Author Topic: Driver Killed by Manhole Cover  (Read 8145 times)

birdman

• friend
Re: Driver Killed by Manhole Cover
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2016, 08:36:09 PM »
European or African manhole cover?

Well, in South Africa, I assume given locally sourced materials they are either gold or uranium in either case, the higher density would make a big difference.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2016, 11:36:44 PM »
Well, in South Africa, I assume given locally sourced materials they are either gold or uranium in either case, the higher density would make a big difference.

I have a nativist streak when it comes to manufacturing and I hate seeing things that used to be made or could be made in the US outsourced. I have seen manhole covers here that were cast in India. Depressing that it is cheaper to send something that simple on the slow boat rather than make it here.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2016, 05:23:07 AM »
I have a nativist streak when it comes to manufacturing and I hate seeing things that used to be made or could be made in the US outsourced. I have seen manhole covers here that were cast in India. Depressing that it is cheaper to send something that simple on the slow boat rather than make it here.

That situation is depressing.  How much of our munitions including raw materials is outsourced, I wonder.  Including digital chips to control our smart munitions. This country seems hell-bent on cutting off its own gonads.

This is off the thread topic, I guess.  Not that it matters on APS, but...

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2016, 08:31:36 AM »

Well, that kind of low quality mild steel /high volume casting is a PITA environmentally...so it's likely not that the labor cost is that much lower, but the compliance cost is that much higher here.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2016, 02:12:37 PM »
Well, that kind of low quality mild steel /high volume casting is a PITA environmentally...so it's likely not that the labor cost is that much lower, but the compliance cost is that much higher here.

Pretty much, same reason we no longer have commercial lead smelting here, or mine tungsten, why we crush uranium mining etc. It's great until the people doing the dirty work decide not to sell to us.
AKA Navy Joe   

birdman

• friend
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2016, 06:40:38 PM »
Pretty much, same reason we no longer have commercial lead smelting here, or mine tungsten, why we crush uranium mining etc. It's great until the people doing the dirty work decide not to sell to us.

Well, on the uranium side, we also don't mine much because we got a great deal on about 10-15000 tons of LEU (downblended from HEU) from Russia, which is pretty much what all the reactors are running on.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megatons_to_Megawatts_Program

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2016, 07:57:03 PM »
I was specifically thinking of the enviros that killed mining in my home state. You know, enough to power our country for a century or 3. Same bunch that keeps us from building new plants, or the Atlantic Coast pipeline, etc....

Can we open a manhole and put them in it?
AKA Navy Joe   

birdman

• friend
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2016, 09:53:25 PM »
Can we open a non-genderedmanhole and put them in it?

We can...with a bit more than 0.29psi