Author Topic: Inconsiderate political soliciting.  (Read 829 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Inconsiderate political soliciting.
« on: October 27, 2015, 12:43:18 PM »
We're coming into a Presidential election season. Ads and solicitation are going to be many. I understand that. Expect it even. But when a campaign begins barraging you with emails and doesn't have the decency or common courtesy to include an easy, convenient unsubscribe method, that's the line.

Ted Cruz's campaign (TedCruz.org) has heen hammering me with unsolicited emails for the last few weeks. I ignored the first few. Then I tolerated a few more. Then I started trying to unsubscribe. First chain-yank was finding no unsubscribe link/method. Then I tried the trick of replying with "Unsubscribe" in both the subject line and message body. Undeliverable. I went so far as to follow their Privacy Policy link and use the listed "contact us" email address. That bounced back as undeliverable, too. This morning I finally became fed up and called their headquarters. A very nice person said they could remove me from their contact list, but a suggestion to add an easy unsubscribe option emails was met with "we'll have to check if that's possible".

Have to check? Have to check!?

Jiminy Christmas, people! Convenient unsubscribe links have been an expected part of email solicitations for years. I would expect a neighborhood group hawking fundraising cupcakes once a year to not be up to speed but this is a Presidential election for crying out loud! Show a little professionalism. At the very least hire someone who knows electronic media marketing basics.

Gahhh!!!

*rant off*

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Inconsiderate political soliciting.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 03:33:54 PM »
This morning I finally became fed up and called their headquarters. A very nice person said they could remove me from their contact list, but a suggestion to add an easy unsubscribe option emails was met with "we'll have to check if that's possible".

Have to check? Have to check!?

Did you double check everything in the headers?  Sounds like it would be well worth the money for Jeb Bush to set up some false flag harassment operations.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 03:38:56 PM »
Yup. The only links in the message were to the Contribute and Privacy Policy pages.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 06:16:13 PM »
The GOP is a "blood in/blood out" organization. You will need to show up in person to campaign HQ with a knife to unsubscribe.