Author Topic: Campus shut down because of 'gun sound'  (Read 3552 times)

brimic

• friends
Campus shut down because of 'gun sound'
« on: March 15, 2016, 01:38:11 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/uw-platteville-cancels-classes-over-unspecified-threat-b99687451z1-372020111.html

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville canceled classes Monday afternoon after a report of a gun in the building where the chancellor's office is located.

Ullsvik Hall, which also houses a coffee shop, art gallery and other offices, was immediately evacuated, and the campus was shut down within minutes.

Chancellor Dennis Shields said at an afternoon news conference that a student in the first floor of the building reported the incident.

"The witness heard what sounded like the racking of a gun from within one of the stalls in the restroom, observed what appeared to be a gun barrel, and exited the bathroom and pulled the fire alarm," Shields said, according to the Dubuque Telegraph Herald.

It doesn't even take gun shaped clouds or pop tarts anymore, just sounds.   :rofl:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Campus shut down because of 'gun sound'
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 02:16:13 PM »
Probably someone's cell phone text notification. Or student Doe didn't want to take a test.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 02:36:47 PM »
They probably don't even know what racking a slide sounds like.  All they have ever heard are the fake sounds Hollywood plays over and over.

I am inclined to agree with the "didn't want to take a test" reason. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 02:56:31 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/uw-platteville-cancels-classes-over-unspecified-threat-b99687451z1-372020111.html

It doesn't even take gun shaped clouds or pop tarts anymore, just sounds.   :rofl:
[/quote

Why would any of them even know?

(My wife can distinguish gunshots from firecrackers.  And has the police non-emergency number memorized.  Which should tell you something about our neighborhood.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 03:00:13 PM »
So someone at a school says they saw a firearm, and heard someone charging the weapon. And they pulled the fire alarm. So the school was evacuated.

And?

I don't get the joke.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 03:22:21 PM »
Probably someone's cell phone text notification. Or student Doe didn't want to take a test.

Winnah!
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 04:00:28 PM »
and exited the bathroom and pulled the fire alarm,"

Ya know -- when I was a kid, pulling the fire alarm for no good reason was something the retarded (special ed) kids did.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 04:09:45 PM »
Ya know -- when I was a kid, pulling the fire alarm for no good reason was something the retarded (special ed) kids did.

But now, everybody is special.
"It's good, though..."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 05:53:02 PM »
Somebody cocked a  Glock?      ??? [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 06:02:24 PM »
Everyone at that university is one package of Black Cats away from a semester off......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

griz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 06:14:41 PM »
For decades I've heard that the sound of a shotgun being cycled would scare away everybody within ear shot.  Guess it works at even greater distances.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 06:29:56 PM »
I find myself less and less surprised by the behavior of idiots students at supposed halls of learning these days.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 08:51:56 PM »
For decades I've heard that the sound of a shotgun being cycled would scare away everybody within ear shot.  Guess it works at even greater distances.
Maybe someone could rig up a little device that doesn't look like a gun, but is spring loaded and can be racked back and forth and sound just like a gun.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 09:01:41 PM »

Only when it has a fire alarm as backup.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 10:24:37 PM »
Somebody cocked a  Glock?      ??? [popcorn]

Don't be silly. They thumbed  the safety off on the glock.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 11:28:38 PM »
Maybe someone could rig up a little device that doesn't look like a gun, but is spring loaded and can be racked back and forth and sound just like a gun.

There's an app for that.  >:D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 06:55:39 AM »
Hold on, let's give the kid some credit.  Wanted a day off, knew if he said "gun", the world would shut down,  and he would have excused absences and no test/quiz.  Resourceful.

[barf]
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 08:20:54 AM »
PUlled the fire alarm when there was no fire.  Does he have to pay for the fire trucks coming?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 08:34:47 AM »

PUlled the fire alarm when there was no fire.  Does he have to pay for the fire trucks coming?

I've heard of pulling a fire alarm as being listed as a proper response to any threat where outside help is required. At least it will get somebodies attention.
However, in this case  :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 09:40:08 AM »
There's an app for that.  >:D
You are correct.  I forgot about that. 

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 09:49:35 AM »

Done right, loading some staplers can sound just like a locked back slide being released.  My first roommate also scared off a suspected armed robber with a credit card imprinter once.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 11:42:29 AM »
Hmmm . . . small paper bag . . . inflated via breath . . . held shut . . . slapped between hands . . . PANIC ENSUES!!!

Much hilarity . . .

Next up . . . the frightening perils of popping bubble wrap . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 01:31:10 PM »
And to think, a "normal" prank when my dad was in the Baptist college here in LA, where his dad, the preacher, was a dean, they set off aerial bomb fireworks in the dorm halls! *BOOM!* doors open, everyone looks out, *BOOM!* the shell goes off at the other end. All hell breaks loose.

I dunno why dad was expelled. 5 times...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 01:34:11 PM »
Hmmm . . . small paper bag . . . inflated via breath . . . held shut . . . slapped between hands . . . PANIC ENSUES!!!

Much hilarity . . .

Next up . . . the frightening perils of popping bubble wrap . . .

I always pop those large air bladders Amazon uses when they pack stuff. A good, quick, one handed squeeze and a satisfying POP! The cat is a little jumpy these days but screw the little hairball.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 03:07:52 PM »
I guess the thread title has some of you people buffaloed. The story is that the student thought he heard a gun being loaded in a bathroom stall, and then thought he saw the gun. Many of the responses here make as much sense as the guy pulling the fire alarm.

Edit: Make that "less sense."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife