Author Topic: Dollar Coins Making a Comeback?  (Read 5334 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Dollar Coins Making a Comeback?
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2006, 06:46:02 AM »
make them distinct and it would be fine

I reach into my pocket for change and I can tell what is what, excpet for danged quarters and dollar coins.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2006, 07:19:39 AM »
They can't win.
I remember the Eisenhower dollar.  People complained it was too heavy.
I remember the SB Anthony dollar.  People complained it was easily mistaken for a quarter.
I remember the Sacagawea dollar.  People complained it was odd looking.
There is virtually no way to make a coin that would satisfy all these issues.  Also I think part of it is that when they use the coin as a platform for political correctness they lose the majority of Americans.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2006, 08:39:52 AM »
I love finding old Ike or Kennedy coins.

Especially the silver ones  grin

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2006, 09:13:41 AM »
To me, the only relevant discussion is between the current ugly, worthless tokens and real coins of gold and silver. To those that complain of weight, a one-ounce gold coin is worth about $625; how much darned money do you have in your pocket anyways? A silver dollar would buy about 5 gallons of gas; a tenth-ounce gold coin several tanks full.

The discussion of which tokens to prefer is sickening.  angry

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2006, 09:25:23 AM »
Kind of easily sickened, eh?

It's like eating MREs.

They are what I have to deal with, so I might as well get the one I like the best.

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2006, 09:32:21 AM »
Kind of easily sickened, eh?

Guilty.  smiley

Yes, in my old age, certain topics really get to me. I experienced hard money and miss it dearly. The idea that some youngsters are "collecting" these modern tokens is truly revolting.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2006, 09:41:52 AM »
No, you just enjoy taking the moral "high road" of anarchism on a "statist" website, and urinating on us "statists."   rolleyes
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2006, 09:45:14 AM »
From now on I will refer to them as "coinies"

Might as well go for a twofer  grin

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2006, 10:19:33 AM »
No, you just enjoy taking the moral "high road" of anarchism on a "statist" website, and urinating on us "statists."   rolleyes

That, too.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2006, 06:43:20 PM »
Yep, funny how virtually all of the machines that give dollar coins in change are held by PRIVATE companies...
You think mass transit and municipal parking garages are run by private companies? Not in any way that matters, they aren't.

Yep, you're right. Municipal parking garages are at the forefront of the vast Illuminati conspiracy to make you all into uberdrones. Every time you get onto a city bus you're bombarded with subliminal Hitlerian messages of statist conformity.

The New York subway system, the Washington DC metro system and just about every major transport system I can think of in this country are
are established as semi-private corporations that operate independently of direct governmental control.

Washington metro's parking lot/garage concessions are subbed out to private contractors.

Hum... You know, virtually ever mile of highway and interstate in the United States is owned/maintained by a governmental entity. How uberdroned did you feel the last time you pulled into traffic?

You'd better check your tinfoil. I think it's wearing thin on top.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2006, 08:27:30 PM »
Municipal parking garages are at the forefront of the vast Illuminati conspiracy to make you all into uberdrones. Every time you get onto a city bus you're bombarded with subliminal Hitlerian messages of statist conformity.
Nice straw man there, slick.
D. R. ZINN

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2006, 01:52:52 AM »
Only on this board could the introduction of commemorative coinage engender name calling.  rolleyes

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2006, 03:39:00 AM »
I'd vote for a larger coin made of titanium. It's light and strong and in 1998 it was worth about $0.60 a troy ounce. Anyone know what it's worth today? It WOULD be nice to see coins that are worth their value in terms of metallic content even if it's not silver and gold. Meanwhile, If they DO start issuing other dollar coins I'll get mine in the silver proof sets I buy every year. I've got them all the way back to the start of the state quarters program. Two more years and I've got the whole series. IIRC they ALL contain a Sacajawea dollar. I know the 06 one did, I'd have to recheck the earlier ones to be sure.  BTW I like Morgans the best, "Cowboy money" "wagon wheels".

All the sets are in safe deposit but I happen to have a stray 2000 set here for some reason. It contains a Sacajawea dollar. And the old Jefferson Nickel too. Beautiful coins and call me biased but I still think the CT one is the best of them all. grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2006, 08:51:01 AM »
Pennies are worth about 1.6 cents in zinc right now.

I like the titanium idea. Give it a black finish and it'll be tactical!

Volt

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2006, 08:15:52 PM »
I spent two weeks in New Zealand and they have one and two dollar coins. Plus they no longer have the penny and the price on everything has the sales tax included. The prices tended to be rounded to nice even numbers like $0.50 $1.00 $1.50 or $2.00. At first I did not like it but after a few days I really got to like those one and two dollar coins. Very handy to toss a few coins in you pocket. You do not have to pull out your wallet all the time. Just toss a few coins on the counter often for the exact amount.
My user name is lbmii on the "High Road".

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2006, 11:54:02 AM »
Downside is a pocket full of coins.

Plus may be that it forces you to use your change rather than filling jars and such with it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2006, 03:17:44 AM »
baldguy you're really funny!
I know most countries have dollar coins. I know most countries have strippers as well. I'm guessing they solved that problem.
Heh! maybe thats the real reason guys don't like coin dollars
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Lee

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2006, 05:26:38 PM »
"baldguy you're really funny!
I know most countries have dollar coins. I know most countries have strippers as well. I'm guessing they solved that problem.
Heh! maybe thats the real reason guys don't like coin dollars"

Ummm ...without being too graphic, I'd think they would be more unpopular with the strippers than with the guys.   

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2006, 06:27:41 AM »
This is all just a ploy by the adult entertainment industry to make more money for strippers.  Can't very well stick a dollar coin in a g-string or garter now can ya?  Guess you have to start using fives.

Greg

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2006, 01:51:52 PM »
Actually, there was a local strip joint that gave Susie B dollar coins as change when you got a drink from the bar. Last time I was there was back in the late 80's. People put them on the edge of the stage just like a bill. But it looked like guys were putting up quarters for the dancers...lol!

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2006, 12:01:43 PM »
I would rather have paper bills in subdollar amounts than more coins.  Since some court said we have to redesign our money for blind people, why not?  And while we are at it, why not revalue our money by an order of magnitude.  Make a new penny worth $0.10 in current money, etc.

But if people want to use more coins... to "manage" that change you'd really need a pocket-sized change purse, which exist, but it is a pain to pack that in one pocket and a wallet in another.

Peter Ratner

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2006, 12:03:32 PM »
I don't know about the dollar coins, but this is what our new paper currency might look like.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2006, 12:40:34 PM »
I dunno, Pete.  That looks like my bank balance! grin