Author Topic: Oh Great and Wise HVAC Gurus  (Read 2989 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Oh Great and Wise HVAC Gurus
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2015, 01:28:06 AM »
Acidic discharge water isn't the word for it. How are you going to dispose of it? Most of these furnaces won't fully exhaust the combustion by products and you have to deal with essentially battery acid water that has to be pumped somewhere.

Oh, really?

Fine.  Lets do this.  Time for me to put on my recently conferred adjunct professor of HVAC hat, hop on my soap box and pontificate on.

When any hydrocarbon is combusted in atmospheric conditions, you get a fairly similar redox reaction.  Since natural gas is what we're talking about here, and the hydrocarbon component of interest is methane, we'll start there:

CH4 + 2 O2 → CO2 + 2 H2O

This assumes complete combustion, a stochimetric mixture with no areas of flame front impingement to result in the formation of the thermodynamically less favorable product, carbon monoxide.  Correctly operating furnaces use a mixture of primary and secondary combustion air to ensure this reaction fully takes place.

Now, on old furnaces like what Dave is soon to be rid of, some heat from these combustion products is relieved of in the heat exchanger.  This heat ends up in the inside air.  On a furnace like what Dave currently has, this is probably somewhere around 60-70%.  The rest of it, still at 350F+ degrees, is exhausted to the vent stack.  This hot exhaust is more buoyant then its surroundings, and this heat creates draft in the vent stack, carrying the flue gases up and away to atmosphere.  And that, boys and girls, is how natural draft furnaces work.

The furnace Dave is getting does and interesting thing.  It takes these hot gasses, and just like its predecessor, cools them in a heat exchanger.  But instead of stopping there, it has a second heat exchanger (and incidentally ususally lower in the furnace for an upflow configuration so it receives the coolest return air, thus making a counter-current heat exchanger for added efficiency but necessitating a draft inducer fan to pull the combustion gasses "downward") cools them further.  It cools them below 350F... down down down, and at 212F (ish), an interesting thing happens...

Remember that chemical equation?  Well that 2 H2O in there is steam!  And when those gases cool below 212F, that steam condenses back into water.  In the process that steam gives up tremendous heat, chemistry geeks will recognize it as the latent heat of vaporization.

And that is how we end up with furnaces that can recover 90+% of the heat in combustion gasses.  And the gasses cool enough that we can vent with PVC.

Now, on to acidity...

Carbon dioxide in the presence of liquid and vapor water has a tendency to form carbonic acid.  H2CO3.  Not a lot of CO2 ends up in this state, because carbonic acid, unlike - for instance – battery acid (sulfuric) -  is a weak acid.

That's not to say that weak acids are 'weak' in a non-chemistry sense.  For example, no one in their right mind would consider glacial acetic acid in the same safety category as household vinegar.  But the denotation of weak acid does tell us that the acid doesn't have a tendency to fully dissociate into hydronium and hydroxide ions – the rate at which this happens can be found by looking at an acids Ka (or more conveient stated in a log scale) pKa value.

It just so happens that I have a copy of the CRC in front of me.  Lets see... Carbonic Acid pKa...

DISSOCIATION CONSTANTS OF INORGAINC ACIDS AND BASES.  Pg 5-92

Carbonic acid ---> pKa 6.35

This is an equlibrium constant, and it relates to an equlibrium equation for the dissociation of acids in aqueous solutions.  That equation for us is:

[H+][HCO3-]
Ka = ------------------
   [CO2(aq)]

and pKa = -log(Ka)

Okay, lets apply this with Henry's law and work through it.

In flue gasses, you can expect about 8.8% CO2 [1]

CO2 (aq) = KCO2PCO2

But what's the KCO2?

Page 5-152.  SOLUBILITY OF CARBON DIOXIDE IN WATER AT VARIOUS TEMPERATURES AND PRESSURES.

Love the CRC.

At 100C, atmosperic (where condensation is taking place):  KCO2 = 1.96x10-4

PCO2 = 8.8%/100%x1Atm = 0.088 Atm

CO2(aq) = 1.96x10-4 * 0.088 Atm = 1.725x10^-5

Plug it in to the acid base equlibrium accounting for the second form of acid, bicarbonate; solve for a hydronium concentration:

6.35 = -log([H+]^2 / [1.725x10x-5])

Hydronium concentration = 1.73x10^4.  Therefore, PH is 3.76.

Battery acid (that is, the acid used in lead acid batteries) is reported, depending on charge state, to have an acidity of about 0.8 PH.

PH is, however a logethrimic scale, so for a better comparison, lets convert back to actual hydronum ion concentration.  

Ka = 0.44933

Lets compare this to the acidic concentration of condensing furnace effluant:

(1.73x10^4  / 0.44933 ) * 100% = 38,500%

In other words, no, condensing furnace condensate is actually nothing like “battery acid”.  You are completely incorrect.

Edited to add:  Please note, these are worst case numbers, in which full mixing and dissociation to theoretical limits are allowed to happen.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 06:47:17 AM »
OK, not as acidic as I thought. There are areas where the discharge still has to be run through a neutralizer before it can be put into the waste water stream, though.

And yes, latent heat of condensation and all that.

In any event, that was a lovely story, and you told it so convincingly.  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2015, 07:00:38 AM »
OK, not as acidic as I thought. There are areas where the discharge still has to be run through a neutralizer before it can be put into the waste water stream, though.

Oil/propane heat would produce more CO2 though, so in areas where that's a concern...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2015, 07:45:34 AM »

Tomato juice has a pH of 4, people dump that down the drain, lemon juice has a pH of 3, similar story.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2015, 07:56:36 AM »
The condensate from high efficiency furnaces is drained into the floor drain or pumped via a condensate pump into the sewer pretty much universally throughout Chicagoland.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2015, 08:56:46 AM »
Tomato juice has a pH of 4, people dump that down the drain, lemon juice has a pH of 3, similar story.

