Author Topic: Virginia decides to suck on CCW's  (Read 5589 times)

dogmush

• friend
Virginia decides to suck on CCW's
« on: December 22, 2015, 10:07:38 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-attorney-general-mark-herring-delivers-blow-to-gun-rights-advocates/2015/12/21/d72ce3d0-a821-11e5-9b92-dea7cd4b1a4d_story.html

Apparently the AG of Virginia is planning on announcing today that he is dropping half the country from their CCW reciprocity list.  Unfortunately I'm stuck here in Newport News with a FL permit until June.  I wonder if VA's Open Carry numbers are about to skyrocket.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Virginia decides to suck on CCW's
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 10:09:05 AM »
Thanks, AGAIN!, Republican "elite" for stabbing our gubernatorial and other candidates in the back last election.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 10:16:04 AM »
Well, *expletive deleted*it.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 10:25:43 AM »
Well that sucks. I wonder how that affects holders of non-resident permits in other states. FL and UT are two of the most popular, and I see they nixed FL but still allow UT (again, they don't designate resident vs non-resident). I have both, and somehow I was thinking UT was more lax than FL, but UT is still good in VA.

Also, ID, for instance, has two permit types, regular and enhanced. The enhanced requires more training, but then allows you to carry in more places. I'll bet a stack of pancakes that the ID enhanced is not "weaker" than a VA permit, but ID is no longer allowed in VA either. But then we know this isn't about laws and logic, but about emotions and making "statements".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 10:27:48 AM »
Thanks, AGAIN!, Republican "elite" for stabbing our gubernatorial and other candidates in the back last election.

When the corporate GOP funders & establishment went pro-catamite on marriage(1), it seems that many in the party who hailed the change in policy did not expect it to become compulsory. 

(1) And targetted the base/conservative wing for suppression.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 10:30:55 AM »
He's fixing a non existent problem and he's using it to back door more gun control and as usual the Washington Post is shilling for them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 10:45:20 AM »
This year, Herring’s office began a review of reciprocity agreements Virginia has with 30 other states. Attorneys discovered that 25 of those states had concealed handgun permit regulations that were weaker than Virginia’s.

The State Police superintendent accepted Herring’s recommendation to sever agreements with those states, effective Feb. 1, according to Herring’s office.

The states are: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Agreements will remain with West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah.

As stated by the OP, how many more open carriers are there now going to be?  Does VA state law require you to be a state resident to open carry?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 10:53:37 AM »
As stated by the OP, how many more open carriers are there now going to be?  Does VA state law require you to be a state resident to open carry?

Last time I checked, no, but don't quote me.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 11:19:07 AM »
I can only assume this was also imposed so that those states will, in response, stop recognizing Virginia permits.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 12:40:07 PM »
My how VA has changed since we left, and NOT for the better...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 01:40:02 PM »

You should have stayed. Things wouldn't have changed. For once it's not Fistful's fault, it's yours. ;)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 01:50:19 PM »
I have a VA non-res permit.   I do  know that Indiana doesn't have reciprocity.  Their law states that they recognize any permit.  Which has been to taken to mean "Any permit from anywhere in the known universe.")

VA may have recognized SC"s permit, but I know my VA Non-res was not valid in SC.

This does blow chunks.  I guess I'll have go ahead and get UT and FL now.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 01:57:22 PM »
It is stunts like this why I don't like it when states will blanket recognize other states permits/license.  Oklahoma being one of them and as of now not effected by this decision. 

But it sucks that someone with a NY or CA permit can carry here but yet I can't carry in those states, if I ever find myself there for some reason or other.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 02:22:31 PM »
no wonder folks just ignore gun laws.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 02:29:30 PM »
werd.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 04:20:11 PM »
I can only assume this was also imposed so that those states will, in response, stop recognizing Virginia permits.

Some states have a regulation that states the originating state must recognize their permit in order for reciprocity to work.  Some of those will stop recognizing VA permits automatically.  This is of interest to me because I'm traveling for the holidays.  So far, the state I'm in is unaffected by this decision.

Chris

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 04:24:50 PM »
Some states have a regulation that states the originating state must recognize their permit in order for reciprocity to work.  Some of those will stop recognizing VA permits automatically.  This is of interest to me because I'm traveling for the holidays.  So far, the state I'm in is unaffected by this decision.

Chris

It doesn't go into effect until February 1, so you're good, either way.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »

I left 23 years ago because it sucked bad enough I didn't want to live there.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 05:35:24 PM »
It doesn't go into effect until February 1, so you're good, either way.

gotcha.  I was reading it on my wife's phone while talking to my parents, so I missed the commit date.

Chris

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 07:29:53 PM »
I left 23 years ago because it sucked bad enough I didn't want to live there.

What part of Virginia did you live in?  From 1970 to 2003, I lived in Hampton, Richmond, or Charlottesville, but avoided Northern Virginia like the plague.  We're considering retiring to Charlottesville or Abingdon, but the recent move left on guns in particular and politics in general is concerning.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 07:32:07 PM »

NFC

:angel:
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 10:44:39 PM »
What part of Virginia did you live in?  From 1970 to 2003, I lived in Hampton, Richmond, or Charlottesville, but avoided Northern Virginia like the plague.  We're considering retiring to Charlottesville or Abingdon, but the recent move left on guns in particular and politics in general is concerning.

I lived in Norfolk. My biggest complaint was the tax structure and dealing with DMV and the cost of living and the crime and way to *expletive deleted*ing many people way to *expletive deleted*ing close together.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 11:54:54 PM »
VA was beautiful, we met some great people and we mostly enjoyed living there. Norfolk was a big city and had big city drawbacks. Anything close to D.C. was too freaking close to D.C.. Anything close to the Mason/Dixon was too close to the freaking Mason/Dixon!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2015, 09:09:39 AM »
I lived in Norfolk. My biggest complaint was the tax structure and dealing with DMV and the cost of living and the crime and way to *expletive deleted*ing many people way to *expletive deleted*ing close together.

I hear you.  Norfolk never did much for us and Virginia Beach made me claustrophobic. And, the whole place is too dang flat!
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 09:18:05 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-attorney-general-mark-herring-delivers-blow-to-gun-rights-advocates/2015/12/21/d72ce3d0-a821-11e5-9b92-dea7cd4b1a4d_story.html

Apparently the AG of Virginia is planning on announcing today that he is dropping half the country from their CCW reciprocity list.  Unfortunately I'm stuck here in Newport News with a FL permit until June.  I wonder if VA's Open Carry numbers are about to skyrocket.

IIRC $100 gets you a VA Non-res permit.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.