Author Topic: Lawyer Suing Law School  (Read 4846 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Lawyer Suing Law School
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 06:21:04 PM »
I can almost see it now.  Lawyer ads on television drumming up ass action suits against various public K-12 school systems.

"U kant git a job becawz they dint learn you to speel and add numers?"

I mean, y'know, they've about run out of Rx drug suits... right?

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 07:27:34 PM »
Because she can't find a job:

http://twitchy.com/2016/03/07/grab-your-hankies-heres-why-this-entitled-nit-wit-is-suing-her-law-school/

There have been a number of these suits in recent years; I have read of them in the legal press.  Usually, the claim is that the school inflated their placement figures, and this false information induced the plaintiff to go to the school.  I think the majority of the claims have found for the defendant schools.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 08:14:20 PM »
The one case where they won, that I remember, the whole school ended up shutting down, there were additional shenanigans like rather than having their nursing students do something like intern in a hospital, instead had them visit a creationist museum.  The net result was that the graduates of said school were less likely to be hired than somebody without any college.  Yes, the college degree was a net negative.

And yes, they were caught outright lying about their placement figures.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 03:57:10 PM »
damn.  Lawyer vs Lawyer.  Hard to know which side to root for.     :)

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 04:07:54 PM »
damn.  Lawyer vs Lawyer.  Hard to know which side to root for.     :)

Asteroid
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 04:23:23 PM »
In Germany, the unemployment agency would probably give her referrals to a couple of brothels.

Close enough?

http://www.taz.de/1/archiv/?dig=2004/12/18/a0077
I promise not to duck.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 08:04:23 PM »
And there's the rub.  She could be working.  She couldbe practicing law.  Just not how she imagined it, meaning not for a six figure salary while wearing Prada and driving her Mercedes home from court to her million dollar home.  Lots of new lawhers start as public defenders, or prosecutors, or legal aide, or court appointed lawyers.  Get some experience.  Prove you can do the work. Then maybe you can move on to the big firm.  She needs to get over herself.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 08:16:54 PM »
And there's the rub.  She could be working.  She couldbe practicing law.  Just not how she imagined it, meaning not for a six figure salary while wearing Prada and driving her Mercedes home from court to her million dollar home.  Lots of new lawhers start as public defenders, or prosecutors, or legal aide, or court appointed lawyers.  Get some experience.  Prove you can do the work. Then maybe you can move on to the big firm.  She needs to get over herself.

That was my understanding - that she thought the job offers were beneath her. Heck, some big time attorneys start out with their offices in the back of nail salons.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 08:18:32 PM »
Better call Saul.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 10:07:32 PM »
Better call Saul.

Winnar! Winnar! Chicken Dinnar!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 10:32:02 PM »
That was my understanding - that she thought the job offers were beneath her. Heck, some big time attorneys start out with their offices in the back of nail salons.

Actually, a few years ago Lawyers apparently hit a saturation point, going from 90% of all graduates who pass the bar being immediately hired to only 10%.  IE you were in trouble unless you graduated with honors or such.

As she said - she got one offer, and even that offer was for less than other work she could perform.

So they made an offer that would have given her experience in her chosen field, but pays less than being a starbucks barrista.  Tough choice.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 11:40:12 AM »

We've got one here who shares office space with her husband's roofing business.  Does make her popular with people who need to argue with their homeowners' insurance.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 12:42:38 PM »
Actually, a few years ago Lawyers apparently hit a saturation point, going from 90% of all graduates who pass the bar being immediately hired to only 10%.  IE you were in trouble unless you graduated with honors or such.

As she said - she got one offer, and even that offer was for less than other work she could perform.

So they made an offer that would have given her experience in her chosen field, but pays less than being a starbucks barrista.  Tough choice.
Either way, if she wants to move forward in that field, she might have to start with lower paying jobs. 

I know someone who graduated with an accounting degree.  Ended up working at a credit union for $25K I think.  He didn't like it, but he did that for a year and ended up being the "computer guy" and did backups and such.  He got laid off and got a job quickly installing computer systems for banks making 50% more which led to 3 times the original pay in just a few years.  Now he is working for Equifax from home doing cloud programming making six figures.  Doing well after started at $25K originally.  I know he loves the programming work much more than if he was actually doing accounting stuff. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 12:52:49 PM »
Kids today have not for some reason been taught or have grasped the concept of paying your dues.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 03:07:11 PM »
Kids today have not for some reason been taught or have grasped the concept of paying your dues.

Either that, or they've been slapped in the face with 'pay your dues' and never getting the services back, so they're taking their ball(labor) and going home.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 04:19:33 PM »
Either that, or they've been slapped in the face with 'pay your dues' and never getting the services back, so they're taking their ball(labor) and going home.
In a lot of ways it's a downward spiraling race between the chicken and the egg on that one.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 04:26:23 PM »

Too many things contributed to this.  You've got the Lebron James story, the kid who walks out of high school and starts pulling in millions of dollars.  You've got the Kardashians and Paris Hilton and the other rich kids who don't work, have no appreciable skills that can be demonstrated without at least an R rating, yet they seem to get paid money just to show up and smile.  Now, you add to this the entertainment industry.  Lawyers aren't shown driving beater cars, wearing suits from Kohls, and actually working hard for a living.  our hero here may have walked through the doors to law school with expectations that if she did well, she'd walk into a six figure job at a big firm.  But the legal field has been injured.  the internet has taken a huge chunk out of the practice of law.  You don't need a lawyer to do a will, or a power of attorney.  The forms are online.  You don't need a lawyer to handle most simple estates, because the courts have put many of the forms online.  A lot of the grunt work like this that used to be the bread and butter of associates in big firms has been dramatically reduced, as have the high paying associate jobs.  So instead you have to find work where you can get it, or even go outside the traditional practice of law to make a living.  Pay your dues.  Then maybe that big firm job will be available.  Or maybe you'll learn to live within your means and appreciate being your own boss.  Or maybe you'll sue the law school.   :facepalm:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark