Author Topic: Breaking: White House considering Governor Sandoval for SCOTUS  (Read 2048 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Breaking: White House considering Governor Sandoval for SCOTUS
« on: February 24, 2016, 05:48:05 PM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/white-house-is-vetting-gop-gov-brian-sandoval-for-scotus-seat/

At first blush, he doesn't seem to have a lot of legal experience, and I can't see any experience at the Federal appellate level.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Breaking: White House considering Governor Sandoval for SCOTUS
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 05:51:38 PM »
Some thoughts across the interwebz are that he is cannon fodder to bait the senate.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 05:56:22 PM »
Some thoughts across the interwebz are that he is cannon fodder to bait the senate.
I was thinking theonion hacked a few news sites.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 06:36:45 PM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/white-house-is-vetting-gop-gov-brian-sandoval-for-scotus-seat/

At first blush, he doesn't seem to have a lot of legal experience, and I can't see any experience at the Federal appellate level.

He did serve at the US District level.

Sandoval has served as Nevada's governor since 2011 and the Senate unanimously confirmed him in 2005 after President George W. Bush nominated him to be a judge for the U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada, which he served as until 2009.

However, the Senate Judaical Committee can still hold hearings and then vote "NO".
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 06:46:37 PM »
Sandoval has served as Nevada's governor since 2011 and the Senate unanimously confirmed him in 2005 after President George W. Bush nominated him to be a judge for the U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada, which he served as until 2009.

if 0.'s handlers want him, it can't be good.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 07:37:18 PM »
He did serve at the US District level.

However, the Senate Judaical Committee can still hold hearings and then vote "NO".

Most of the time, the SCOTUS justices have a fair amount of experience at the Federal appellate level.  It is unusual, but not unheard of, to appoint someone who only has experience at the trial court level.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 11:41:53 PM »
No requirement for them to have any judicial or even legal experience.  Strictly speaking a new born infant is qualified.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/faq.aspx#faqgi2

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 12:47:36 AM »
I am sure McConnell wants out of the "I can't roll over" corner he has painted himself into.  Sandoval as a nominee would give McConnell that out.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 02:04:29 AM »
He is from Reid's state of Nevada, establishment hack. Looks good on paper. So did Roberts. Obama wants him. So....*expletive deleted*ck no.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 09:50:25 AM »
I am sure McConnell wants out of the "I can't roll over" corner he has painted himself into.  Sandoval as a nominee would give McConnell that out.

How?

If he said "No hearings," how would holding hearings on Sandoval be an "out"? How would it be anything other than evidence of hypocrisy?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 11:43:31 AM »
How?

If he said "No hearings," how would holding hearings on Sandoval be an "out"? How would it be anything other than evidence of hypocrisy?

I have no doubt McConnell privately regrets making his "No hearings" commitment and is looking for a way out that won't make him look like a hypocrite.
Establishment hack and rollover artist that he is, McConnell would use the excuse, "We must make an exception for this good Republican governor that Obama has selected", and hold the approval hearings.  And you are right, it would still be hypocrisy.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 12:32:45 PM »
No nominees PERIOD. Any hearings scheduled before November will end up costing the Republican Party its  very existence.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 02:57:28 PM »
Well, Sandoval  has removed himself from consideration, so McConnel, et al, are safe.....for now. [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 03:17:41 PM »
Well, Sandoval  has removed himself from consideration, so McConnel, et al, are safe.....for now. [popcorn]

That's amazing. I figured a pro-choice "Republican" like Sandoval would LOVE to stick it to the rest of Republicans.

I'm sure "No-Labels" Huntsman would have jumped at the chance.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought