Author Topic: Buckle Up Baby Jesus, this is going to get bumpy!!!  (Read 20379 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Buckle Up Baby Jesus, this is going to get bumpy!!!
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2015, 01:16:08 PM »
Exactly. Katrina showed us what LE would do 

I think the Katrina operation had a positive effect on most LE.   It jarred many agencies into a "hey, what the hell are doing/thinking"  mentality.  It started the entire conversation on this issue.  And remember that quite a few states passed "No confiscation of firearms during an emergency" laws in the short time after.   

I'd be interested in hearing from APS'ers in NY and CT as how the bans/registrations are working there.  I've heard that upto 90% of all EBR's weren't registered.  So the questions would be:

"Do you friends still take their unregistered EBR's out to the range or to shoot?" 

"Does anyone check to see if they are registered?"

"Do you know of any arrests for having an unregistered EBR?"

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2015, 01:34:59 PM »
Has it EVER happened in living memory where someone who was PO'ed at the police walked up to the police milling around outside the perimeter just manning a squad car and roadblock and unloaded? I'm not talking about a few pops from a Hi-Point (well, even then!) but a string of aimed fire from a rifle with an optic?

That's the thing that POs me about the whole "your rights aren't as important as me going home at the end of the shift" attitude; even with all their "precautions" a small but ruthless group with lever action rifles could slaughter an entire department using a plan so simple it's pathetic.  Distract (handful of firecrackers and maybe a bullet through a window at some high priority location like the chief's house or a hospital) wait for maximum response, then engage with aimed fire from 3-4 points outside their perimeter just about the time they're starting to relax.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2015, 02:19:55 PM »
That's the thing that POs me about the whole "your rights aren't as important as me going home at the end of the shift" attitude; even with all their "precautions" a small but ruthless group with lever action rifles could slaughter an entire department using a plan so simple it's pathetic.  Distract (handful of firecrackers and maybe a bullet through a window at some high priority location like the chief's house or a hospital) wait for maximum response, then engage with aimed fire from 3-4 points outside their perimeter just about the time they're starting to relax.

That. And the fact it is a job one "applies" for. You wanted to be in LE. So, either they want to be special, or have not thought it through that at some point in their career they might be shot at. The prevalent culture in LE to view themselves as some kind of "military", non civilian force is rampant.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2015, 02:35:28 PM »
That. And the fact it is a job one "applies" for. You wanted to be in LE. So, either they want to be special, or have not thought it through that at some point in their career they might be shot at.

More importantly, unlike the military, a cop can turn in his badge and go find another job at any time, so not thinking about it beforehand is no excuse.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2015, 02:47:43 PM »
More importantly, unlike the military, a cop can turn in his badge and go find another job at any time, so not thinking about it beforehand is no excuse.

We have a winner! 

I go out of my way to correct LEOs who refer to non-LEOs as "civilians." 

"So, what branch of hte armed forces are you and your police department a member of?"
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2015, 03:01:33 PM »

"So, what branch of hte armed forces are you and your police department a member of?"

Pet peeve of mine as well. Not just because it is incorrectly attributed, but because it causes people on both sides of the blue line to look at each other differently.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2015, 03:18:39 PM »
I would add a few things:

1.  This discussion underscores that you need to support your gun rights organizations that are lobbying and fighting right now.  It is much much cheaper and easier to spare some cash now versus after the fact.  You might think about that the next time you get that junk mail.  

2.  Our entire law enforcement and domestic security apparatus is highly dispersed among many departments and governments.  Trying to predict whether they will all line up with tyranny or not is impossible.  They aren't all libertarians, but they are not all jack boots either.

3.  Judging by the non-compliance with assault weapon bans in New York State, it won't just be a few thousand gun owners being rounded up.  It will be more like 80 million.  More likely a large number of states will not comply.  I just think a whole lot of things would have to change quite a bit to allow something like this to happen.  Maybe I am judging that based on being in a smaller town in Texas.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2015, 03:31:48 PM »
ISIS, Taliban, IRA, Mujhadeen, Weathermen, Black Panthers, French Resistance, Bolsheviks.....

....doesn't take too many people who are willing to fight to disrupt a government....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2015, 03:34:18 PM »
Hell, just a few dozen Special Forces dudes would cause all manner of problems.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2015, 03:55:32 PM »
3.  Judging by the non-compliance with assault weapon bans in New York State, it won't just be a few thousand gun owners being rounded up.  It will be more like 80 million.  More likely a large number of states will not comply.  I just think a whole lot of things would have to change quite a bit to allow something like this to happen.  Maybe I am judging that based on being in a smaller town in Texas.

This, and more importantly, most of these small towns where gun ownership per capita is quite a bit higher than average also depend on the sheriff for SWAT type actions.  That means his team will be handling everything in the county and cities, so you'd be looking at 10-12 SWAT officers to go door to door on 12,500 households totaling 33,000 people.  Even if they split into three four man squads and did a search every 30 minutes, 24x7, it would take most of a year to get it done.  During that time, I would bet there would be a lot of people setting up some very effective resistance.  All of this assumes the (elected, and by people who like the 2nd Amendment) sheriff is even willing to help with a confiscation.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2015, 05:36:03 PM »
We have a winner! 

