Author Topic: Wounded Warrior Project on Charity Watch List  (Read 1394 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Wounded Warrior Project on Charity Watch List
« on: January 31, 2016, 10:13:10 AM »
I seem to recall quite a few of you in uniform not being enamored of the Wounded Warrior Project. Looks like they've been placed on a charity watch list for misuse of funds.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/31/charity-watchdog-reportedly-places-wounded-warrior-project-on-its-watch-list.html?intcmp=hpbt2
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
Re: Wounded Warrior Project on Charity Watch List
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 12:05:40 PM »
but... but fireman carry soldier decal!

They've got good marketing.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 12:20:25 PM »
I'm surprised it's taken this long it's been known for a while they are are no good
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 01:39:54 PM »
Could be they're a victim of their own success. I saw a local charity spiral down that hole. They decided to up their game and go for big money donors. To do so they had to spend a bunch of money on marketing, social networking, events, personnel, etc.. Then the big money started coming in. Then they found out to keep the big money coming in they had to keep spending even more on marketing, social networking, events, personnel, etc.. It spiraled out of control, eventually imploding under the weight of their own success. The last straw was when they hired a high-powered (and high dollar) Executive Director who's success was networking rather than fundraising. She upped their community standing considerably, but at the expense of their core mission. Donors noticed the change and started sending their money elsewhere.

I'm kinda seeing the same thing here. Starting out local and solid, and with a simple, achievable goal. Got some national recognition and morphed into something completely different, especially after Power Players got involved. Took a legit charitable service organization and turned it into a giant Look-What-I-Did! social status club.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 03:49:49 PM »
I'm surprised it's taken this long it's been known for a while they are are no good

Roger that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 04:21:24 PM »
WW is a waste. Been that way for years. Fisher House is good, or do the absolute best thing and find local charity or local Vet that needs help and help.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 07:41:08 AM »
They've also got a nasty habit of suing other organizations that use the words wounded or warrior, or which have a shadow outline of a soldier. They even tried suing one that had been using a shadow logo FAR longer than WWP has been around. Not sure how that one turned out.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/05/04/wounded-warrior-charity-unleashes-hell-on-other-veteran-groups.html

It's an organization that doesn't deserve support. There are many other programs out there that do.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 02:52:26 PM »
Doesn't WWP end up giving most of the charity money to other charities who actually do the work?  I don't know who those are.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 07:53:54 PM »
Doesn't WWP end up giving most of the charity money to other charities who actually do the work?  I don't know who those are.

You mean most of what's left over after the senior staff and executives have finished blowing through half or more of the donations on lavish parties and "conferences"?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 08:10:06 AM »
You know not jump on the bash WWP bandwagon but I will say I have known of this issue with them for quite some time, why I don't donate to them.

But the sad thing about this is that charities such as WWP have to exist.  Tells you how much that the DOD and .gov really takes care of those of us who served that you have to have charities out there to do the work.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 09:44:21 AM »
The problem is that charity is big money in this country and the only incentive to keep a charity honest is bad press. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 03:34:13 PM »
WWP started out with a great idea.  And the amount of money shows how much more this country loves the military and its veterans.

However, they lost track of their mission and have failed the Wounded Warrior community by simply using them as a fundraising mechanism.

It makes me seethe with anger that all that money could have been used to simply provide adaptive homes to practically every wounded veteran with tons of money let over.  I've read the stories of families of wounded warriors who reached out and begged WWP for assistance, only to be turned away.

Also they could have easily gifted substantial sums to those warriors and their families to assist them as they transitioned to civilian life, along with investing and providing each family with an endowment fund.

Reading about how they wasted money that was given willingly by the most generous of people with the desire to help those who served to protect them, makes my blood boil.  Several years ago my club hosted a shoot to benefit WWP, we raised over $14,000.  Then the next year was when the WWP/Guntalk kerfuffle started, and we decided to donate to Fisher House instead. 

Steve Narduzzi and the entire E level of WWP can all die screaming in a fire.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 04:45:57 PM »
Another good Veterans' charity is Folds of Honor.

https://www.foldsofhonor.org/

They provide scholarships to spouses and/or children of Service members killed or disabled in service to this great country.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!