Poll

Who puts more guns on the street, cops or citizens?

Law Enforcement
15 (78.9%)
Citizens
4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Who puts more guns on the street, cops or citizens?  (Read 2531 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Who puts more guns on the street, cops or citizens?
« on: October 28, 2015, 10:05:45 PM »
I vote for cops.

On a daily/regular basis, any law enforcement officer who is working the streets will have a gun on.  So, in theory, 99% of LEOs will have a gun with them, because 99% of LEOs work the street, not in an office.

On a daily/regular basis, only a small percentage of people will be legally allowed to carry a gun (maybe 10%?)  And of those CCWers, only a portion of them will have a gun (maybe 25%).  So only 2.5% of the total gun-owning population, who are not cops, will carry a gun that day.

What say you?

I'm just curious what the numbers would be on an average day.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Who puts more guns on the street, cops or citizens?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 10:10:52 PM »
I'm also voting for cops, as they are more likely to carry 2 or 3 pistols, not to mention long gun(s) in vehicles. This is why, when politicians talk about "getting 'assault weapons/rifles' off the streets," they need to be asked if they've disarmed the police yet.

Fly320s, you didn't vote yet.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 10:26:44 PM »
If we count such organizations a the BATFE-IEIO and their ilk then they are also likely responsible for feeding more firearms to the criminal element than "Joe Citizen".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 10:51:41 PM »
I can't possibly prove this, and it may be confirmation bias... but I'd say CCW + OC > 2*LEO.

Jmho
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 10:53:03 PM »
CC's out number the popo, and are better trained.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 11:01:17 PM »
CC's out number the popo, and are better trained.
Outnumber by far, but the question is: Of those with permits how many carry daily?  And how many train regularly?  Or ever?

Not very many I would bet.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 11:12:24 PM »
Outnumber by far, but the question is: Of those with permits how many carry daily?  And how many train regularly?  Or ever?

Not very many I would bet.

This

are better trained.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

yeah...right...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 12:49:17 AM »

I could post numerous examples of "not" highly trained cops, from "oops" I meant to shoot the dog not you to I can't mount an holo sight right....but that would be a thread drift. So just go on thinking what you will.  [ar15]

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 12:59:29 AM »

I could post numerous examples of "not" highly trained cops, from "oops" I meant to shoot the dog not you to I can't mount an holo sight right....but that would be a thread drift. So just go on thinking what you will.  [ar15]

Tons of *expletive deleted*ing retards on the "civilian" side too. Just spend some time in a gun store...or at a free public range...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 09:34:08 AM »
Based on newspaper/TV reports, cops put more guns on the streets than do all CCers/OCers/gangbangers combined.

Seriously, when was the last time you heard about some Joe Sixpack taking his AR-platform "Patrol Rifle" out of the trunk and leaning up against the fender while he looked to see what was causing that noise under the car and then driving off leaving his gun on the street?

Sure, there are occasional reports of someone leaving their handgun in the restroom stall.  But how often does that happen as opposed to a cop walking out while leaving his whole duty belt still hanging from the hook on the inside of the door?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 09:55:55 AM »

I could post numerous examples of "not" highly trained cops, from "oops" I meant to shoot the dog not you to I can't mount an holo sight right....but that would be a thread drift. So just go on thinking what you will.  [ar15]

LEO firearms training is very inconsistent.  Some agencies do a bang up job, others are pathetic.  But even the worst seem to get Officer McNongunny out to the range once a year.  And the size of the agency is not a good indicator.  Some of the small agencies around here are very well trained. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 10:42:04 AM »
LEO firearms training is very inconsistent.  Some agencies do a bang up job, others are pathetic.
Yep.  There is the same kind of variation in training is true of non-cops who carry.  Some are extremely proficient, others are downright dangerous.

But as you say, at least most cops are forced to get out to the range at least once a year.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 11:13:09 AM »

I could post numerous examples of "not" highly trained cops, from "oops" I meant to shoot the dog not you to I can't mount an holo sight right....but that would be a thread drift. So just go on thinking what you will.  [ar15]

How about all the dumb *expletive deleted*ck hunters who shoot at an unidentified moving object that they think is a deer but is really a fellow hunter?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 11:29:59 AM »
How about all the dumb *expletive deleted*ck hunters who shoot at an unidentified moving object that they think is a deer but is really a fellow hunter?

