2's and 3's don't make a big deal about being a girl and give "hugs" and post pictures of themselves every single day, no one really remembers them.

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2006, 12:29:25 AM »
I've barely read that thread, Fistful. But please consider what caseydog said. You've developed a habit of blasting into every thread and giving your opinion, regardless of how relevent it is.

This thread is a prime example.  You came in, told someone else they were the reason women don't post here, and then called Hunter Rose a girl as if it was some kind of insult.

You used to give the impression you thought before you posted, even when I disagreed with you. Now its just random sniping and holier than thou stuff and it happens in way too many threads.

LadySmith

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2006, 02:13:13 AM »
Not to turn this into a Fistful-bashing thread, and not to defend Barbara who is clearly more than capable of defending herself, let me say something about this:
I was not the first to get political in this thread.  Nor was I the first to slight the political views of other members.

I don't get it. If it's in reference to this:
I'm more annoyed by the people who want freedom for themselves but not for anyone else. That's why I don't post here much these days.

I see it as simply an answer to my question. Am I missing something?
Are we voting Fistful off the island? Just kidding, Fistful (that was for calling me "Toots").  cheesy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2006, 03:17:45 AM »
Ladysmith, some people may not understand what Barbara was getting at with her comment, but I think I do.  I remember her using that phrase ("people who want freedom for themselves but not for anyone else") in a thread not long ago, and in regards to the issue I just mentioned.  As women do not necessarily have the same political ideas, I did not take it as an answer to the question, but as a political snipe - to use a term that is suddenly popular here.  I suppose we're both a little touchy.