Author Topic: Missouri football players to go on racial solidarity strike  (Read 12311 times)

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
Missouri football players to go on racial solidarity strike
« on: November 08, 2015, 07:13:57 AM »
Football players at Mizzou say they will join other blacks to protest racial issues at Missouri.  Looks like more St Louis/Ferguson rabble rousing lefty crap to me.  We seem more divided these days, than in any time in our history.
University of Missouri football players announced Saturday night on Twitter they will not participate in team activities until the school’s president resigns.

The statement was tweeted out Saturday by several members of the football, including starting running back Russell Hansbrough.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports defensive backs Anthony Sherrils and Finis Stribling and linebacker Clarence Greene all retweeted the statement along with Hansbrough.

The decision to boycott aligns the team with some campus groups who have been protesting the way university president Tim Wolfe has dealt with issues of racial harassment during the school yet. Jonathan Butler, a black graduate student, is in the sixth day of a hunger strike to call attention to the issue.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/08/missouri-to-boycott-season-until-university-president-steps-down/?intcmp=hpbt3

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Missouri football players to go on racial solidarity strike
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 08:45:50 AM »
And jut how long do they expect the Alumni Association to allow them to remain members of the football team?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 08:56:53 AM »
I'm not sure they've thought this through completely.

I'd bet that there is some sort of signed contract that each football player signs that says some version of "As an athlete for this school I promise not to embarrass or make it look bad, and the determination of what looks bad is up to the administration."  I mean that's kinda standard boilerplate.  I signed one to be part of a volunteer search and rescue team in college.  I'd also bet that a bunch of these scholar/athletes aren't paying full price for their school and lodging.  So Pissing off the administration could pretty quickly get them booted from the team, the school, and wherever they are living.  That's a *expletive deleted*it ton of solidarity.

Any time I see anyone crying about another's actions my first response is to ask "Well, what did they do that's so bad?"  So what did this president do?  I googled a bit (not a lot) but found nothing especially more substantive than the OP's article.

The message reads: "The athletes of color on the University of Missouri football team truly believe "Injustice Anywhere is a threat to Justice Everywhere" We will no longer participate in any football related activities until President Tim Wolfe resigns or is removed due to his negligence toward marginalized students' experience. WE ARE UNITED!!!!!"

They have complained that the use of racial slurs is prevalent. In April, a swastika was found in a Missouri dormitory, and officials said last month they were investigating another act of vandalism that targeted minorities

(bolding mine)

Without knowing what the university did about these horrible hurt feels, I can't say for sure that they students are being overly sensitive cry babies.  But if you have to resort to using progressive buzzwords, instead of laying out facts, to make a case, I'm just going to assume there's nothing there.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 11:28:17 AM by dogmush »

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 09:36:01 AM »
If they are not playing of their own volition, are they eligible for the scholarships they are getting?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 09:59:49 AM »
Isn't that the same team that produced the NFL's first openly man-butt-loving football player, who went on to be such a complete joke that he's now playing for a Canadian football team? In Canada?

:rofl:

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 10:16:43 AM »
Isn't that the same team that produced the NFL's first openly man-butt-loving football player, who went on to be such a complete joke that he's now playing for a Canadian football team? In Canada?

Update: He quit the Canadian team earlier this year. He said he would be playing in the NFL today if he hadn't come out.

http://nypost.com/2015/06/15/michael-sams-football-career-in-doubt-after-mystery-cfl-exit/

Ooooooo-kay.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 10:22:36 AM »
Take the scholarships.  Stupidity should be painful.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 10:49:01 AM »
Update: He quit the Canadian team earlier this year. He said he would be playing in the NFL today if he hadn't come out.

http://nypost.com/2015/06/15/michael-sams-football-career-in-doubt-after-mystery-cfl-exit/

Ooooooo-kay.

