Author Topic: I support drug legalization, but...  (Read 754 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I support drug legalization, but...
« on: December 20, 2015, 09:19:11 AM »
...comparing them to guns just doesn't make sense.

To urban liberals, guns are like cigarettes — products that when used as intended only hurt or kill people. The real reason the war on guns has been such an abysmal failure is that they aren't alike after all. You can't hunt or, more importantly, defend yourself or your family with a cigarette. That's why, in the wake of San Bernardino, millions of Americans didn't think “We've got to get rid of guns.” They thought “Maybe I should get one.” I know I did.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-1215-goldberg-cigarettes-guns-20151215-column.html

Yup. The uselessness of tobacco, and other recreational drugs, doesn't mean they should be banned, but it does mean that it's a different conversation.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
Re: I support drug legalization, but...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 10:06:34 PM »
Given the 2nd amendment for defense against tyranny and general self defense against lesser forms of tyranny, guns are unlike just about any other product.  (knives maybe?)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
Re: I support drug legalization, but...
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 08:13:32 AM »
Maybe cars, especially after a driver mowed down a bunch of pedestrians in Vegas last night.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.