Author Topic: Yoga is Offensive  (Read 3547 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Yoga is Offensive
« on: November 23, 2015, 06:13:58 PM »
I suppose irony is the best descriptor that yoga, beloved by hippies, Prius drivers, and the general left, is now considered offensive and culturally insensitive on college campuses. It's like the whole world has become an issue of Mad magazine.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/11/23/university-suspends-yoga-class-fearing-its-cultural-issues-could-offend/?intcmp=hpbt2

« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:23:03 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Yoga is Offense
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 06:37:08 PM »
It may someday become offensive to breath on university campii.  Let us hope this afflicts libtards first...... >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 07:09:56 PM »
One thing that always struck me in my Eastern Religion class (which was a great class and had real material, unlike my Eastern Philosophy class which was a complete waste of everyone's time) was that the professor stressed and proved that Hinduism is really not a religion a person can convert too (despite many attempts be hippie dippies) because it is so insanely complex and such a deep rooted part of Indian culture, not to mention it's one central concept is the complete opposite of the western religions central concept that is ingrained in our mindset (regardless of our individual religion)

Which is why I find this particularly humorous. I'm pretty sure Hindu's are not overly concerned with westerners failing to fully get their religion or remotely worried about us appropriating some of their practices. In fact, to do so would be completely at odds with both their culture and their religion.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 07:12:53 PM »
Wow. I thought it was bad enough that people of privilege were not allowed to appreciate their own culture, now that can't appreciate another?  Maybe they could fall on their swords.  Nope, that would be inappropriately appropriating yet another culture.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »
Wow. I thought it was bad enough that people of privilege were not allowed to appreciate their own culture, now that can't appreciate another?  Maybe they could fall on their swords.  Nope, that would be inappropriately appropriating yet another culture.

Don't worry, I'm sure we can find the culturally appropriate version for all the "privileged" people here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sacrifice
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Yoga is Offensive
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 07:54:01 PM »
Okay, this is *expletive deleted*it has reached the *expletive deleted*ing ridiculous stage.  When can we take out permits for these *expletive deleted*ing idiots.  I am fearful of the future for my children.  These stupid *expletive deleted*s just don't give a *expletive deleted*it about anything except for themselves.  I hope the world smacks them across the face, hard and soon.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 08:22:59 PM »
Okay, this is *expletive deleted*it has reached the *expletive deleted*ing ridiculous stage.  When can we take out permits for these *expletive deleted*ing idiots.  I am fearful of the future for my children.  These stupid *expletive deleted*s just don't give a *expletive deleted*it about anything except for themselves.  I hope the world smacks them across the face, hard and soon.

That was beautiful.   :O
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 09:14:48 PM »
First they came for the Kimono, despite approximately no Japanese person ever being concerned about foreigners dressing up in one in as an art display.  Matter of fact, Kimono are their rough equivalent of a suit(for guys) and evening dress(for gals).  More formal equivalents are equivalent to tuxes and ball gowns.

While there's some religion tied into Yoga, it's not like the Euchrist or anything. 

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 09:29:40 PM »
The more I think about this the more absurd it becomes.  It would be like an agnostic student being offended for the Catholics if somebody ate fish on Friday.  A real twilight zone moment.

griz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 09:31:33 PM »
Wait, is this a yoga pants thing?  Some people really care about yoga pants.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 01:38:00 AM »

Near as I can tell, the social warriors have found out that in it's native country 'Yoga' is considered something of a spiritual affair.  Thus, us Americans doing the same things in order to help be more fit is somehow offensive, despite Yoga's 'spiritual' aspect being mostly a 'healthy body leads to a healthy mind, which leads to a healthy spirit' thing.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 04:27:03 PM »
Sounds like some cheeto eating basement troll tried yoga and came up woefully short of the abilities of others in the class so had to find a reason for being offended, because being an unfit, lazy sack of crap isn't a protected class (yet).

In other news, hard work is offensive.
Sweating is also oppressive.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 04:50:58 PM »
Near as I can tell, the social warriors have found out that in it's native country 'Yoga' is considered something of a spiritual affair.  Thus, us Americans doing the same things in order to help be more fit is somehow offensive, despite Yoga's 'spiritual' aspect being mostly a 'healthy body leads to a healthy mind, which leads to a healthy spirit' thing.

It's worse.  Many Americans also feel Yoga's partly spiritual. But they are white Americans.White folks can't be spiritual in a brown fashion.  That's offensive.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 08:08:58 PM »
can be very offensive.  Ever watch a group of guys try it for the first time?  Lots of grunting, groaning and farting going on there.  Don't ask me how I know, the PTSD still hasn't gone away.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 08:28:42 PM »
can be very offensive.  Ever watch a group of guys try it for the first time?  Lots of grunting, groaning and farting going on there.  Don't ask me how I know, the PTSD still hasn't gone away.

That's taking breathing deeply a little too far...

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 08:49:01 PM »
The yoga class that I took in college had 25 students, 1 guy (me) and 24 girls.  I never missed a class.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 08:52:11 PM »

Let slip the hogs of war and let the asskicking begin

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 09:18:59 PM »
The yoga class that I took in college had 25 students, 1 guy (me) and 24 girls.  I never missed a class.

I took a typing class in both junior high and high school.  Same here, never missed a class!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: Yoga is Offensive
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 09:38:09 PM »
Yoga would be less offensive if no one wore pants....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 04:34:15 PM »

I stayed with a woman I didn't like much for a couple extra months because she lived in a second floor apartment and always wore tight jeans or yoga pants.  So much fun to walk her to her door.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 09:39:57 AM »
Could be good.  Could be very bad.  I figure most don't imagine the 2nd choice happening.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 11:06:10 AM »
The more I think about this the more absurd it becomes.  It would be like an agnostic student being offended for the Catholics if somebody ate fish on Friday.  A real twilight zone moment.

That really does sum it up. 

Could be good.  Could be very bad.  I figure most don't imagine the 2nd choice happening.

Part of the time growing up was near a nude beach.  Cured me of ANY illusions that nudism ought to become more widespread.  Or saggy & wrinkly. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton