Author Topic: Global Warming and the Irrelevance of Science  (Read 3033 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Global Warming and the Irrelevance of Science
« on: February 22, 2016, 08:01:38 PM »
Long, but worthwhile essay by Richard Lindzen:

http://euanmearns.com/global-warming-and-the-irrelevance-of-science/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Global Warming and the Irrelevance of Science
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 09:12:35 PM »
A refreshing dose of sanity in an insane world. Standing by for the smear campaign against the author to begin in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...

The man certainly has things figured out:

Third world dictators who see guilt over global warming as providing a convenient claim on aid (ie, the transfer of wealth from the poor in rich countries to the wealthy in poor countries),
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 09:47:13 PM »
A refreshing dose of sanity in an insane world. Standing by for the smear campaign against the author to begin in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...

The man certainly has things figured out:

Oh, Lindzen has been in the crosshairs a good long while.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 10:06:37 AM »
Another in depth look at the dishonesty of climate change.  He does a good job of identifying all the people who benefit though. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 10:37:29 AM »
There are a lot of good quotables in that treatise.  But many of us have been saying the same things here in APS (and elsewhere) for years.

But it's nice to hear an MIT staffer say them, too.  What's that saying...?  Oh, yeah, "The truth is out there."

Terry, 230RN

(Frankly, the only "hockey stick" that really worries me is that of the population increase. But that's another topic.)

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 03:15:44 PM »
There are a lot of good quotables in that treatise.  But many of us have been saying the same things here in APS (and elsewhere) for years.

But it's nice to hear an MIT staffer say them, too.  What's that saying...?  Oh, yeah, "The truth is out there."

Terry, 230RN

(Frankly, the only "hockey stick" that really worries me is that of the population increase. But that's another topic.)
On a macro scale, that problem will take care of itself.  Of course, on a macro scale, so would the AGW problem, come to think of it.  All the "anthro's" would be too dead or too few to do much Warming of the Globe.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:54:07 AM by Hutch »
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 03:51:44 PM »

You shouldn't be worried. According to current trends, global population should max out in 2050 and start declining.

HOWEVER, current political trends suggest to me that a precipitous decline before then is more likely, anyway.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 04:55:26 PM »
Yeah, I'm reminded of that rat (mice?) study where even if they have enough food and water, above a certain population density they start killing each other off.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Global Warming and the Irrelevance of Science
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 11:00:23 PM »
Yeah, I'm reminded of that rat (mice?) study where even if they have enough food and water, above a certain population density they start killing each other off.
"The Beautiful Ones" I think.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 10:09:50 AM »

Sorry I mentioned population.  Bete noir of mine.

It was cold last night.  So, obviously we're heading into a new Ice Age.

Hey, you got a problem with my single night's sample?

No worse than their 200 year sample compared to 400,000 years.

400,000 year sample:

I got a hockey stick for you right here.

Terry

Another graph:
http://dangerousintersection.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/CO2-Temperature.gif
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 10:39:17 AM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 10:19:26 AM »
I keep coming back to the known fact that for about 500 YEARS the Vikings had an agrarian society on Greenland (which was probably not named "Green" land because it was white). They abandoned Greenland only when it became too cold for their agrarian society to continue.

So my standard response to the climate alarmists is that I'll start to worry about global warming / anthropomorphic climate change when it gets too HOT to farm on Greenland.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design