Author Topic: Kimber wheel-gun  (Read 3020 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Kimber wheel-gun
« on: January 18, 2016, 06:47:24 PM »
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2016/01/18/kimber-k6s-revolver/

Surprising. I would have expected an AR or a shotgun first.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Kimber wheel-gun
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 07:17:14 PM »
Interesting.   Looks like a modernized version of the Detective Special.  Given the political climate, it's a politically correct move...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 07:49:21 PM »
Interesting.   Looks like a modernized version of the Detective Special.  Given the political climate, it's a politically correct move...

I have read some scuttlebutt that this positions Kimber well for sales in California, as semi-auto sales there get more restricted.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 07:53:40 PM »
Me likey!   [ar15]

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 08:06:47 PM »
Looks nice, but seems a little pricey. For that much, I'll stick with my LCR.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 08:12:38 PM »
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764958_-1_757798_757797_757797_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

I have had one of these for years.  You definitely don't want to practice with 357 mag.  Interesting they crammed in 6 rounds.  I would be more interested in the same basic size with a longer barrel and bigger grip. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 08:15:19 PM »
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

This is another reason I would rather have a longer barrel.  Even at 3", the velocity difference is big.  I guess it isn't a pocket pistol at the point.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 08:16:48 PM »
Per the article, it costs more than a comparable S&W. I guess some folks will pay more for the name, and/or the extra round. I don't think I would.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 08:30:24 PM »
Saw it.  Interesting.

Wonder if this is a Kimber design, or if they're importing someone else's revolver.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 09:16:41 AM »
I didn't want to like what I saw, because Mimber, but I did. Smith or Ruger would still be my choice.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 10:26:34 AM »
Wonder what kind of not needed passive safety crap will be installed on it.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 12:19:39 PM »
Looks nice, but seems a little pricey. For that much, I'll stick with my LCR.

Seconded.  On the other hand, you're paying for an extra chamber hole. On the third hand, a hole is nothing in the middle of something, so you're paying for nothing. :D

I wish they could have carried the flat flutes back to the rear of the cylinder, like the Chiappa Rhino.  Helps in concealment, since the flats (on the Chiappa) reduce the width of the gun in the pocket.  Don't know how that would work out geometrically, what with the diameter of the cartridge rims.

I'm sensitive to DA trigger pull,  so there's a plus for me.*  But I have one J-frame where the trigger was "worked on " (not by me) and is really sweet, but there were two FTFires.  Could have been the ammo, though, rather than light strikes.  I retired the gun, so haven't tested different ammo.

<incidental>  I wish they would provide trigger-pull curves --force by trigger distance to backstrap or something.  Hey, NRA Technical Editor, you listening? Just a wish, though.</incidental>

Terry

* I have trouble DA-ing the Beretta 9, for example.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:47:45 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 12:45:40 PM »
Am I off the mark seeing this as a product for a market that's already saturated? Carry-sized wheel guns have a solid buyer base but going after a market segment already served by the sea of products from Smith, Ruger, and Taurus seems hugely optimistic.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 12:52:41 PM »
On the other hand, you're paying for an extra chamber hole.

That's a really, really steep price for an extra round. For the price of one of these, you can buy 2 LCRs and have 4 more shots with only a New York reload in between.

Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 01:38:27 PM »
Underwhelmed.

I was hoping for bottom shooting cylinder, like a more refined Smith/Ruger quality execution of the Chiappa Rhino or reviving the Schofield style break-action reloading with moon clips. Or, God forbid.. both in one piece. With integrated Optics/lights/laser Picatinny rails top and bottom. And a standardized switch connection into the grip that bypasses the cylinder gap which past you shouldn't move your hand.

However, I admit these are my own internal biases and is what's required to get me excited about a revolver.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 01:43:48 PM »
That's a really, really steep price for an extra round. For the price of one of these, you can buy 2 LCRs and have 4 more shots with only a New York reload in between.

That's exactly what I was thinking.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 01:53:29 PM »
My entire reaction can be summed up in a very short statement. Meh. A big, fat, solid, meh.

I'm not seeing anything special or overly improved, certainly not to justify such a price. Maybe there is something noteworthy under the hood but I'm doubting it.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 01:59:19 PM »
I'm not seeing anything special or overly improved, certainly not to justify such a price. Maybe there is something noteworthy under the hood but I'm doubting it.

It would have interested me more if the specs showed a six or so pound trigger. :)

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 02:24:30 PM »
Underwhelmed.

I was hoping for bottom shooting cylinder, like a more refined Smith/Ruger quality execution of the Chiappa Rhino or reviving the Schofield style break-action reloading with moon clips. Or, God forbid.. both in one piece. With integrated Optics/lights/laser Picatinny rails top and bottom. And a standardized switch connection into the grip that bypasses the cylinder gap which past you shouldn't move your hand.

However, I admit these are my own internal biases and is what's required to get me excited about a revolver.

You'd think that for the asking price, it'd have da beamz.

Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 02:25:29 PM »
I should think they're expecting their diehard fans to be the target market, just buying it because it's a Kimber.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 03:15:17 PM »
I should think they're expecting their diehard fans to be the target market, just buying it because it's a Kimber.

Ah, yes... the Apple Marketing Method product development cycle.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 03:18:53 PM »

Brad

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 03:36:38 PM »

Brad

Every manufacturer's dream. We'll see how it works out for them.

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 12:03:43 PM »
AJ Dual brought up the top-break platform...

...or reviving the Schofield style break-action reloading with moon clips.

That would be nice, actually. I had an old Smith top-break in .38 S&W (Model 2?) and I forgot how ergonomic that design actually was, even without moon clips.  

Anemic cartridge by today's standards, but the Russians put together a full-sized top-break in .357.  Don't know what the outcome/faults were, but scaled down and in 5-shot 9mm*, it would seem to be a nice pocket carry combination, especially with full moon clips.

Terry

* Or a six-shot .32 Magnum of some kind, preferably a rimless version for plastic moon or star clips.  Hey, what the heck, as long as  Kimber is venturing out to other platforms...

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:36:18 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 12:51:16 PM »
That would be nice, actually. I had an old Smith top-break in .38 S&W (Model 2?) and I forgot how ergonomic that design actually was, even without moon clips.  

Anemic cartridge by today's standards, but the Russians put together a full-sized top-break in .357.  Don't know what the outcome/faults were, but scaled down and in 5-shot 9mm*, it would seem to be a nice combination, especially with full moon clips.

Terry

* Or a six-shot .32 Magnum of some kind, preferably a rimless version for plastic moon or star clips.  Hey, what the heck, as long as  Kimber is venturing out to other platforms...

.327 Federal, so one can use all the cartridges before it in that family (.32 H&R Magnum, .32 S&W Long, .32 S&W Short).
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila