Author Topic: Is the US Military able to defend us?  (Read 4373 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Is the US Military able to defend us?
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 02:15:21 PM »
I'll take that bet.  Assymmetry has a power all its own.
Go toe to toe? I agree...but they don't have to, nor would have to for the aforementioned scenario.

I think means the scenario of "don't worry, that fleet is heading to Venezula....oops, typo, we meant LA, the keys are like right next to each other..."

For current regime/government survives, I'll cover that $1 bet. If they have a revolution, obviously, things will be different.

Sure, China could make a freighter with couple hundred or thousand of cruise missiles. Times a couple hundred, you'd have a lot of issues if they were all targeting power plants, bridges, dams, highways, etc. Or detonate a LNG carrier in a harbor. We could do exactly the same to China.

Doesn't answer the question of, with the current govt, why the hell would they want to do so? France could slip one of their nukes into the US and hit Wisconsin to neutralize our strategic cheese supply or hit Napa valley to ensure wine supremacy. It's just fairly unlikely to occur. While France or China would gain a momentary advantage at moderate costs, it wouldn't pay off in the long run.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 03:08:46 PM »
You could abolish all services but the Navy and still be able to defend the country easily. Fighting WW3, that would take time to ramp up numbers to curbstomp our enemies - but holding our own is doable.

As for invading Alaska, Japan tried that. As I recall the weather killed more than the enemy did.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 03:15:00 PM »
You could abolish all services but the Navy and still be able to defend the country easily. Fighting WW3, that would take time to ramp up numbers to curbstomp our enemies - but holding our own is doable.

As for invading Alaska, Japan tried that. As I recall the weather killed more than the enemy did.

Japan took a couple of Aleutian Islands.  It was a pretty pointless effort for them......they were never interested in invading America.

Had WW2 continued they would have possibly completed a  nuclear bomb and the ability to nuke San Francisco and make future hippies glow in the dark.   But by then our nuke arsenal would be greater than 2, so who knows?
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 08:28:56 PM »
One nuke in one container ship in each port would fatally cripple the US ability to respond to anything. China is more interested in scooping up Asian territory....and keeping the US out of the way.

I still could see a THE BEAR AND THE DRAGON scenario where China attacks Russia and we send the Rooskies aid via NATO....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re:
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 09:31:17 PM »
One nuke in one container ship in each port would fatally cripple the US ability to respond to anything. China is more interested in scooping up Asian territory....and keeping the US out of the way.

I still could see a THE BEAR AND THE DRAGON scenario where China attacks Russia and we send the Rooskies aid via NATO....

There's 360 commercial ports in the US, according to American Association of Port Authorities. Canada has 18 major points, according to Association of Canadian Port Authorities. Mexico has 41 according to Coordinación General de Puertos y Mercante. So, that's 409 needed nuclear weapons. And that wouldn't necessarily take out our oil, coal and gas terminals that might be used for emergency port facilities. Or dry docks and repair yards. Oh, and Navy ports.  Let's low-ball and say 500 nukes.

Most serious people put China's nuclear arsenal at 450-600 warheads on the top end, with a more realistic number at 300 ish.  That includes warheads for 50-75 ish ICBMs. Going nuts and rounding up to a hundred, if China used every nuke not assigned to an ICBM (stripping their short range ballistic missiles) and nuked every port, they maybe could have enough nukes. Having 500 nuclear weapons delivered with no leaks or security violations, with perfect timing and placement, would be quite an achievement. That would literally last possibly an hour until we retaliated with at least twice as many nuclear weapons.

I hope it's popular here to bash Obama, but there's zero chance that we would not retaliate with nuclear weapons to such an attack. Not "one in a billion" we would fail to attack, absolutely zero.

And also make absolutely no sense. France pre-emptively nuking the hell out of Wisconsin and California is significantly more likely attack scenario with the current geopolitical climate. A unified French-British coalition could pull it off, and is just as likely/motivated to do so. Could the PRC govt be overthrown and get a new govt that is off the rails? Sure. But at the moment, it's as likely as the US successfully invading and occupying China.

