Author Topic: Any septic system guru's?  (Read 3562 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Any septic system guru's?
« on: December 12, 2015, 03:36:36 PM »
Our home septic system has been giving high water alarms whenever we get a significant amount of rain.  Even when nobody is home for several days and no domestic water is being used.  Everything is peachy when it's dry weather.  Clearly rain/ground water must be getting in somehow.  It's a Glendon Biofilter system, with a set of tanks by the house that catch the solids and then discharge the liquids to the mound system that's about 400 feet from the house. 

We've dug up the pipe that leads from the house to the buried tanks.  The ground around it is dry as a bone.  There's also a pipe that transfers the water from one portion of the tanks to another.  I dug that up and while the ground is wet, it's hardly saturated.  We used the hose to flood that trench to see if we could make any water flow into the tanks but if it made a difference to the dribble that was constantly going on anyway, I couldn't tell.

We're probably going to get the septic guy out to pump the tanks (the solids tank is pretty full) and I'd like to also have him inspect the system to see if any faults can be found.  But in the mean time some tips on what to do and where to look to Dx the problem would be appreciated.  That will also help me figure out if the septic guy tries to scam me on any repairs.
Formerly sumpnz

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Any septic system guru's?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 07:06:47 PM »
Did the builder do something stupid like discharging a gutter or sump pump into the septic system?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 07:13:58 PM »
I would offer a suggestion, but I don't know *expletive deleted*it.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 07:21:48 PM »
Did the builder do something stupid like discharging a gutter or sump pump into the septic system?

Brad

A fair question.  We checked the gutter discharges a while ago, and they don't go into the septic.  There is no sump pump.
Formerly sumpnz

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 07:30:14 PM »
We're probably going to get the septic guy out to pump the tanks (the solids tank is pretty full)

Might be the reason right there.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 07:37:31 PM »
Might be the reason right there.

Float for the alarm is in the last tank before it goes out to the mounds.  Solids are in the first tank.  There are 4 tanks total.
Formerly sumpnz

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 07:38:36 PM »
Float for the alarm is in the last tank before it goes out to the mounds.  Solids are in the first tank.  There are 4 tanks total.
But it could be full of *expletive deleted*it

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 07:44:29 PM »
But it could be full of *expletive deleted*it

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.

Most perceptive.
Formerly sumpnz

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 07:51:37 PM »

Is your yard sloped towards the opening of any of those tanks? towards the mound causing back flow?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 08:03:19 PM »
Is your yard sloped towards the opening of any of those tanks? towards the mound causing back flow?

Mounds are downhill from the tanks (they have to be).  It's pretty flat where the tanks are.  Most water flowing from uphill of the tanks gets diverted away from the tanks (and house).  At least I think so.

But there has to be rain/ground water getting into the tanks somehow.  I'm just having a really hard time figuring out where.
Formerly sumpnz

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 10:36:38 PM »
When they're pumping the tanks, have them inspect for cracks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 11:06:50 PM »
Mounds are downhill from the tanks (they have to be).  It's pretty flat where the tanks are.  Most water flowing from uphill of the tanks gets diverted away from the tanks (and house).  At least I think so.

But there has to be rain/ground water getting into the tanks somehow.  I'm just having a really hard time figuring out where.

How old is the system?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 02:02:35 AM »
Formerly sumpnz

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 08:27:41 AM »

Even so, the high level in the first tank could be pushing overflow water into the other tanks, water that the system would normally handle easily.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 10:21:02 AM »

Last time it was pumped out, all the tanks?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 08:05:02 PM »
Last time it was pumped out, all the tanks?

Not sure.  We moved in 2010.  But apparently the solids tank is by far the smallest.  SWMBO said, far as she can tell, the solids being full should make little or no difference compared to being empty.
Formerly sumpnz

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2015, 08:30:22 PM »
Not sure.  We moved in 2010.  But apparently the solids tank is by far the smallest.  SWMBO said, far as she can tell, the solids being full should make little or no difference compared to being empty.

May have filled up enough that it is moving solids to the other tanks.

Also, is your mound a peat system? The peat mats need to changed out after x number of years.

You may have some subterranean water movement (hydrology) happening if drainage tiles are plugged up moving water else where. Is there anyone up hill from you that may drain water into you yard, or has there been any changes in surface drainage near you. Abnormally wet? Hopefully your mound system isn't past it's useful life, where I live is 10-30 years depending upon use and soil type.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2015, 09:05:21 PM »
May have filled up enough that it is moving solids to the other tanks.

Also, is your mound a peat system? The peat mats need to changed out after x number of years.

You may have some subterranean water movement (hydrology) happening if drainage tiles are plugged up moving water else where. Is there anyone up hill from you that may drain water into you yard, or has there been any changes in surface drainage near you. Abnormally wet? Hopefully your mound system isn't past it's useful life, where I live is 10-30 years depending upon use and soil type.

We pulled the lids off and there aren't any solids (that we can see) going beyond where they're supposed to.

It's not physically possible for water to back up from the leech field.  It's about 400' away from the tanks, probably 8-10' vertical drop to the mounds. Also it's pumped from the last tank to the mounds, not gravity fed.  The pump moves the water well under all conditions that we've observed it. 

Not a peat system.  Glendon biofilter.  Follow the link in the OP for the details, but its basically a special sand filter bed.

Only changes to drainage near us is what we've done on our own land and if anything that should be helping us with this issue, not hurting us.
Formerly sumpnz

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2015, 09:13:55 PM »
Could also be water infiltration to the electrics causing a faulty sensor reading.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 09:21:12 PM »
Could also be water infiltration to the electrics causing a faulty sensor reading.

Brad

Good thought.  We've pulled the lid on that last tank during an alarm and the water was indeed high.
Formerly sumpnz

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2015, 09:39:41 PM »
Gotta be in the leech field then.  If ti makes it through x number of tanks and still doesn't drain off,  with perfect fall.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2015, 10:23:11 PM »
The alarm is defective.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Any septic system guru's?
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 06:27:40 PM »
The alarm is defective.
My guess too happened to my system

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 08:24:53 PM »
Corrosion in the control box caused ours to issue a couple false alarms.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2015, 05:53:07 PM »
So what did the septic guy say?

Uranus is a gas giant.