In my state, with a 1/4 million deer hunters in the woods on opening day, someone getting shot is extremely rare- there is maybe one incident every other year.
I'd put their 'accidental' shootings up against any equal number of police, any day.

LEO firearms training is very inconsistent.  Some agencies do a bang up job, others are pathetic.  But even the worst seem to get Officer McNongunny out to the range once a year.  And the size of the agency is not a good indicator.  Some of the small agencies around here are very well trained. 

The ones I've run across in shooting competitions or in training classes are top notch shooters- not anyone I'd want to be on the wrong side of a gunfight with, however, for every one of them who spends countless hours training/shooting, there are probably 100 that are sub par.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 11:33:17 AM »
The ones I've run across in shooting competitions or in training classes are top notch shooters- not anyone I'd want to be on the wrong side of a gunfight with, however, for every one of them who spends countless hours training/shooting, there are probably 100 that are sub par.

Do you really think the CCWer numbers are any better? Let's not kid ourselves here.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 12:43:34 PM »

The last hunting related shooting here in Illoinois, was when two duck hunters sitting in a boat and one swung on the other.  That was 3=4 years ago.   Thehunting shooting prior to that was 8 years ago.  I know, as a Hunter Safety Instructor I see all the reports each year.

And as President of ASC, we had LEA out all the time to practice and use or ranges.

2-3% had either brought in professionals and really practiced.

50-70% had "Carl".  Carl either went to a 1 day class (on the dept's dime where went to a REAL expensive dinner, got drunk and ended up back at the hotel with some broad, not his wife.), or watched a "High Speed" video, or was in the Air National Guard and had deployed to Iraq as a Supply Expert, or was a hunter so he got named "Dept Firearms Trainer."*

The reminder did the "Here's your 40 rounds, that be a load of reloads for you revolver guys, but you have to get X number in the target, if you want to get the Handgun qualified bonus this year....And GO !!"

There were quite a few in the last two categories that should have been only allowed to Barney Fife their one round.   It was sad to watch.

*- The last one is the no-*expletive deleted*it way the Chicago office of the BATFEIO, picked Firearms Training guy.   It was literally everyone come out, blow off a bunch of Uncle Sugar's ammo, and I'll be grilling up some Venison for everyone to try when we're done.   :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:  While watching them train, myself and couple of Board members decided we needed to go back to the office and re-read our insurance policies once again..
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 12:48:04 PM »
Do you really think the CCWer numbers are any better? Let's not kid ourselves here.

If they weren't we'd be hearing a media outcry- every day.
Remember: Cops have to carry guns, it's one of the requirements of getting a paycheck.
CCWers are carrying a gun because they either see a need or they want to.
There's a big difference in overall attitudes when you compare someone compelled to do something vs someone with a want/need to do something.

Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 01:07:08 PM »

Given how busy ranges have become around here with training classes, then yes.  I would say the average CCW'er is much better trained and practices much more then the average LEO, having observed both groups for several years.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 01:12:53 PM »
NYPD......'nuff said.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 02:08:45 PM »
If they weren't we'd be hearing a media outcry- every day.
Remember: Cops have to carry guns, it's one of the requirements of getting a paycheck.
CCWers are carrying a gun because they either see a need or they want to.
There's a big difference in overall attitudes when you compare someone compelled to do something vs someone with a want/need to do something.

There is a media outcry every day, but let's not pretend that tells us anything about the reality of the situation.  :lol:

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 02:42:24 PM »
There is a media outcry every day, but let's not pretend that tells us anything about the reality of the situation.  :lol:

err.. point well taken.

Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 03:11:04 PM »
When I first took defensive pistol classes, the instructors always said, "you're now better defensive shooters than most cops". I used to think they were just blowing smoke up our asses, but I've come to learn they were pretty much right. As Roo_ster mentioned, yeah, there will be departments that train their people well. I think that's the minority though, and it applies to CCW holders as well.

I would never advocate training by force of government, but I sure wish we could get 100% voluntary participation in training classes. As I've mentioned before, I always thought I was a good shooter until I took my first "get off the 'X' " class.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2015, 03:25:26 PM »

As I've mentioned before, I always thought I was a good shooter until I took my first "get off the 'X' " class.
:rofl:

I always feel like the guy who rode the short bus in when I take classes.

Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2015, 03:32:31 PM »
:rofl:

I always feel like the guy who rode the short bus in when I take classes.

Me too. It can be very humbling. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2015, 06:28:44 PM »
I sincerely hope it's citizens by a wide margin. That could be important one day.