Author Topic: Potential SC Nominees  (Read 5081 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Potential SC Nominees
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 12:32:47 PM »
I disagree.

That's giving ground and compromising before the battle has even begun.

No hearings, no vote is the staring point.

The Democrats should have to put up an acceptable candidates name before the R's even flirt with the possibility of an Obama nomination.

Roll over for Obama on this one and the base will sit at home.

As I said, I can certainly see the argument for this tactic, but then R's can't complain if the Dems do it under a Republican president.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2016, 12:38:05 PM »
As I said, I can certainly see the argument for this tactic, but then R's can't complain if the Dems do it under a Republican president.

They already did.  This is turn-about.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2016, 12:43:22 PM »
They already did.  This is turn-about.
I have heard that, and would love to find it in any credible record.  Can you offer a link?

Kinda like having Obama in the well of the Senate, bitching about the debt limit increase.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 12:47:03 PM »
Is one actually required to be alive to be a SC Justice?  I mean, can't we just prop him up in the chair and assume he abstains in everything?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 12:58:43 PM »
I have heard that, and would love to find it in any credible record.  Can you offer a link?

Kinda like having Obama in the well of the Senate, bitching about the debt limit increase.

Even if they did, and as pointed out Bork doesn't really count since another person was nominated after, I guess part of my argument is that it's not in the spirit of the constitution for either side to say, "no nominations".

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the language is actually pretty simple: The President has the right to nominate. Congress has a right to deny. That's pretty much it. So as per the constitution, let the President nominate, and then either accept or deny. If it's at the end of a President's term, then denying, by default, moves it over to the next President.

Also, just to be clear on where I stand, I wish there were nine Scalias on the SC.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2016, 01:02:29 PM »
In 1960 Senate Resolution 334 passed a Dem controlled Senate.

Here is the jest of the deal.

Thanks to a VC commenter, I discovered that in August 1960, the Democrat-controlled Senate passed a resolution, S.RES. 334, “Expressing the sense of the Senate that the president should not make recess appointments to the Supreme Court, except to prevent or end a breakdown in the administration of the Court’s business.”  Each of President Eisenhower’s SCOTUS appointments had initially been a recess appointment who was later confirmed by the Senate, and the Democrats were apparently concerned that Ike would try to fill any last-minute vacancy that might arise with a recess appointment.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2016, 01:10:01 PM »
The other thing that is interesting is if Congressional Republicans think they will get a better nominee from either President Clinton or Sanders, if the nomination is pushed off for the incoming President.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2016, 01:21:58 PM »
In 1960 Senate Resolution 334 passed a Dem controlled Senate.

Here is the jest of the deal.

That one might be a separate argument, since in some ways recess appointments circumvent power granted to Congress via the Constitution. Just guessing, I don't know for sure.

It would certainly be interesting to see what happens if Obama tries that now. I think he has, what - two weeks if he wants to get someone in right now?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2016, 03:13:14 PM »
That one might be a separate argument, since in some ways recess appointments circumvent power granted to Congress via the Constitution. Just guessing, I don't know for sure.

It would certainly be interesting to see what happens if Obama tries that now. I think he has, what - two weeks if he wants to get someone in right now?

Less than 3 days right now.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/2016_schedule.htm
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2016, 03:38:58 PM »
Is one actually required to be alive to be a SC Justice?  I mean, can't we just prop him up in the chair and assume he abstains in everything?

They pretty much did that for Byrd in the Senate- they carried him in and propped him up in his seat and helped him vote. I imagine he was a senator up until the point where he started to smell really bad.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2016, 04:20:55 PM »
I have heard that, and would love to find it in any credible record.  Can you offer a link?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang_of_14
Senate Democrats used the filibuster to prevent the confirmation of conservative appellate court candidates nominated by Republican President George W. Bush. In the Republican-controlled 108th Congress, ten Bush judicial nominees were filibustered by the minority Democrats: Miguel Estrada, Priscilla Owen, Charles W. Pickering, Carolyn Kuhl, David W. McKeague, Henry Saad, Richard Allen Griffin, William H. Pryor, William Gerry Myers III, and Janice Rogers Brown.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2016, 10:57:07 PM »
The D's have been playing hardball and kicking us in the jimmies every chance they get and you guys want to play nice.

We start at "no more SC nominations for Obama" and he can woo the R's into changing their minds by nominating someone reasonable.

This is war by other means. Start acting like it.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2016, 03:00:17 PM »
Joe Biden on how an election year SC vacancy should be handled:

https://amp.twimg.com/v/835bf3fd-874d-4ed2-9a03-1e7f79839384

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2016, 03:19:00 PM »
I heard Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) mentioned as a possibility this morning.  [barf]  She's a nanny-statist if there ever was one.  Since she's a former prosecutor, that's supposed to make it okay for Republicans.

Nancy Grace is a former prosecutor, too.  [barf]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2016, 01:36:53 AM »
The D's have been playing hardball and kicking us in the jimmies every chance they get and you guys want to play nice.

We start at "no more SC nominations for Obama" and he can woo the R's into changing their minds by nominating someone reasonable.

This is war by other means. Start acting like it.

If you're going to reach across the aisle you better be wearing brass knuckles. 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2016, 08:23:11 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/02/23/biden-argued-against-weighing-supreme-court-nomination-during-1992-campaign.html?intcmp=hpbt2

Biden in 1992 on the subject.  Of course now he is backtracking and trying to say that isn't what he meant. :facepalm:

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2016, 08:37:24 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/02/23/biden-argued-against-weighing-supreme-court-nomination-during-1992-campaign.html?intcmp=hpbt2

Biden in 1992 on the subject.  Of course now he is backtracking and trying to say that isn't what he meant. :facepalm:

Of course that isn't what he meant. What he meant was the Democrats ought to use any excuse to block a Republican nomineee, but Democrat nominees ought to be approved quickly.

I completely understand what he meant. He was, of course, lying when he laid out a principle for denying any nominations. It was just partisan politics and now he's angry the other side is finally playing by the same rules.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought