Author Topic: Critter I found at my parents' place  (Read 4506 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Critter I found at my parents' place
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2006, 09:08:46 AM »
You're a braver man than me.

Wait til I tell you what I was prodding him withlaugh

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2006, 09:28:07 AM »

Brad

Well?

By the way, regarding that picture in your first post: *right click, save as*  grin

I hope you don't mind, it's a pretty nice picture.

Andy

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006, 09:34:44 AM »

Brad

Well?

A man's stick is his own business.

By the way, regarding that picture in your first post: *right click, save as*  grin

I hope you don't mind, it's a pretty nice picture.

Not at all. Glad somebody appreciated it!

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2006, 09:48:36 AM »
Well?
A man's stick is his own business.

If you were poking the snake from 4' away with *that*, then you are definately more man than me. Shocked

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2006, 10:13:10 AM »
Nah, an itty two and half rattler can only strike out about a foot or so. The other three feet were insurance. Plus, I had Dad standing by with a shovel in case the critter decided to go on the move.

Brad
-HankB

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2006, 05:30:03 AM »
About two and a half feet. Six rattles and a button.

I was about four feet away when I snapped the pic. I kept prodding him trying to get his head up, but he kept hunkering down lower.

Brad

Quote from: Steve Irwin
"Now don't troy this at home folks, Oi'm a professional...Oi'm just going to give him a little nudge to woik him up and we'll see what koind of mood he's in, hay?

For the record I really, really enjoyed  Steve Irwin's productions. I'm making light of  the idea of a  non-pro copying his antics in real-life, not his tragic death.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

oldfart

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2006, 09:32:11 AM »
Back in the old days, when I had to work for a living, I had a young man work with me for a summer while he was going to college.  He told me about some of the odd jobs he's taken to get through school.  One job he'd taken was with a Boy Scout camp somewhere in Southern California.  His task was simply to hunt and kill rattlesnakes and he was paid by the number of buttons on the rattles.
Evidently, hunting was pretty good, since he paid for a year of college with his earnings, but here's where the odd part comes in.  It seems that no one at the camp had ever been actually bitten by a snake, only frightened, yet the following year several kids were bitten by rabbits and had to go through a series of rabies shots as a precaution.
I don't live around them anymore but when I did, I generally left them alone unless they were encroaching on my space.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2006, 12:34:20 PM »
Do you want to be the guy in charge when that one Cub Scout gets bit?  grin

Preemption is the better part of valor in those situations.  There's plenty of opportunity to show the kids snakes and proper behavior out in the woods on treks, no need to do it behind the chow hall.

I'm trying to think of a collection of young boys that wouldn't solve the rabbit problem themselves in a day or so, if only by the usual small boy tactic of "running around like idiots at full volume" much less with a collective complement of knives and "whacking sticks" that would shame the entire Zulu nation.

Must be well-disciplined Scouts.  cheesy
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2006, 12:36:19 PM »
That's better then the YMCA camp in my town. A few years ago they found a den of Copperheads under one of the kids cabins. What did they do? Call an exterminator? No, they quarantined the cabin and made the camp build a new one for the kids. Only in New Jersey do we let a den of poisonous snakes continue to thrive because their lives are much more important then the lives of a bunch of 8-12 year olds. Needless to say attendance at the camp has dwindled over the last couple of years. Who would knowingly let their kid go to a camp that has that kind of zoological attraction smack dab in the middle of it? I hate NJ, I really do.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 07:13:17 PM »
Back in the old days, when I had to work for a living, I had a young man work with me for a summer while he was going to college.  He told me about some of the odd jobs he's taken to get through school.  One job he'd taken was with a Boy Scout camp somewhere in Southern California.  His task was simply to hunt and kill rattlesnakes and he was paid by the number of buttons on the rattles.
Evidently, hunting was pretty good, since he paid for a year of college with his earnings, but here's where the odd part comes in.  It seems that no one at the camp had ever been actually bitten by a snake, only frightened, yet the following year several kids were bitten by rabbits and had to go through a series of rabies shots as a precaution.
I don't live around them anymore but when I did, I generally left them alone unless they were encroaching on my space.

Hmmmm ...

Harvey the attack rabbit got loose again, eh?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design