Author Topic: Elderly Woman Killed; 3 APD Officers Wounded  (Read 6379 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Elderly Woman Killed; 3 APD Officers Wounded
« on: November 21, 2006, 07:21:41 PM »
Yay for the War on Drugs!
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/10374909/detail.html

Elderly Woman Killed; 3 APD Officers Wounded

POSTED: 7:41 pm EST November 21, 2006
UPDATED: 10:41 pm EST November 21, 2006

ATLANTA -- Three Atlanta police officers were shot and wounded and an elderly woman killed at a house in northwest Atlanta Tuesday night.

The woman, who relatives say was 92-years-old, opened fire on the officers from the narcotics division at a house at 933 Neal Street, according to officials. Authorities say they received a tip of drug activity taking place at the home and officers were headed to the house with a search warrant.

Relatives identified the elderly woman as Katherine Johnston.

The woman's niece, Sarah Dozier, says that she bought her aunt a gun to protect herself and that her aunt had a permit for the gun. Relatives believe Johnston was frightened by the officers and opened fire.

"They kicked her door down talking about drugs, there's no drugs in that house. And they realize now, they've got the wrong house," Dozier said. "I'm mad as hell." Officials say they had the correct house and that the warrant they had was legal.

All three of the officers were taken to Grady Memorial Hospital. Officials there say the officers are alive, alert and talking. One officer was struck in the arm, one officer was struck in the shoulder and one officer was struck in the thigh. All of the officers are expected to be okay.

WSB-TV Channel 2 has reporters at the hospital and at the scene of the shooting; they will have live updates on Channel 2 Action News @ 11.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Elderly Woman Killed; 3 APD Officers Wounded
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 08:27:08 PM »
Based on the "news reports" about this from myfoxatlanta.com, the cops messed up on this, and unfortunately an innocent woman was killed by these bozos.

Another "Glorious Success" in the War on Drugs!

And people some cops wonder why they are so disliked....
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 04:46:25 AM »
Based on the "news reports" about this from myfoxatlanta.com, the cops messed up on this, and unfortunately an innocent woman was killed by these bozos.

Another "Glorious Success" in the War on Drugs!

And people some cops wonder why they are so disliked....

To paraphrase Rage Against the Machine....
F@#! the Police!
 grin
I'm proud of the old bat, she winged three of them.  In my opinion, these thugs are no different than any other home invaders.  So they had a warrant based on a tip in thier hands?  How about attempting to buy and verify?  How about some GD survelliance?  Bad police work and over zealous jack-booted-thuggery got an old woman killed and three police wounded....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 05:25:26 AM »
She got killed over an ANONYMOUS FRAKKING TIP!!!!!!!

I'm sure the officers "followed department procedure" so all is well.

Someone needs to be jailed over this kind of crap!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 05:38:54 AM »
92 years old, scared for her life, up against a trained team armed with assault rifles or SMGs, and she still manages three hits on three targets before they take her down.

Well done, ma'am.  grin
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 05:48:54 AM »
The article has been updated slightly.

Looks like these were plainclothes officers too.

What do we know?
Cops get a tip (we don't know that it was anonymous, Bob) and send officers to serve it, at least some apparently not uniformed.
Officers at some point forcibly open the door.
There is an exchange of fire killing Kathryn Johnson and wounding three of the plainclothes officers.

That's about it.

So far, this doesn't look very good for the police.  Ms. Johnson may have been a hardened drug dealer who deserved what she got, but it is possible that instead she was an innocent person - older, so she possibly who didn't see or hear very well - who saw a group of home-invaders forcing their way into her domicile with weapons drawn talking about drugs.  Seeing these intruders, she tried to stop them.

Can't say for certain one way or another, but like I said it doesn't look very good.
ATLANTA -- Three Atlanta police officers were shot and wounded and an elderly woman killed at a house in northwest Atlanta Tuesday night.

The woman, identified by relatives as 92-year old Kathryn Johnson, opened fire on the officers from the narcotics division at a house at 933 Neal Street, according to officials. Authorities say they received a tip of drug activity taking place at the home and officers were headed to the house with a search warrant.

The woman's niece, Sarah Dozier, says that she bought her aunt a gun to protect herself and that her aunt had a permit for the gun. Relatives believe Johnston was frightened by the officers and opened fire.

Her relatives say Johnson had lived in the house for about 17 years.

"They kicked her door down talking about drugs, there's no drugs in that house. And they realize now, they've got the wrong house," Dozier said. "I'm mad as hell." Officials say they had the correct house and that the warrant they had was legal.

Assistant Chief Alan Dreher says the officers had a legal warrant and "knocked and announced" before they forced open the door. He said they were justified in returning fire when they were fired upon.

Dozier said there were never any drugs at the house. She says her aunt must have panicked when the police forced their way into the home.

She says the officers "shot her down like a dog."

The plainclothes Atlanta Police officers were transported to Grady Memorial Hospital for treatment. One officer was struck in the arm, one officer was struck in the shoulder and one officer was struck in the thigh. All are expected to recover.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 06:18:53 AM »
you know the rest of us are held accountable when we make a major screw up, esspecialy one that gets someone killed.

