Author Topic: Meat  (Read 12437 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Meat
« on: January 04, 2016, 11:27:30 PM »
Thursday my Rec Tec pellet grill gets here.

This weekend it gets used.

Step 1 (After burning in once) - season it by cooking something fatty.  A guy could oil it, or something lame like that.  Nope.  3lbs of Daily's (local guys) thick cut bacon ends and pieces to be smoked into pig candy.  http://www.smoking-meat.com/october-23-2014-smoked-bacon-candy-pig-candy

Step 2 - 3 choice New York strips.  Going to try reverse searing them.  Smoke them at 225 until about 120 105 to 115 depending on how folks want their meat done.  Rest while the grill heats all the way up, then move to the sear plates to finish.

Step 3 - Smoked Sockeye Salmon

mid week I'll probably grill some chicken breasts and vegetables

Next Weekend

Step 4 - pulled pork (planning lots of leftovers for lunches)

Step 5  - Sunday dinner.  8lb choice brisket that will have wet aged 42 days by the time it cooks.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Meat
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 12:14:35 AM »
I'm gonna buy myself a new grill come springtime and it will be something (hopefully a Holland grill) with which I can slow cook some meat! I can't really slow cook some ribs on my current grill.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 07:46:04 AM »
I'm gonna buy myself a new grill come springtime and it will be something (hopefully a Holland grill) with which I can slow cook some meat! I can't really slow cook some ribs on my current grill.

Take a look at Traeger grills. I'm probably going to get one with my tax refund. I have a couple of friends with them and I haven't eaten a bad piece of meat from them.

This is the one I am considering

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/pro-series/lil-tex.html?dwvar_lil-tex_color=BRZ#start=3

Also if you know how to use charcoal you can slow cook/smoke on a Weber kettle grill.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 09:06:56 AM »

Huh, interesting. I'm not surprised someone make a wood pellet stove. Though I see you're supposed to use special pellets, not the heating kind I have by the ton.   :lol:
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 09:27:35 AM »
41magsnub:

Where you located?  I have an 11YO boy with a hollow leg who could help you increase your meat grilling OPTEMPO.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 09:41:26 AM »
Take a look at Traeger grills. I'm probably going to get one with my tax refund. I have a couple of friends with them and I haven't eaten a bad piece of meat from them.

This is the one I am considering

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/pro-series/lil-tex.html?dwvar_lil-tex_color=BRZ#start=3

Also if you know how to use charcoal you can slow cook/smoke on a Weber kettle grill.

Only what I have been reading...  but Traeger has supposedly really fallen off on quality in the last few years.  Lots of QC problems and they haven't updated anything.  Seems like they are coasting along on their name.  There is a whole cottage industry around aftermarket controllers for them to do what comparably priced other products do out of the box.  The story usually goes the guy buys the grill at Costco from the display and either has a bunch of problems or gets buyers remorse because they could have had more for the money.  This coincides with offshoring the manufacturing to China.  They have a new CEO who says he will fix things.

I bought a Rec Tec.  http://www.rectecgrills.com/grills/ Twice the warranty, smaller company, and a more functional controller.  This one is also made in China, but all the finish work and assembly is done here.

If you want to get really snazzy on the controller look at green mountain grills http://greenmountaingrills.com/, they include wifi and a phone app connected to a cloud service.  You can fully manage the grill, and view grill and meat temperatures remotely.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:11:37 AM by 41magsnub »

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 10:05:31 AM »
Huh, interesting. I'm not surprised someone make a wood pellet stove. Though I see you're supposed to use special pellets, not the heating kind I have by the ton.   :lol:

Yep, the home heating pellets have a high chance of including some things you really don't want to cook over.  Soft woods, potentially treated lumber, that kind of thing.  The pellet grills have been taking off the last several years, gaining a lot of market share against gas and charcoal.  They are showing up at BBQ competitions and winning.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 10:08:39 AM »
41magsnub:

Where you located?  I have an 11YO boy with a hollow leg who could help you increase your meat grilling OPTEMPO.

Montana, a little far for dinner  =D

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 10:11:52 AM »
Yep, the home heating pellets have a high chance of including some things you really don't want to cook over.  Soft woods, potentially treated lumber, that kind of thing.  The pellet grills have been taking off the last several years, gaining a lot of market share against gas and charcoal.  They are showing up at BBQ competitions and winning.

It's a CNC wood fire, of course folks are gonna like it.  :lol:
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 10:12:36 AM »
I've looked at the pellet grills, and they're interesting.

But, if I'm going to be spending that kind of money, I'm going to buy a Big Green Egg or similar kamado style smoker cooker.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 11:41:14 AM »
Step 1 (After burning in once) - season it by cooking something fatty.

Duck
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 11:52:27 AM »
I've looked at the pellet grills, and they're interesting.

But, if I'm going to be spending that kind of money, I'm going to buy a Big Green Egg or similar kamado style smoker cooker.