Not even remotely in the same quantities. I've seen information online that indicates that depending on the size of the system, you can get upwards 10 gallons of condensate a day out of a high efficiency furnace.

That's one hell of a lot of tomatos or lemons.

http://www.neutrasafe.com/docs/Condensate-white-paper.pdf
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2015, 05:41:35 PM »
Oh, really?

Fine.  Lets do this.  Time for me to put on my recently conferred adjunct professor of HVAC hat, hop on my soap box and pontificate on.

When any hydrocarbon is combusted in atmospheric conditions, you get a fairly similar redox reaction.  Since natural gas is what we're talking about here, and the hydrocarbon component of interest is methane, we'll start there:

CH4 + 2 O2 → CO2 + 2 H2O

This assumes complete combustion, a stochimetric mixture with no areas of flame front impingement to result in the formation of the thermodynamically less favorable product, carbon monoxide.  Correctly operating furnaces use a mixture of primary and secondary combustion air to ensure this reaction fully takes place.

Now, on old furnaces like what Dave is soon to be rid of, some heat from these combustion products is relieved of in the heat exchanger.  This heat ends up in the inside air.  On a furnace like what Dave currently has, this is probably somewhere around 60-70%.  The rest of it, still at 350F+ degrees, is exhausted to the vent stack.  This hot exhaust is more buoyant then its surroundings, and this heat creates draft in the vent stack, carrying the flue gases up and away to atmosphere.  And that, boys and girls, is how natural draft furnaces work.

The furnace Dave is getting does and interesting thing.  It takes these hot gasses, and just like its predecessor, cools them in a heat exchanger.  But instead of stopping there, it has a second heat exchanger (and incidentally ususally lower in the furnace for an upflow configuration so it receives the coolest return air, thus making a counter-current heat exchanger for added efficiency but necessitating a draft inducer fan to pull the combustion gasses "downward") cools them further.  It cools them below 350F... down down down, and at 212F (ish), an interesting thing happens...

Remember that chemical equation?  Well that 2 H2O in there is steam!  And when those gases cool below 212F, that steam condenses back into water.  In the process that steam gives up tremendous heat, chemistry geeks will recognize it as the latent heat of vaporization.

And that is how we end up with furnaces that can recover 90+% of the heat in combustion gasses.  And the gasses cool enough that we can vent with PVC.

Now, on to acidity...

Carbon dioxide in the presence of liquid and vapor water has a tendency to form carbonic acid.  H2CO3.  Not a lot of CO2 ends up in this state, because carbonic acid, unlike - for instance – battery acid (sulfuric) -  is a weak acid.

That's not to say that weak acids are 'weak' in a non-chemistry sense.  For example, no one in their right mind would consider glacial acetic acid in the same safety category as household vinegar.  But the denotation of weak acid does tell us that the acid doesn't have a tendency to fully dissociate into hydronium and hydroxide ions – the rate at which this happens can be found by looking at an acids Ka (or more conveient stated in a log scale) pKa value.

It just so happens that I have a copy of the CRC in front of me.  Lets see... Carbonic Acid pKa...

DISSOCIATION CONSTANTS OF INORGAINC ACIDS AND BASES.  Pg 5-92

Carbonic acid ---> pKa 6.35

This is an equlibrium constant, and it relates to an equlibrium equation for the dissociation of acids in aqueous solutions.  That equation for us is:

[H+][HCO3-]
Ka = ------------------
   [CO2(aq)]

and pKa = -log(Ka)

Okay, lets apply this with Henry's law and work through it.

In flue gasses, you can expect about 8.8% CO2 [1]

CO2 (aq) = KCO2PCO2

But what's the KCO2?

Page 5-152.  SOLUBILITY OF CARBON DIOXIDE IN WATER AT VARIOUS TEMPERATURES AND PRESSURES.

Love the CRC.

At 100C, atmosperic (where condensation is taking place):  KCO2 = 1.96x10-4

PCO2 = 8.8%/100%x1Atm = 0.088 Atm

CO2(aq) = 1.96x10-4 * 0.088 Atm = 1.725x10^-5

Plug it in to the acid base equlibrium accounting for the second form of acid, bicarbonate; solve for a hydronium concentration:

6.35 = -log([H+]^2 / [1.725x10x-5])

Hydronium concentration = 1.73x10^4.  Therefore, PH is 3.76.

Battery acid (that is, the acid used in lead acid batteries) is reported, depending on charge state, to have an acidity of about 0.8 PH.

PH is, however a logethrimic scale, so for a better comparison, lets convert back to actual hydronum ion concentration.  

Ka = 0.44933

Lets compare this to the acidic concentration of condensing furnace effluant:

(1.73x10^4  / 0.44933 ) * 100% = 38,500%

In other words, no, condensing furnace condensate is actually nothing like “battery acid”.  You are completely incorrect.

Edited to add:  Please note, these are worst case numbers, in which full mixing and dissociation to theoretical limits are allowed to happen.

Haven't seen anyone calculate hydronium concentrations in 25 years.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2015, 05:49:47 PM »
Not even remotely in the same quantities. I've seen information online that indicates that depending on the size of the system, you can get upwards 10 gallons of condensate a day out of a high efficiency furnace.

Probably enough soap going down the drain to neutralize the furnace acidic effluents.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2015, 08:53:41 PM »

Could just have it dribble over a piece of limestone before it hits the drain?

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2015, 10:08:38 PM »
I've heard that some people do use limestone beds as neutralizers...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk