Author Topic: Is the cold fusion egg about to hatch?  (Read 3127 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Is the cold fusion egg about to hatch?
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2016, 05:57:45 PM »
Unfortunately, while I believe strongly in science, I've found that many scientists are corruptible. There are plenty of example of scams promulgated by supposed "men of science" . . .

* All manner of quack medical cures

* Pons & Fleischman with their cold fusion discovery.

* Joe Weber and his gravity wave experiment. (Using strain gages to detect deflections in large aluminum cylinders on the order of 1/100 the diameter of an atomic nucleus)

* A "more than 100% efficient" furnace for heating homes in Minnesota that impressed the faculty at U of MN. (Until a student realized their heat transfer measurements were done in centigrade rather than kelvin)

* Anthropogenic global warming . . . which can only be addressed by a massive transfer of money from my pocket to the accounts of people like Algore.

* The Dean Drive, a spaceship drive which converted rotational motion into linear thrust.

This latest "cold fusion discovery" seems to be just one more example of bad science. (And remember, it's not up to us to debunk it, it's up to the proponents to prove it. )

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zahc

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2016, 10:06:33 PM »
Pons and Fleischman get a bad rap. The tech press is as much to blame as they were. Sure, their experiment was wrong, probably, because nobody could duplicate it...but nobody should ever be punished for that. I don't put them in the same category with people that falsify data.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2016, 11:34:43 AM »
What AJ said. It's perfectly on point.

I'd also like to point out, any time anyone says something about inventing a new "cold fusion" or "warp drive" or "refreshing diet soda that tastes great", start with the assumption that they are lying. Because they are and they're scamming someone.

I will point out that dihydrogen monoxide is refreshing diet drink, that unless one wishes to have it stored in overpriced convenience packaging, it is very,very affordable (offer not valid in Flint, MI).
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2016, 12:08:21 PM »
I will point out that dihydrogen monoxide is refreshing diet drink, that unless one wishes to have it stored in overpriced convenience packaging, it is very,very affordable (offer not valid in Flint, MI).
But Brondo has electrolytes!!!!
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

birdman

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2016, 05:27:28 PM »
* A "more than 100% efficient" furnace for heating homes in Minnesota that impressed the faculty at U of MN. (Until a student realized their heat transfer measurements were done in centigrade rather than

Technically, -any- heat pump is more than 100% efficient if the metric is heat delivered vs power expended.
...it's kinda the point.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2016, 05:56:01 PM »
Technically, -any- heat pump is more than 100% efficient if the metric is heat delivered vs power expended.
...it's kinda the point.
Heat pumps tap an outside source of heat.

In the case of the miraculous Minnesota heater, a guy noticed that hydraulic fluid heated up when it was circulated. He made a fancy radiator and circulated hydraulic fluid through it, then used a fan or blower to remove the heat. Measuring the airflow (CFM) and both input and output temperatures allows one to compute the amount of energy which heated the known volume of air. Comparing this to the electricity used to drive the pumps and the fan allowed one to compute the efficiency.

IF the temperatures were measured in kelvin vs. centigrade. Going from, say, 20C to 30C yields results appreciably different than going from 283k to 293k.

Coming up next: using lasers to separate hydrogen and oxygen in water to run a fuel cell which will power the lasers and produce water to refill the fuel tank in a closed loop, with enough energy left over to power a car.  (Another invention that got some press a number of years back. )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

birdman

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2016, 08:25:51 PM »
Heat pumps tap an outside source of heat.

In the case of the miraculous Minnesota heater, a guy noticed that hydraulic fluid heated up when it was circulated. He made a fancy radiator and circulated hydraulic fluid through it, then used a fan or blower to remove the heat. Measuring the airflow (CFM) and both input and output temperatures allows one to compute the amount of energy which heated the known volume of air. Comparing this to the electricity used to drive the pumps and the fan allowed one to compute the efficiency.

IF the temperatures were measured in kelvin vs. centigrade. Going from, say, 20C to 30C yields results appreciably different than going from 283k to 293k.

Coming up next: using lasers to separate hydrogen and oxygen in water to run a fuel cell which will power the lasers and produce water to refill the fuel tank in a closed loop, with enough energy left over to power a car.  (Another invention that got some press a number of years back. )
Yeah, I know.  My point was that compared to an electrical heater, a heat pump is >100% efficient.
Since by definition, an electrical heater is 100% efficient.

If you don't define the control volume, an electrical heater is either 100% efficient, or 0% efficient...same with almost any device.