I bought a cheaper Charbroil komado style grill after reading tons of reviews. Supposedly it will do just about everything a BGE will do, at about 1/4 the cost- it hasn't let me down so far, though I had to do a bit of modification (cut a gasket for the lower vent from a sheet of automotive gasket material). With a bit of tinkering and practice, It will hold a temperature as low as 225 for 14 hours or more. I've seared steaks at 750+ degrees- best steaks evah!
There is also a PID temperature control unit available for around $100.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_131712-49769-6719_0__?productId=3609214
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 12:38:45 PM »
Dang, I'd not see that one at Lowes. Yeah, that's a LOT better price wise than a BGE.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 12:56:52 PM »
Dang, I'd not see that one at Lowes. Yeah, that's a LOT better price wise than a BGE.

They aren't quite the same as a BGE though- do research before buying so you know what you're getting.
They don't have ceramic liners like the BG/traditional Komado, they are double walled steel and stuffed with fiberglass insulation (I think). The biggest problems I've read are the bottom  air valve leaking(can be fixed with gasket material) and the bottom rusting out over a couple of years. That being said, if or when mine fails, I'll buy another or will upgrade to a BGE or similar.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 01:00:12 PM »
I realize it's steel and not a BGE or a clay kamado.

Guy on another board I'm on actually made one of his own out of a couple of barrels. He can cook an impressive amount of chow in it.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 01:25:11 PM »
Only what I have been reading...  but Traeger has supposedly really fallen off on quality in the last few years.  Lots of QC problems and they haven't updated anything.  Seems like they are coasting along on their name. <snip> If you want to get really snazzy on the controller look at green mountain grills http://greenmountaingrills.com

I have heard the same. I used a Traeger and a Green Mountain Grill at the same time, side by side, last summer and was much more impressed with the controller on the Green Mountain grill. I was more impressed with the Green Mountain overall from fit and finish also.

I like the concept of a pellet grill but I am not too happy with the noise they make. I have been smoking stuff on a Weber kettle and Bullet Smokers for so long now I will just continue. I just bought another one at Cabelas, the last one I had still works but is just beat up from blowing over in the wind a couple of times. I bought it about 7 years ago. This is the one. It has been a solid performer. I can fit appx 75 beef ribs in it or a whole brisket will fit on one shelf. The only downside is the cold, when it gets cold I wrap it with a quilted moving blanket to keep the temp up.

bob

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 01:28:57 PM »
Montana, a little far for dinner  =D

Maybe for him...not for me. ;)

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 01:31:31 PM »
I used to put a big cardboard box over my Brinkmann bullet smoker to keep the temp up in the cold. Cut a couple of air holes in the bottom and top to make sure it didn't choke out and it worked wonders.

It was a neat unit, but it was hard as hell to control the heat levels.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 03:52:42 PM »
I have heard the same. I used a Traeger and a Green Mountain Grill at the same time, side by side, last summer and was much more impressed with the controller on the Green Mountain grill. I was more impressed with the Green Mountain overall from fit and finish also.

I like the concept of a pellet grill but I am not too happy with the noise they make. I have been smoking stuff on a Weber kettle and Bullet Smokers for so long now I will just continue. I just bought another one at Cabelas, the last one I had still works but is just beat up from blowing over in the wind a couple of times. I bought it about 7 years ago. This is the one. It has been a solid performer. I can fit appx 75 beef ribs in it or a whole brisket will fit on one shelf. The only downside is the cold, when it gets cold I wrap it with a quilted moving blanket to keep the temp up.

bob

This is replacing a cheap electric smoker that I tried first, a Brinkman Gourmet barrel style.  When it worked it did fine, but it ate heating elements about every 4 cooks.  Did a warranty replacement on the first two and when it happened again it was the last straw.  That is not reflective of the technology, just the utter POS that Brinkman put out.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HVEBWK

I've talked to multiple folks that I ate great BBQ from and each one said get a Traeger, they've had them for years.  Was about to push the button but was scared off by more recent experiences with them.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 04:12:02 PM »
So is this the thread where white people meat?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 04:27:27 PM »
So is this the thread where white people meat?

No, it's where people eat white meat... Or red meat... Or dark meat... We're not meat racists.... :)

Because meat lives matter...
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 02:56:49 AM »
This is replacing a cheap electric smoker that I tried first, a Brinkman Gourmet barrel style.  When it worked it did fine, but it ate heating elements about every 4 cooks.

How the hell do you fark up electric heating elements?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Meat
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 03:11:51 AM »
Thursday my Rec Tec pellet grill gets here.

This weekend it gets used.

Step 1 (After burning in once) - season it by cooking something fatty.  A guy could oil it, or something lame like that.  Nope.  3lbs of Daily's (local guys) thick cut bacon ends and pieces to be smoked into pig candy.  http://www.smoking-meat.com/october-23-2014-smoked-bacon-candy-pig-candy

Step 2 - 3 choice New York strips.  Going to try reverse searing them.  Smoke them at 225 until about 120 105 to 115 depending on how folks want their meat done.  Rest while the grill heats all the way up, then move to the sear plates to finish.

Step 3 - Smoked Sockeye Salmon

mid week I'll probably grill some chicken breasts and vegetables

Next Weekend

Step 4 - pulled pork (planning lots of leftovers for lunches)

Step 5  - Sunday dinner.  8lb choice brisket that will have wet aged 42 days by the time it cooks.

Tease

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 05:50:25 AM »

Crappy quality control during production, cheap nichrome blends, etc.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 08:02:09 AM »

Short to ground, arc, *expletive deleted*it it doesn't work any more.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536