I love doing that too.  Pisses off the right people.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2015, 05:36:28 PM »
This, and more importantly, most of these small towns where gun ownership per capita is quite a bit higher than average also depend on the sheriff for SWAT type actions.  That means his team will be handling everything in the county and cities, so you'd be looking at 10-12 SWAT officers to go door to door on 12,500 households totaling 33,000 people.  Even if they split into three four man squads and did a search every 30 minutes, 24x7, it would take most of a year to get it done.  During that time, I would bet there would be a lot of people setting up some very effective resistance.  All of this assumes the (elected, and by people who like the 2nd Amendment) sheriff is even willing to help with a confiscation.

And this also assumes that there are no injunctions issued by courts to cease and desist the searches, or a suspension of 4A to legally permit a house-by-house search, which would get a lot of libs fired up.  

All of this is why I truly believe that confiscation searches on this scale won't happen.  Too many problems across the board.  And, if they tried, can't you imagine a lot of unregistered firearms would disappear before they got to the owner's home?  Hell, guns aren't like drugs or explosives.  Never heard of a gun sniffing dog.  So they would have to rip out the walls, tear up the floors, etc to check everywhere possible.  I would hope that level of searching would get everyone fired up, especially a bunch of lawyers and judges.  Yep, gotta set asiee the Constitution and eliminate judicial oversight...

Absent a declaration of the First American Empire, not bloody likely.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2015, 05:43:57 PM »
That. And the fact it is a job one "applies" for. You wanted to be in LE. So, either they want to be special, or have not thought it through that at some point in their career they might be shot at. The prevalent culture in LE to view themselves as some kind of "military", non civilian force is rampant.

The "my safety first" attitude doesn't make sense for the military either. Though it's been tried.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2015, 05:46:01 PM »
We have a winner! 

The city of St Louis just recently created a non-LE review board to scrutinize any future shootings of unarmedblackteenagers. Guess what it's called?  :facepalm:

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »
All of this is why I truly believe that confiscation searches on this scale won't happen.  Too many problems across the board.  And, if they tried, can't you imagine a lot of unregistered firearms would disappear before they got to the owner's home?

And how many of those gun owners would also decide it's worth losing that rusty, unreliable old Raven .25 to go plant it in some anti-gun activist's house and call in an anonymous tip?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2015, 06:27:30 PM »
I would add a few things:

1.  This discussion underscores that you need to support your gun rights organizations that are lobbying and fighting right now.  It is much much cheaper and easier to spare some cash now versus after the fact.  You might think about that the next time you get that junk mail.  

Thank you for reminding me.  In honor of our POTUS, B. Hussein 0bama, I re-upped my Illinois Carry supporting subscription.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2015, 06:49:47 PM »

The "my safety first" attitude doesn't make sense for the military either. Though it's been tried.

Heh.  The military's attitude is "Your safety first, whether you want it or not!".  And it makes zero sense.

The city of St Louis just recently created a non-LE review board to scrutinize any future shootings of unarmedblackteenagers. Guess what it's called?  Face Palm!

The Didndunufin Confirmation Board?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2015, 07:04:15 PM »

The city of St Louis just recently created a non-LE review board to scrutinize any future shootings of unarmedblackteenagers. Guess what it's called?  :facepalm:

Special Task Force Unicorn, because there ain't no such?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2015, 09:29:50 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2015, 10:20:41 PM »
You all are thinking about this through the wrong lens.

The government won't suspend rights and come knocking over guns - they'll do it in the name of stopping terrorists, and many of you will cheer them on until they arrive at your doors.

The Government already can and has thrown citizens in the gulag with no oversight.  The only question for future governments is the scale of gulagging they want to do.  Those powers were supported by some even here on APS, because at the time they were only used against scary Muslims. 

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2015, 11:11:28 PM »
You all are thinking about this through the wrong lens.

The government won't suspend rights and come knocking over guns - they'll do it in the name of stopping terrorists, and many of you will cheer them on until they arrive at your doors.

Yeah, right .... they're gonna visit all 330 million of us.  I'd like to see the math on that; how many federal agents X how many visits per day X how many houses per day = ? ? ? ? ?  ?  ? ? ? ?

The Government already can and has thrown citizens in the gulag with no oversight.  The only question for future governments is the scale of gulagging they want to do.  Those powers were supported by some even here on APS, because at the time they were only used against scary Muslims.  

"Scary Muslims?''' You mean the ones chopping off the heads of Christians??  ---'cause  that's pretty scary.
Or Tashfeen & Sayed, the San Bernardino  shoot 'em up team .... because that is also scary.  Not as scary as decapitation in a way but probably a lot more effective.
Or the "peaceful Muslims."  
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2015, 11:32:39 PM »
Jailing millions of people is well within reach for the government.  They do it every year.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2015, 10:30:53 AM »
St Louis's non-LE review board is called the Civilian Oversight Board. I guess Citizen Oversight Board didn't make a good enough acronym.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2015, 12:51:12 PM »
Jailing millions of people is well within reach for the government.  They do it every year.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

330 million is the entire population of America.

How does the govt.  imprison everyone? 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2015, 01:40:25 PM »
What we have here is a failure to communicate.

330 million is the entire population of America.

How does the govt.  imprison everyone? 

With liberal math, it works.  [popcorn]
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.