I think its time we start holding police accountable for their screw ups as well.  They got shot at?  Boo friggin hoo.  Don't bust down the wrong persons door in the first place and they wont assume they are under a home invasion and shoot.  I get woken up at two i nthe morning by someone busting my door down are breaking a window and climbing through it I am supposed to take seconds that could cost me my life to decide if it is a police officer or not?  BS  angry

She made it to 92, she shouldn't have had to go out this way  angry
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 06:37:10 AM »
you know the rest of us are held accountable when we make a major screw up, esspecialy one that gets someone killed.

I think its time we start holding police accountable for their screw ups as well.  They got shot at?  Boo friggin hoo.  Don't bust down the wrong persons door in the first place and they wont assume they are under a home invasion and shoot.  I get woken up at two i nthe morning by someone busting my door down are breaking a window and climbing through it I am supposed to take seconds that could cost me my life to decide if it is a police officer or not?  BS  angry

She made it to 92, she shouldn't have had to go out this way  angry

Another case against no-knock warrants.  And now criminals use it to thier advantage, kicking in doors yelling police, tying up the occupants and then robbing them....
Personally, I've got no reason to believe that the police would come into my home....therefore, anyone kicking in my door is viewed as a home invader and is going to recieve incoming rounds.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 06:40:54 AM »
yes and now the problem is that A) there is going to be a swat team that will kill you

or B) You are going to jail for killing a police officer is redicules

If you are innocent and have no reason for the police to be breaking in your door you should have much right to defend yourself from a police officer as a common criminal.  A badge doesn't give you the right to wrongfully enter my home and put the life of my family and myself in danger.

Actually it does at current, but it shouldn't.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 06:43:54 AM »
yes and now the problem is that A) there is going to be a swat team that will kill you

or B) You are going to jail for killing a police officer is redicules

If you are innocent and have no reason for the police to be breaking in your door you should have much right to defend yourself from a police officer as a common criminal.  A badge doesn't give you the right to wrongfully enter my home and put the life of my family and myself in danger.

Actually it does at current, but it shouldn't.

True and unfortunate, but I refuse to be a victim because the person yells "police".  How do I know they really are police?
JD

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 06:44:28 AM »

or B) You are going to jail for killing a police officer

There is at least one guy in prison for this right now.

The cops are lucky she used a shotgun.  A rifle likely would have punch through their armor.

ebd10

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 06:47:29 AM »
You have to admire her pluck, though. She managed to hit 3 people while under stress and who knows what kind of training. It's a shame that she died, but at least she died hard.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 06:48:05 AM »
yes there is

Fell asleep and had his baby daughter in the house

Whats the most he had in that story?  I think a tiny bit of a joint?

Yeah, great thing to have your life ruined over cause the morons picked the wrong dang house.

Volt

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 06:55:52 AM »
She used a shotgun?

Wow think of that! She is 92 years old, caught off guard by heavly armed and trained men kicking in her door, and she puts three on three with a shotgun! 

That's better than I or just about anyone here could hope to do.
My user name is lbmii on the "High Road".

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 06:58:39 AM »
she never should have had too

the officers who entered her home should be stripped of their badges, and put on trial for breaking and entering and at the very least mansluaghter if not murder.

I understand officers need to have powers other citizens don't get, and that sometimes mistakes happen. 

But when officers outright break into the wrong house and kill someone they need to be held jsut as accountable as anyone else who breaks into a house and kills someone.

Antibubba

• friend
We can close the thread now-we know how this will go
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 07:21:05 AM »

• Outrage in the news, on the street, and by politicians of every stripe
  • City and police officials will be tight-lipped, and say incident is under investigation
  • Sharpton or Jackson will show up; a vigil involving weeping and candles ensues
  • Family begins civil proceedings
  • Eager city official, hoping to further his political career, will tell reporters "the old lady was a hardened criminal" or such
  • Eager beaver is fired
  • Years later, the city will pay millions of dollars to the family (and tens of millions in legal fees) without ever admitting wrongdoing

Thereby setting up the conditions for it to happen all over again.

Bets anyone?  angry
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 07:42:03 AM »
Im a bit of a betting man but not bets I know are sure to loose lol

Its going to be hard for them to explain this one away i nthe news.  This one is already national.  I don't recall the case mentioned before with the man and his baby ever making real national news

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 07:57:40 AM »
Any word if there will be criminal prosecutions for this alleged debacle?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 09:19:20 AM »
... Ms. Johnson may have been a hardened drug dealer who deserved what she got, ...

Deserved death for selling a product?

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 09:39:33 AM »
So much for Scalia's "professionalism."
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 09:46:29 AM »
Deserved death for selling a product?
Some would say so.

Volt

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 11:15:37 AM »
On the news a friend of the lady said she thought she used an old rusty pistol.

One guy was hit in the chest, face and leg, another in the leg and another in the arm.

Dang good for anyone under suprise attack, outnumbered and taking fire. Plus 92 years old. That calls for respect.
My user name is lbmii on the "High Road".

molonlabe

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2006, 12:52:28 PM »
Good reason to keep AP's loaded in your rifles
The United States Constitution
? 1791. All Rights Reserved.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 12:55:35 PM »
I have two Mosin-Nagants.  Everything is AP Smiley

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 01:17:54 PM »
And people some cops wonder why they are so disliked

Well, I would think they shouldn't have to wonder after this  angry
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin