Author Topic: Fundraisers, Benefits, Ways to raise money?  (Read 2157 times)

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
Fundraisers, Benefits, Ways to raise money?
« on: November 23, 2006, 05:35:13 PM »
As y'all may remember I posted a few weeks ago about learning of my unborn sons diagnosis of a Congenital Heart Defect (HLHS).  Since then my wife and I have figured out that it will cost us $760 for insurance a month. (that is just to keep him covered, not including deductibles etc.)  Since my wife is not going to be able to work we are going to find it harder to pay the bills, especially that one.

Currently we are working on ideas of how to start/create benefits and fundraisers for Baby Kenneth. First thing we did was find a responsible person (my father) to create a Benefit/Donation account through our bank (Wellsfargo).  We figure for tax reasons this would be the best/most responsible thing to do.

Also I happened to notice a PS3 in the backroom of my store today.  Luckily my wife was in town and able to pick it up. ($486 on the credit card) We listed the PS3 on E-Bay and any proceeds will go directly into Baby Kenneths Donation Account.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200051324464&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:11

I hope E-Bay doesnt kick the listing for putting our purposes in the description.

I would welcome any suggestions/ideas on other ways to try and raise money.

Art Eatman

• friend
Re: Fundraisers, Benefits, Ways to raise money?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 02:37:53 AM »
I never had such health problems in my family, but I always figured I wanted more money than my job paid me.  So, I added to my remunerative activities.  I did shade-tree mechanic work, got tables at gun shows and coin shows.  "8 to 5 for the boss, 5 to midnight for me."

If one job doesn't crack the nut, get a second job.

Nobody was born an expert anything.  Anybody can learn some second string for their bow.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 06:41:30 PM »
I am talking about trying to raise money for my very sick child (when he is born).  I take offense at what you said.  I am quiting school in order to work more and provide for my family.  My wife is not going to be able to work anymore, so that she can stay home full time and provide him with the health care that he will need.

When my child is in NICU for a month I will be a little busy with going to work for 10-12 hours a day and then driving an hour and a half to see him, to get a second or third job.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 07:05:22 AM »
Your wife has no skills that she can use at home to generate some income?  No artistic talent of some sort?  No computer skills?  Can she sew?  Do alterations?  Babysit for neighbors while they shop?

The straits of which you speak (IMO) certainly put you in a position to seek tax-paid assistance; that's the "safety net" concept of the intent of public assistance, as opposed to a "career" of such.  Were I in your circumstance I'd rather get back some of my own tax money than rely on the largesse of strangers.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 07:20:43 AM »
Forgive me for being short, we found out that we had to put the dog down today.  But back on topic.

We are Middle class so we make too much for govt. help and not enough to fix it ourselves.  We are trying to save up for an electric piano right now ($800).  If we are able to get one the wife can teach voice lessons from the house.  That is one option.  The problem with babysitting is we are told that the baby is not supposed to be around groups and other children.  He will be more susceptible to illnesses and his immune system will be suppressed.  So any time he gets sick it will be worse for him than other babies.   

From what we have learned, taking care of the baby is going to be a full time job until his 3rd operation.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 08:05:03 AM »
I am talking about trying to raise money for my very sick child (when he is born).  I take offense at what you said.  I am quiting school in order to work more and provide for my family.  My wife is not going to be able to work anymore, so that she can stay home full time and provide him with the health care that he will need.

When my child is in NICU for a month I will be a little busy with going to work for 10-12 hours a day and then driving an hour and a half to see him, to get a second or third job.

My heart goes out to you and your family, and I don't think Art was trying to offend you.  Rather than relying and hoping on charity, he was implying that there is one thing you have control over, extracirricular employment.  I hope you get a high bid on your auction, but then what?

When my wife wasn't working anymore, it actually became simpler to pay the bills.  You find you can do with less.  She can cook dinner more often rather than going out to eat....etc.  Learn to cut corners.  Get rid of a vehicle if you have two. 

There are other options for the wife, such as self employment.  My wife runs a direct sales business, which gives her the ability to pick her schedule and has done quite well.  I'll PM you some information if you like.

My wife and I have looked here and found alot of good quotes on insurance.  Your mileage will likely vary with the pre-existing condition, but you might do better than what you have
https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi/Alliance?allid=Yah26044&sid=tlp
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 09:41:29 AM »
After reading Arts post again this morning I realized that his intent was read wrong from me.  I hope my apology for my rash posting helps to make up for the rudeness I may have had.

Once we are thru the first year it will be easier. 

We fall into an odd predicament for insurance. 
My insurance only covers 25,000 for the first year of coverage.  Since we used the wifes insurance and I never got mine thru work we are stuck with the limit.  Her insurance has a million dollar lifetime payout, but since she is unable to return to work is only an option for 18 months after her last paycheck.  The insurance from my work is actually better for this sort of thing (Major Medical).

The insurance companies say that the insurance from my work is going to be the primary (first 25,000 they pay) and her insurance secondary.  This way he will not have any preexisting conditions.  So 250 a month for me to insure myself and the baby.  and 550 a month for the wife to have insurance on her and the baby (She won't be working, so we have to use COBRA).   (those are rounded the exact figures are somewhere.)   So that is why its 800 for just the premiums.  This is not including the 2,000 to 3,000 deductibles. ($500 per stay for the wifes insurance a 2500ish annual deductible for my plan)

__

That was the point of this post to try and figure out ways of supplementing income.  Benefits seemed a good way to try and get money to cover the deductibles/premiums.  My $39,000 a year just doesn't cover those type of expenses.  The social workers from the hospital will not talk to us in depth until the baby is born.  So I am trying to make sure everything is ok money wise.  The hospital we are going to is a 45min to 1 hour drive away. This SHOULD negate any need for hotel stays but you never know.  When in the PICU (that is the intensive care he attends right after the surgery) my wife may only want to be a few min. away incase things are touch and go.  Sometimes the leave the babies chest open for the stay in the PICU. 
From what we have figured out I will make $6,000 a year more than the max amount that allows someone to qualify for Children with special healthcare needs program that Texas offers.   Also we won't qualify for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), most likely. What else I have figured out is the baby wont qualify for much/if any Social Security Disability payments.  Medicaid is also out of the question because I am middle class.