Author Topic: USMC to phase out iron sights  (Read 1918 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
USMC to phase out iron sights
« on: March 12, 2016, 02:58:03 PM »
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/2016/03/08/marines-ditch-iron-sights-consider-new-marksmanship-training-tables/81494556/

While the iron sights and handles will still be authorized, the Marine Corps will gradually deplete its existing stocks through attrition.

The legacy iron sights will be replaced with micro backup iron sights, which are modular attachments that can be affixed to a rifle’s rail mount and flipped up for use.

Article's  headline is a bit misleading.  They're not doing away with irons altogether (which would be a bad idea IMO).

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: USMC to phase out iron sights
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 04:23:20 PM »
Shows how far tech on optics has  come since the 1980s and 90s when I was in the Army.  Optics were considered too fragile/unreliable for general issue.  Times have changed...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 04:25:03 PM »
But yet they still issue swords.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 04:36:45 PM »
I don't run iron sights on most of my rifles anymore.  The Aimpoints are plenty reliable.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 04:46:32 PM »
Irons are quickly moving to back up status for many folks, if they bother with them at all. Hell even the cheap but decent red dots tend to be very reliable these days.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 05:30:43 PM »
I remember when my unit, got the M68 Red Dot Sight.

This is sweet ............

How do we sight in these, f%$^ing things ?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 12:56:36 AM »
Sadly optics are now allowed in highpower. Boo.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 10:45:37 AM »
I don't run iron sights on most of my rifles anymore.  The Aimpoints are plenty reliable.
I agree on Aimpoint reliability.  I love to not worry about leaving it on and burning down the batteries.  The cost is still up there a bit.

I still like having good Troy or Yankee Hill flip up iron sights, but they are pretty expensive. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 10:50:07 AM »
So what is the typical optical sight used?  Trijicon or Aimpoint or other?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 11:30:09 AM »
Trijicon, Aimpoint, EOTech are the big names that I keep seeing. Which models are used by the pros? Have no idea...

They are all very different and one or the other may not suit your particular eyes from what I have gathered... EOTechs for example give people with astigmatism a bit of trouble due to their particular holographic projection system. If someone could explain what makes it different from an Aimpoint I would appreciate it.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 12:36:34 PM »
So what is the typical optical sight used?  Trijicon or Aimpoint or other?

Aimpoint for red dots, Trijicon for low mag rugged scopes (USMC in particular issues a lot of Trijicons, Army issued the M4 Aimpoint as the M68 CCO)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 12:37:55 PM »
Trijicon, Aimpoint, EOTech are the big names that I keep seeing. Which models are used by the pros? Have no idea...

They are all very different and one or the other may not suit your particular eyes from what I have gathered... EOTechs for example give people with astigmatism a bit of trouble due to their particular holographic projection system. If someone could explain what makes it different from an Aimpoint I would appreciate it.

Eotechs use a laser projection system Aimpoints use an LED. Aimpoints are far more reliable durable and power efficient.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 01:24:04 PM »
Which one forces you to swear allegiance to the Pope?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 01:25:14 PM »
one can only hope that when the going gets tough, the battery supply does not dry up.   

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 01:47:21 PM »
one can only hope that when the going gets tough, the battery supply does not dry up.   
Standardize on AA batteries.  Stack 'em deep, and also get some NiMH rechargeable batteries, preferably Sanyo Eneloop.  Get some solar charger capability.  This is the way to go.  If it all goes pear-shaped, you will have sights, lights, and comms.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 02:44:06 PM »

Taking in to account the battery lifespan of most Aimpoints, it is easy and affordable to stock literally your lifespan in AA's. 

ACOG's are actually worse for no-support illumination life, as the tritium will wear out on schedule, no mater what, and if you can't send it to the factory you are SOL.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 07:48:14 PM »
So what is the typical optical sight used?  Trijicon or Aimpoint or other?

Every damned thing had a TA31 on it in my company's armory, save for the M32,  and I never saw it leave the rack

Source-  USMC H&S CO.  All the line CO's I ever worked with had them as well,  though as recently as 2010 they weren't standard issue in Boot.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 08:01:44 PM »
Most of the M16A4's I've seen have ACOG's.  M16A2's get Aimpoints (M68/CompM4) on a cantilever mount out over the handguard. I've seen M4's with both, and some EOTechs, on them. The EOTechs were personal, but no one said anything about them.  Additionally we usually have at least one AN/PVS-14 for every one on duty per shift, that either goes on your helmet or on the gun behind the M68. M249's in the Automatic Rifleman role tend to get ACOGS.  M240's get ACOGs or an Elcan M145 Machine Gun Optic.  I've run M2's with either Trijicon's M2 specific ACOG MGO or AN/PAS-13 Thermal Weapons sight. Those are the optics an Army Reserve Trans unit has on hand and on weapons.  And we are normally pretty far behind the cutting edge of new gear.

I've even known guys that had both an ACOG and an M68 zeroed for their weapon and would swap them based on the mission. They were combat arms along for a ride though.  We transporters generally have to pick one and stick with it.

ETA: I'e seen Navy and USMC M2's with EOtechs on them as well.  Don't know how well they work, but they had some kind of fancy recoil reducing mount that housed the HWS and a scope of some kind for target ID.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 08:17:05 PM »
You can get 20 year life lithium batteries.  One 8 pack will last you quite some time.  That is if you get a sight that uses standard batteries.  Otherwise, you can still stock up with extra batteries. 

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 09:05:55 PM »

I think it's Trijicon with the bible references on the case.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 09:22:30 PM »
I think it's Trijicon with the bible references on the case.

My favorite point about that optic,  it offended the right people while being awesome for killing Christendom's enemies   >:D
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 09:33:36 PM »

However you can use Papal to buy it, so that's something.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 03:34:55 PM »

No, they don't.  The sword is a ceremonial piece of kit, that is optional, expensive, and not even sharp.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 03:40:42 PM »

With optics?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 05:44:25 PM »
With optics?

Credit where credit is due:  That was funny
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”