Author Topic: Not So Silly String In Iraq  (Read 1173 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Not So Silly String In Iraq
« on: November 20, 2006, 08:31:42 AM »
Time
November 27, 2006

Notebook

Not So Silly String In Iraq

By Ellin Martens

American troops in Iraq have become masters of improvisation, like bolting jury-rigged armor to humvees to shield themselves from sniper fire and shrapnel. Lately, an even more novel item has joined their battle kits. Stratford, N.J., mom Marcelle Shriver recently got a call from her son Todd requesting... Silly String. Marines working with his unit in Iraq had shown the Army combat engineer how it can be used to detect trip wires. Before searching buildings, for example, personnel spray doorways from at least 10 ft. away with streams of foam--and see if they're snagged by barely visible wires, which are often affixed to bombs. The Army acknowledges the off-label use, and Marine spokesman Captain Jay Delarosa says, "We force Marine trainees to improvise." Shriver is raising money to mail string to Iraq (aerosol cans are haz-mat and costly to ship). So the next time you waste string at a party, remember it could save a life.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Re: Not So Silly String In Iraq
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 08:33:47 AM »
That is amazing.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 08:35:22 AM »
I have a query back to the sender as to why it's dated Nov 27.

Cool idea though huh?   

Maybe I'll have to send some to Ruben in the next package.  grin

Avoid cliches like the plague!

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 08:39:53 AM »
It's non-flammable now, too, after that kid got flame-throwered in the face at his birthday party.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 09:52:36 AM »
i read it on the interweb:
All this discussion about whether the military uses silly string or not. Who do you think invented it? The original mix came in 16oz cans and was called "wire detector" There were no party colors, it was all white for best visibility in all light conditions. Originally developed in Korea for detecting trip wired in mine fields it had limited use in Vietnam where humidity kept it from sticking to anything. Not carried by most US forces, they can only carry so much and the supply is limited, it is usually used by units dedicated to clearing mines and IEDs.

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/11/military_uses_f.html
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 10:04:20 AM »
I have a query back to the sender as to why it's dated Nov 27.

Probably because Time Magazine publishes in advance?  I've noticed some January issues of magazines on the rack already.
Don