I am legitimately curious. Why are any of y'all thinking this is remotely plausible with the existing governments?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re:
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 09:45:41 PM »
There's 360 commercial ports in the US, according to American Association of Port Authorities. Canada has 18 major points, according to Association of Canadian Port Authorities. Mexico has 41 according to Coordinación General de Puertos y Mercante. So, that's 409 needed nuclear weapons. And that wouldn't necessarily take out our oil, coal and gas terminals that might be used for emergency port facilities. Or dry docks and repair yards. Oh, and Navy ports.  Let's low-ball and say 500 nukes.

Most serious people put China's nuclear arsenal at 450-600 warheads on the top end, with a more realistic number at 300 ish.  That includes warheads for 50-75 ish ICBMs. Going nuts and rounding up to a hundred, if China used every nuke not assigned to an ICBM (stripping their short range ballistic missiles) and nuked every port, they maybe could have enough nukes. Having 500 nuclear weapons delivered with no leaks or security violations, with perfect timing and placement, would be quite an achievement. That would literally last possibly an hour until we retaliated with at least twice as many nuclear weapons.

I hope it's popular here to bash Obama, but there's zero chance that we would not retaliate with nuclear weapons to such an attack. Not "one in a billion" we would fail to attack, absolutely zero.

And also make absolutely no sense. France pre-emptively nuking the hell out of Wisconsin and California is significantly more likely attack scenario with the current geopolitical climate. A unified French-British coalition could pull it off, and is just as likely/motivated to do so. Could the PRC govt be overthrown and get a new govt that is off the rails? Sure. But at the moment, it's as likely as the US successfully invading and occupying China.

I am legitimately curious. Why are any of y'all thinking this is remotely plausible with the existing governments?
Based on world anti-nuke, anti-American sentiment and the severe damage such an attack would cause (not to mention our current "leadership"), why do you think we'd retaliate?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 09:52:29 PM »
Like I said upthread, China is making an economic play not a military one. They are spending a lot of money in Africa all of which would be wasted if they acted in such a way.

However, for a very small amount of money funneled to think tanks and journalists, they can keep enough influential Americans in a chronic ague about what they might do.

This gets us to waste time, energy, and money and focusing on the wrong theater of operations.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Re:
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 10:28:17 PM »
Based on world anti-nuke, anti-American sentiment and the severe damage such an attack would cause (not to mention our current "leadership"), why do you think we'd retaliate?

We're Americans. Getting emotional and killings metric buttocks loads of people in foreign countries on light pretenses is kinda what we do.

The rest of the world is using the metric system. And yet, oddly we use miles on our signs and gallons for our gas. Tumblr, Berkeley and Princeton make tons of noise and are annoying as hell, but they'd be trampled by Americans doing what we do best. Oversimplification of complex situations, and responding by pouring utterly ridiculous amounts of money into delivering bombs into whichever Derkaderkastan pissed us off. China would be just another Derkaderkastan in a matter of hours.

Hell, Obama bombed nearly twice as many countries as Bush. Obama: Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Somalia, Yemen, Libya and Syria. Bush, a measly Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan and Somalia.

Besides, you can always get Lefties to support bombing a foreign country. Just have a Dem do it, and make a snazzy youtube video claiming some evil guy was opposing children or cute animals.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 12:45:20 AM »
Japan took a couple of Aleutian Islands.  It was a pretty pointless effort for them......they were never interested in invading America.

Had WW2 continued they would have possibly completed a  nuclear bomb and the ability to nuke San Francisco and make future hippies glow in the dark.   But by then our nuke arsenal would be greater than 2, so who knows?
Yes,  the Aleutians were a diversion that didn't work, so it turned into a minor invasion.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 08:25:53 AM »

Only need to hit three to really hurt us, LA, NY and Houston.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2016, 09:41:38 AM »
Only need to hit three to really hurt us, LA, NY and Houston.
I haven't seen the others, but the ports and infrastructure around Houston stretch for many miles.  Even a large nuke would make a big hole, but I am not certain it would shut everything down for long.  I guess it really depends on the fall out and radiation afterwards. 

It wouldn't be a good thing at all.  A lot of those chemical plants and refineries pass materials back and forth and there are a whole mess of pipelines going through or under that area so there would be a great deal of damage.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2016, 09:44:51 AM »
If you had told me that our consul in Benghazi would be attacked, I would not have imagined our leadership would call off any response and leave those people hanging out to dry.  I am really not sure Obama would respond with Nukes if we were nuked. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2016, 12:24:23 PM »
If you had told me that our consul in Benghazi would be attacked, I would not have imagined our leadership would call off any response and leave those people hanging out to dry.  I am really not sure Obama would respond with Nukes if we were nuked. 
I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest, particularly if we're talking small scale/isolated attack.

