Author Topic: Flying lesson!  (Read 4336 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Flying lesson!
« on: January 07, 2016, 05:11:05 PM »
Next vid should be even better since I now have three cameras.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26F1RSm1HUQ
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Unisaw

• friend
Re: Flying lesson!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 05:50:08 PM »
Very nice!  I subscribed and am looking forward to future videos.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 06:00:39 PM »
Very nice!  I subscribed and am looking forward to future videos.

I plan to post something for each lesson. I figure even if I *expletive deleted*ck everything up on a lesson, people can learn from it
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 06:06:03 PM »
On my very first flight, I broke off the knob for turning on the transponder. Class D airport; transponder required. The instructor called the tower and got a waiver for our departure and return. No idea what the repair cost them.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 06:51:51 PM »
Looks scary and dangerous.

For the instructor!   >:D =D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 08:00:17 PM »
Looks scary and dangerous.

For the instructor!   >:D =D

He didn't appreciate when I told him that I wasn't concerned with learning to land... or when I yelled "Allahu Akbar" when ATC gave us a traffic advisory...
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 10:45:46 PM »
Fitz...

If i recall you are in the dfw area.  I would suggest you make your way to meacham filed in fort worth where they have a flight museum.  It is the bittyest flight museum i ever visited.  But the absolute best because the volunteers were terrific.  They answered all my kids questions and gave us all an open invitation to come and help wrench on and restore vintage aircraft by the end.  Makes me want to move nearby so my son and daughter would have such a grand opportunity.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 10:47:48 PM »
Fitz...

If i recall you are in the dfw area.  I would suggest you make your way to meacham filed in fort worth where they have a flight museum.  It is the bittyest flight museum i ever visited.  But the absolute best because the volunteers were terrific.  They answered all my kids questions and gave us all an open invitation to come and help wrench on and restore vintage aircraft by the end.  Makes me want to move nearby so my son and daughter would have such a grand opportunity.

I'll make sure to check that out! My kid LOVES aviation museums. The flying pancake at love field is her favorite :-D
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 10:51:19 PM »
Fitz...

I heartily endorse the notion of your and your kids wrenching on old airplanes.  If the opportunity arises, grab it.
BTDT, worth every minute.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 11:22:18 PM »
I'd like to build something eventually...
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 08:11:38 AM »
What airport do you use?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 08:58:27 AM »
What airport do you use?

Club is based in Addison. Apparently Mckinney is  the usual choice for pattern work
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 09:21:23 AM »
Wow.  Didn't know you could advance that far in one lesson!  Really enjoyed that.  Could you have maybe zoomed out to see some of the instruments and the controls?  (I know you're getting more cameras to cover this.)

Dumb question:

In the recovery from the stall, is the turning on re-powering due to the sudden engine torque tipping the wings?

Good advice I heard somewhere... "Always fly in the middle of the air, not the top or the bottom."  Always thought that was funny.

Terry, groundlubber.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 11:33:56 AM »
Wow.  Didn't know you could advance that far in one lesson!  Really enjoyed that.  Could you have maybe zoomed out to see some of the instruments and the controls?  (I know you're getting more cameras to cover this.)

Dumb question:

In the recovery from the stall, is the turning on re-powering due to the sudden engine torque tipping the wings?

Good advice I heard somewhere... "Always fly in the middle of the air, not the top or the bottom."  Always thought that was funny.

Terry, groundlubber.

Unfortunately , the perspective you see is all you get on this vid.  I have some ideas about how to get some better views .

As for the turning, I'm sure that was some of it .  But the bigger part of it was me not being coordinated To begin with I think

Also. Today I passed the written exam
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 12:22:01 PM »

Also. Today I passed the written exam

100% right, I assume.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 12:26:06 PM »
Club is based in Addison. Apparently Mckinney is  the usual choice for pattern work

I thought it was Addison, based on those exposed-beam hangars on the right side.  Those were the Rockwell hangars way back when.  I got started there then finished at AriBen Aviator.

McKinney has always been the place for air and pattern work. Addison is too busy these days.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 01:52:15 PM »
100% right, I assume.

No. I'm terrible at rote memorization type questions and I drew a lot of em. I got an 82

"What part of the FAR covers airspaces"

*expletive deleted*ck i dunno. I will use the index to find it if I ever need it
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 04:41:51 PM »
This is testing other cams...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5_TAoXF7-I

I don't know that I like the over the shoulder view. May switch that cam back to the nose of the bird.

Thoughts?

LOVE the wing view and cabin views
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 05:46:52 PM »
Another one. still dinkin around with cams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO3cCRTQURM
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 06:56:41 PM »
Another one. still dinkin around with cams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO3cCRTQURM

You need a bigger plane.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 07:13:12 PM »
Looks like Fitz is having fun.   =D

"When some people lose an engine, they don't have to turn back as far."  Did he really say that?  :O  Whatever happened to landing straight ahead when the big fan quits?  I thought that was the safest course of action after an engine failure.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 07:15:08 PM »
Looks like Fitz is having fun.   =D

"When some people lose an engine, they don't have to turn back as far."  Did he really say that?  :O  Whatever happened to landing straight ahead when the big fan quits?  I thought that was the safest course of action after an engine failure.

Depends on what lies straight ahead.  Always be on the lookout for a safe-ish place to land in an emergency.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 07:18:06 PM »
Depends on what lies straight ahead.  Always be on the lookout for a safe-ish place to land in an emergency.

Granted, sometimes a bit of a turn may be necessary to find that safe-ish spot, but to turn back to the airport after the mill quits leads to a stall spin more often than not, doesn't it?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 07:24:46 PM »
Granted, sometimes a bit of a turn may be necessary to find that safe-ish spot, but to turn back to the airport after the mill quits leads to a stall spin more often than not, doesn't it?

No.  Exceeding the critical angle of attack while in uncoordinated flight leads to a stall/spin.  /aerodynamics Nazi.

What happens is a pilot will attempt to make that turn around, realize he is too low or in too wide of a turn and try to tighten the turn.  Then he starts bleeding airspeed, so he lowers the nose.  Then he realizes he is too low and still needs to tighten the turn, so he pulls the nose up, adds bank or too much rudder, and... ta-da!... a one turn spin right into the ground.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 09:24:21 PM »
Looks like Fitz is having fun.   =D

"When some people lose an engine, they don't have to turn back as far."  Did he really say that?  :O  Whatever happened to landing straight ahead when the big fan quits?  I thought that was the safest course of action after an engine failure.

If you note again, he prefaces that with "some people like to turn blah blah blah, so that if they lose an engine they don't have to turn back as far"

He does not advocate making the impossible turn. At all.

Southbound departures from Addison leave precious little. I think the only half decent option is the toll road. If traffic is bad, the impossible turn might be the only good option. I'll have to look at the google earth again.

Also depends on altitude. If I have lots of it by then, I'd try to circle around. Even if I could only make the grass, the displaced threshold, or a taxiway. At 700 agl, i'm looking no further than a 30 degree arc in front of me. Also I read an article about strategic crashing. Fly it until it stops, and use obstacles at the wing to absorb impact, etc.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog