Author Topic: Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) question  (Read 3861 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) question
« on: March 20, 2016, 06:08:17 AM »
Win7 64-bit Version 6.1.7101
HP G72 laptop.
External USB Keyboard and Mouse.
New behavior (a week or so that I've noticed it):

Update downloaded

I immediately start either Quick or Full scan.

Scan stops when I press the either the external Keyboard space bar or the one on the laptop, returns to opening MSE screen.  (Stops the scan.)  Does not seem to stop the scan when other keys hit.

Essentially, this means I cannot have MSE run in the background, since as soon as I enter any text and hit the spacebar, I kill the scan.

I do not want to go to Win10 yet.

Hints as to what's goofy, please?

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 06:21:41 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 12:18:43 PM »
Hints as to what's goofy, please?

Microsoft?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 12:59:51 PM »
^ LOLz.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 01:25:26 PM »
MSE is now not even recommended by MS. Get Avast or something along those lines. I use Avast on my laptops and AVG on my Media Center laptop (free editions on all the antivirus). I use two different ones because AVG Free lets me scan my SAN volumes and AVAST has features I like if you only want it to schedule local scans and protect against mail and web intrusion. Yeah, it's a little "naggy" wanting ya to upgrade to the paid version with "features" I don't want but not enough so to irritate me into paying to make it go away and trust me, my tolerance level for that carp is low.
 :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 06:09:03 PM »
Try Bitdefender. Register once, and you're done.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 08:22:52 PM »
Try Bitdefender. Register once, and you're done.
This is what I recommend now.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 02:22:53 PM »
Having used MSE on all my Windows boxen for some years now, it felt very odd to get rid of it. Having looked into the rankings given by various tech websites, I went with Avira's free version. (Free AV has always worked for me.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 03:32:02 PM »
Having used MSE on all my Windows boxen for some years now, it felt very odd to get rid of it. Having looked into the rankings given by various tech websites, I went with Avira's free version. (Free AV has always worked for me.)

I really liked it when it first came out. I thought it was one of Microsoft's best products. Did a great job with absolutely minimal resource drain. I wish they would have continued it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 07:55:13 PM »
I really liked it when it first came out. I thought it was one of Microsoft's best products. Did a great job with absolutely minimal resource drain. I wish they would have continued it.

I guess they want us to move on to a newer OS, that comes with Windows Defender.

MSE is now not even recommended by MS.

Really?

http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

It's still advertised on their web site as "The best brains and brawn in the background."

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-product-information#tabs1=overview

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 10:20:15 PM »
From the article I posted:

Update: Microsoft has now released a statement, saying “We believe in Microsoft antimalware products and strongly recommend them to our customers, to our friends, and to our families.” Their statement unfortunately doesn’t directly address Holly Stewart’s comments...

Sort of a back-pedal, I guess.

FWIW, at the websites I looked at, MSE is still not getting very good marks. I looked at AV-Test, Toms Hardware, and one other one (maybe LifeHacker?). I think AVG, BitDefender, Kaspersky, Avira, and Panda were some of the top recommendations.

It would be nice if more of them would make a comparison of only the free apps. I've been using free antivirus for years, and haven't had any problems, or at least nothing bad enough I can even remember it. Not that I'd mind paying for it, but it doesn't seem worth it right now. How to Geek fisked various free utilities, and Avira they can only ding with the fact that it offered some free, optional web filter. That "feature" seems to have been removed (or they made it an opt-in), and I've had no problems with Avira since I installed it a few days ago. (I also used it for a year or so, before MSE.)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 12:47:32 AM »
I've been using free antivirus for years, and haven't had any problems, or at least nothing bad enough I can even remember it. Not that I'd mind paying for it, but it doesn't seem worth it right now.

Yeah, AV software has always seemed kinda high priced to me with the annual subscription thing and all. On the other hand, I suppose there is some resource intensive R&D to keep it all up to date on the practically daily new threats.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 01:45:38 AM »
Of course, having said that, now I'll probably get some mega-viruswormtrojan-of-death that will destroy all of my files, reformat everything, drain my back account, and frame me for inventing Jar-Jar Binks.