...and I'd be playing in the NFL today too if I were faster, stronger, and 20 years younger....
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 04:18:32 PM »
I think when they sign up to be a student they should be given a choice to live in a sealed environment that is cut off from television, newspapers, periodicals, or social media of any sort, so they will never be subjected to any shock or insult to their preconceived ideas.  If they choose instead to live in  the real world, they must sign a waiver that the school will not be held responsible if the student becomes offended, insulted, or exposed to the fact that some people in the real world may not share the same values that the student holds.  At some point they will have to be exposed to reality, but why would you force it on such a fragile soul as these young adults?  It makes me wonder how an infantryman not long out of high school manages to cope with the fact that not only do the people in the country he is visiting not agree with him, they actually want him dead.  Talk about micro aggression!
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 06:21:13 PM »
I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure incoming fire has crossed the line to macro aggression.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 06:48:34 PM »
As ex-students with ex-scholarships and ex-campus-dining cards, I imagine they'll have plenty of free time to protest . . . until they get hungry.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 07:28:35 PM »
I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure incoming fire has crossed the line to macro aggression.

You beat me to it.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »
For the lack of college sports fans on here, I really don't understand why anyone on here really even cares about this.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 08:10:31 PM »
For the lack of college sports fans on here, I really don't understand why anyone on here really even cares about this.

Because they're no better than Mattress Girl, and I'm sick of activists thinking that anything they whine about should be taken seriously.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 08:14:51 PM »
Because they're no better than Mattress Girl, and I'm sick of activists thinking that anything they whine about should be taken seriously.

If more people ignore them, then they lose their position.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 10:14:04 PM »
I am a college football fan, but I could care less.  I heard mention of this, but didn't pay attention until I saw this post.  If the players don't play, they should be gone. 

It sounds like there is no video or any proof whatsoever that any white people have actually done anything.  Since I would imagine every single one of those minority students have cell phones that can record audio/video, the lack of any video speaks volumes.  Based on the last decade or two of recent history of "racial incidents", the most likely explanation is that all this is made up by "activists". 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 11:21:34 PM »
A majority of college div i athletes in football and basketball have no business being on a college campus in the first place.  They are two or more standard deviations stupider than the mean student.  Let the pro leagues set up a serious farm system and let the thug student athlete play for them.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 11:46:42 PM »

No, no; it's our white privilege that makes us not care.

Actually, if this were about sport, most of us would not care. This is not about sport, though, is it?

And I don't know why I add this, since the offending party never admits it's true, but commenting via internet does not equal caring. It is the easiest thing in the world.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 07:44:49 AM »
no, it's not about football, it's just part of the debate swirling around to what extent, do we balance freedom of speech against a person's desire to go through life without being offended.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 07:52:47 AM »

No, no; it's our white privilege that makes us not care.

Actually, if this were about sport, most of us would not care. This is not about sport, though, is it?

And I don't know why I add this, since the offending party never admits it's true, but commenting via internet does not equal caring. It is the easiest thing in the world.

What would your reaction be if the players went on strike because they felt their (and other student's) Christian beliefs were being attacked?

Uranus is a gas giant.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 09:08:52 AM »
What would your reaction be if the players went on strike because they felt their (and other student's) Christian beliefs were being attacked?

Since when have Christians been triggered by microaggressions?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 09:31:18 AM »

Since the Christian Lives Matter movement keeps looting and burning businesses every time a felon gets shot in self-defense...

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 11:22:13 AM »

Since the Christian Lives Matter movement keeps looting and burning businesses every time a Christian felon gets shot in self-defense...

FIFY

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 11:34:01 AM »
And just across my yahoo news feed...

Tim Wolf has resigned.

The last thing I would have done before I resigned would have been to yank the scholarships from all of the "striking" students and fire the football staff.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 11:54:31 AM »
And just across my yahoo news feed...

Tim Wolf has resigned.

The last thing I would have done before I resigned would have been to yank the scholarships from all of the "striking" students and fire the football staff.

I just spotted the story.

http://www.newser.com/story/215798/missouri-president-resigns-amid-protests.html