I also have to wonder what size an attack would have to be, and how much indifference POTUS would have to show, before local commanders/units or perhaps .mil in general gave POTUS a different form of salute than is customary and went about taking care of business while congress sorts out the paperwork. Not nukes, per say, but in general. I have to wonder how much would be enough before someone high enough up the chain says "*expletive deleted*ck this ahole, load up and go kill something". I would imagine that point is SOMEWHERE, I'd just be interested to know where that breaking point is.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 04:25:16 PM »
Yeah, 30 or 40 years from now things, might be very different. No way China is catching up to USN within 20 years. Not happening, and China isn't making the moves politically to get their Navy up to snuff. They really don't need to, aside from prestige gigs. Because we're spending the money to chase pirates and patrol the seaways.

Random question, why would we remotely have justification for attacking China providing theoretical aid to Venezuela? Or want to attack even without justification?

Or do you mean, if PRC was occupying Venezuela? Even then, I'm still having difficulty seeing why it would be our problem.
My hypothetical had to do with an imaginary armed incursion, camouflaged as relief.  You're right about "Not our problem".  How about this?  An epidemic is reported in Baja Cali, and the Chinese deploy "humanitarian aid" that looks like a budding coup de main.  Ro-ro's are strung out along the Pacific with follow-on "relief forces".  Cross-border incursions ramp up, and shots are exchanged.  (Obviously I'm not a good fiction writer). Elements of the Mexican Army are identified as engaged, with Chinese support forces spinning up at the debarkation point.  They want to control the source of the contagion, said to be inside the US border.  (This gets more and more shaky).  Would a (D) President order US forces to repel the invasion by force of arms?  Without regard to my non-existent skills as a narrator, my point (originally) was that I don't think the current president, or Bernie, and maybe not Hillary, would be willing to "draw the sword and throw away the scabbard" in actual defense of the homeland.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 05:15:49 PM »
Who would believe the Chinese would send boat loads of humanitarian aide to anyone much less Mexico? 

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2016, 05:57:43 PM »
Who would believe the Chinese would send boat loads of humanitarian aide to anyone much less Mexico? 
The same people who think the Prez would fold.  The same folks who think the Chinese have done this before, in Africa, in order to extend their sphere of influence.  The same folks who are apprehensive about a country of 1.2 billion where the men of fighting age outnumber marriageable women by about a hundred million, and who have a rapidly imploding economy.  That's who.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2016, 10:49:09 PM »
I guess I should have put a smiley on my last post.  It was more of a joke. 

However, if we sent a bunch of ships (even military ships) toward a disaster area, no one assumes we are there to cause trouble.  Making that assumption with China is bit foolish.  However, who knows what can happen 10 or 15 years from now. 

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2016, 11:02:03 PM »
I'm not singling out China as the monster under the bed, and I've lost the track I was trying to make.  My point is not that China has designs of conquest in the Western Hemisphere, but that the current president would be unwilling to oppose, by force of arms, any who did.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2016, 09:03:20 AM »
Is the US Military able to defend us?

Yes
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2016, 10:52:31 AM »
I haven't seen the others, but the ports and infrastructure around Houston stretch for many miles.  Even a large nuke would make a big hole, but I am not certain it would shut everything down for long.  I guess it really depends on the fall out and radiation afterwards.

Don't forget the human factor; you're going to have a lot of people not wanting to sail into a port that's been hit that hard for years afterward.  Think about vacationing in Beirut and what's the first thing that comes to mind even now?  Also, in many cases, that will extend to nearby ports; Houston would affect Freeport, Texas City, Galveston, maybe even out to Port Arthur and Beaumont for that mater.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2016, 10:57:24 AM »
OK, taking this seriously:
Is the US Military able to defend us?

1. Against peer or near-peer nation-states in a non-WMD war with similar hardware and CONOPS?  Yes. 

2. Against 4th gen / insurgency on our soil?  No.

3. Against our own gov't when it oversteps the bounds set by the COTUS?  No.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2016, 12:06:05 PM »
Is the US Military able to defend us?  Part of the answer to this question really is, "Will the military be allowed to defend us?"
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.