Author Topic: One can wish -TX gov bolstering a Convention Of States decision  (Read 3380 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: One can wish -TX gov bolstering a Convention Of States decision
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2016, 07:10:36 PM »

*shrug*

The only positive thing I could see from a convention of states would be just putting teeth into the Constitution. Add another amendment that any significant, knowing violation of the Constitution by any elected or unelected persons in government service is a felony. Or subject to fine. Or hell, nothing other than being unable to hold another government position for the rest of their life. I'd be fine with letting bad actors walk away unscathed if it meant they would be unable to harm anyone in the future.

Let's rephrase this to address Brad's concerns. What do folks want to exactly add to the Constitution? What needs fixing? I pointed one serious hole in the Constitution is any meaningful punishment for violating it. There could be others, but I'm leery to put it mildly. Our current Constitution does have flaws, but the price of fixing them may be unreasonably high.

Another thing to recall is that any small group's utopia is a living hell for the vast majority. That's why we didn't get a utopian Constitution, we got a roughly practical one. Perhaps too practical in some regards, but still...
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

txgho1911

• friends
  • sedition hammer
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2016, 09:58:08 PM »
Article 5 Convention of States is not a concon.
Most of the states that have started state deliberation have legislated rules and guidelines for participation. conventionofstates.org  FAQ with other reading material on it.
socialnewswatchDOTcom instead of Drudge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2016, 09:29:32 AM »
Article 5 Convention of States is not a concon.
Most of the states that have started state deliberation have legislated rules and guidelines for participation. conventionofstates.org  FAQ with other reading material on it.

Neither was the concon in 1787.  Its "sole and express purpose of revising the Articles of Confederation" and not tossing them aside completely.

I still think it worth trying, so if/when it fails no one can say we did not try every option before pulling the ripcord.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 09:36:05 AM »

I still think it worth trying, so if/when it fails no one can say we did not try every option before pulling the ripcord.

This right here.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

txgho1911

• friends
  • sedition hammer
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2016, 11:33:10 AM »
"ripcord"  So that may be where we all get to all caps on all?
socialnewswatchDOTcom instead of Drudge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2016, 02:46:39 PM »
This is my opinion of the suggestions:

Governor Abbott offered the following constitutional amendments:

1)Prohibit Congress from regulating activity that occurs wholly within one State.
Good.

Require Congress to balance its budget.
Good.

Prohibit administrative agencies—and the unelected bureaucrats that staff them—from creating federal law.
Good.

Prohibit administrative agencies—and the unelected bureaucrats that staff them—from preempting state law.
Good.

Allow a two-thirds majority of the States to override a U.S. Supreme Court decision.
NO!!!!

Require a seven-justice super-majority vote for U.S. Supreme Court decisions that invalidate a democratically enacted law.
Like Heller v. DC????  NO!  This would make the Supreme Court impotent.

Restore the balance of power between the federal and state governments by limiting the former to the powers expressly delegated to it in the Constitution.
That would be great, but... they are going to pass the 10th amendment again?

Give state officials the power to sue in federal court when federal officials overstep their bounds.
Good.

Allow a two-thirds majority of the States to override a federal law or regulation.
Good.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2016, 09:34:06 AM »

Re 2/3 of states can override the Supreme Court. There's already a process for that. It's called an "amendment".
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2016, 11:32:29 AM »
Re 2/3 of states can override the Supreme Court. There's already a process for that. It's called an "amendment".
Well, 3/4, but your meaning is clear.  Wickard v. Filburn has destroyed the commerce clause.  We don't fix that, we don't fix anything.  Remove the prefatory clause to the 2nd.  Might want to revisit the 14th, and somehow codify "equal protection".  Establish explicit rules for eligibility to vote in Federal elections, starting with limiting the franchise to taxpayers.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.