Author Topic: So, We're siding with Apple, right?  (Read 29791 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re:
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2016, 08:29:02 PM »
And what if it costs Apple a few Milliod dollars in time, tens of millions in publicity, and a billion in market capitalization for something that might be impossible? Does it matter that they just eant to say "no?"
I believe the court order asked Apple to advise how much all of it would cost.  I am not certain they intended Apple do it for free.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
Re: So, We're siding with Apple, right?
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2016, 08:33:43 PM »
Cruz has jumped on the stupid train.

But if they're all being stupid it's a bit of a wash right?

Cruz disagreed, insisting while Apple had a "serious argument that they should not be forced to put a backdoor in every cellphone everyone has," law enforcement had the better argument. The FBI, Cruz insisted, got a search order, which was "consistent with the Fourth Amendment." Apple, Cruz claimed, was being told to "open this phone, not Anderson's phone, not everyone's here, open this phone."
I found this quote in the link.  It seems to be saying Cruz believes they can unlock just the one phone.  If they can do this without giving the Govt the ability unlock everyone's phone, he has a point.  It appears Apple is saying they can't.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2016, 10:25:26 PM »
I found this quote in the link.  It seems to be saying Cruz believes they can unlock just the one phone.  If they can do this without giving the Govt the ability unlock everyone's phone, he has a point.  It appears Apple is saying they can't.  

It would almost be like a court order demanding a physicist to make cold fusion work and power his house up with it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2016, 10:44:46 PM »
OK, so nobody's told Ted Cruz how the tech works (or doesn't). Oh my word, he just lost my vote!  :O
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2016, 08:41:40 AM »
And this I'm OK with;  Since physical possession and destructive searching would require a warrant, that covers the most likely abuses of a "master key."

What planet have you been living on for the last 15 years?  Warrants rule out abuses? ,
Please explain.
7-11 was a part time job.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2016, 08:56:43 AM »
OK, so nobody's told Ted Cruz how the tech works (or doesn't). Oh my word, he just lost my vote!  :O

It would be nice, super nice, if politicians would, I dunno... Discuss the situation with experts before opening their goddamn mouths.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2016, 09:13:01 AM »
It would be nice, super nice, if politicians would, I dunno... Discuss the situation with experts before opening their goddamn mouths.

But they are the experts.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2016, 09:15:42 AM »
But they are the experts.

And I'm told that they are our betters.

Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2016, 09:57:15 AM »
I have heard a number of people say the intent of the warrant was to access the single phone.  I would not be surprised if the judge didn't know the difference.  I think they are assuming Apple could push the update on the one phone.  Looking at Cruz's quotes, I would assume he was focused on the constitutional arguments only since that is his background, not the technical side. 

This wouldn't be the first time constitutional arguments and technical subjects collided.   

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2016, 11:32:06 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2016, 11:33:17 AM »
These cockbites just won't stop.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-19/secret-memo-details-u-s-s-broader-strategy-to-crack-phones

My daughter accidentally wiped out my ex's iPhone with the 10 wrong password attempts. I LOL'd heartily over that one.

Barack Obama

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2016, 11:35:01 AM »
iHave an iPhone but haven't turned on the option to wipe the phone if the code isn't entered correctly after 10 tries.

iHave thought of doing so, but not in the habit of backing it up to the computer on a regular basis.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2016, 11:55:13 AM »
Sounds like they need to incorporate the 80ms delay into a busy-wait circuit on the chip itself.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2016, 12:05:18 PM »
iHave an iPhone but haven't turned on the option to wipe the phone if the code isn't entered correctly after 10 tries.

iHave thought of doing so, but not in the habit of backing it up to the computer on a regular basis.
iSee what you did there.
7-11 was a part time job.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2016, 12:36:08 PM »
My daughter accidentally wiped out my ex's iPhone with the 10 wrong password attempts. I LOL'd heartily over that one.

Best $50 you ever spent on your daughter.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2016, 01:56:34 PM »
Just came over the news. I don't have a link. .Gov just filed court order to compel Apple.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2016, 02:05:56 PM »
Just came over the news. I don't have a link. .Gov just filed court order to compel Apple.

Compel them to do what?  [popcorn]

Barack Obama

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2016, 02:07:51 PM »
 I just saw the same .  Government is filing a court order to force them to engineer around the lock limitations and remove the delay, and also allow passcode attempts via interface

This will be a very important decision
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2016, 02:08:12 PM »
Couldn't all this have been avoided in the first place if the county Sayed worked for had had an intelligent MDM policy already in place?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2016, 02:11:58 PM »
Couldn't all this have been avoided in the first place if the county Sayed worked for had had an intelligent MDM policy already in place?

...or, the feds disallowed his radical wife from entering the country?

Barack Obama

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2016, 02:17:48 PM »
...or, the feds disallowed his radical wife from entering the country?

You're not wrong, but i was referring to the Apple battle specifically. If the County had actually *owned* the iphone they paid for, this would never have been an issue, provided the device was linked to an enterprise solution. This would have been a matter of minutes spent pulling off the necessary data, instead of millions of innocent electrons being ushered across the interwebs.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2016, 02:25:57 PM »
Just think how long this could be tied up in the Courts and the Supreme Court being with just 8 members right now.  Not sure if an expedited hearing would be in either sides' best interest right now.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2016, 02:33:59 PM »
Sounds like they need to incorporate the 80ms delay into a busy-wait circuit on the chip itself.

Before or after the 5000ms wait imposed when you ask it to do unusual tasks like make a phone call?

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends

Abraham Lincoln