Author Topic: The Collective opinion on memory foam mattresses  (Read 8687 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The Collective opinion on memory foam mattresses
« on: March 26, 2016, 06:49:58 PM »
It is time to replace our innerspring mattress foundation.  We have been making the rounds of the stores, and we are leaning toward a memory foam mattress with an adjustable base.  There are some models of the Serta iComfort that seem nice, notably the Prodigy.  We were not as impressed with several models of the Tempur-Pedic.

Any recommendations, pros or cons on memory foam mattresses?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The Collective opinion on memory foam mattresses
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 07:21:13 PM »
I'm a big fan.  I bought this one off Amazon back in 2011 and it is still holding up great.

http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Innovations-Shiloh-12-inch-Mattress/dp/B003CT37L0/ref=lp_10063230011_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1459033626&sr=1-1

My original expectation was that even if it "got lumpy" or whatever after a few years that for 1/4 the price of the name brand, I'd just order another. However, it has held up remarkably well. I like a firmer mattress and the 12" is quite firm.  I bought the 10" for my parents not long after I bought mine, and it's a bit softer.

One complaint people have with memory foam is that it holds in heat. I DO NOT like to sleep hot, so am sensitive to that. The only times I've ever had a heat problem is back at the old place (no air conditioning) when we got some of our very few 90 degree days (actually nights, because we had hot winds blow off the mountains in the evening during those times). Now that I have AC, no problemo ever.

It does somewhat mold to you (not like a perfect mold of your body, as commercials sometimes show). It is quite comfortable. The one time I found a downside to it was after I got back from the hospital after having an abdominal operation. I tried to get out of bed (getting in was easy) and it was NOT fun. Not as easy to get out of as a conventional mattress. Normally not a problem, but that time it literally took me 30 minutes of inching my way to the edge before  I could get out, and the last movement of getting up was... excruciating. After that I slept in my recliner for the next five days.  :laugh:

If you shack up with someone, it also doesn't transmit movement as much as a conventional mattress. This is great for sleeping, but some people don't like it for non-sleeping activities.

Anyway, two thumbs up from this guy. It's what I'm sticking with until they invent something better.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 08:09:25 PM »

https://casper.com/

I've heard good things about these guys.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 08:48:18 PM »
I actually have the same mattress as Ben. I agree, the thing's great. I bought a topper for it which takes care of the heat issue. Sleep Innovations does make the mattresses for some big brands. Its been a couple years since I researched them; but I seem to recall Serta being one of them.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 10:02:01 PM »
Get a SleepNumber.  You'll never regret it.  Ours is over 10 years old.  Each side has its own adjustment ability.  I have never slept as well, ever.  If you want you can purchase a 4 inch memory foam pad for added comfort, though it's not necessary.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 01:15:31 AM »
https://casper.com/

I've heard good things about these guys.

Casper is good. We currently have a Leesa mattress that we've been very happy with; it's basically identical to the Casper, only difference is a synthetic latex top-layer on the Leesa vs natural latex top-layer on the Casper.

The benefit to a Casper or Leesa design is the latex on top of the memory foam layer. The latex layer prevents the heat issues some people get with memory foam, and gives the mattress just a smidge of bounce to reduce the bed sports issues Ben alluded to. Movement from a sleeping bed partner is still very minimal.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 09:02:46 AM »
Casper is good. We currently have a Leesa mattress that we've been very happy with; it's basically identical to the Casper, only difference is a synthetic latex top-layer on the Leesa vs natural latex top-layer on the Casper.

The benefit to a Casper or Leesa design is the latex on top of the memory foam layer. The latex layer prevents the heat issues some people get with memory foam, and gives the mattress just a smidge of bounce to reduce the bed sports issues Ben alluded to. Movement from a sleeping bed partner is still very minimal.

I wonder if anyone makes a mattress that is OPTIMIZED for the so-called bed sports.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 10:24:16 AM »
Get a SleepNumber.  You'll never regret it.  Ours is over 10 years old.  Each side has its own adjustment ability.  I have never slept as well, ever.  If you want you can purchase a 4 inch memory foam pad for added comfort, though it's not necessary.

I was askibg the same kind of questions 10 or so years ago and ended up with a sleep number bed. Expensive, but I will eventually buy another- that stayed witg the ex.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 11:03:49 AM »
I wonder if anyone makes a mattress that is OPTIMIZED for the so-called bed sports.

I would guess the answer is yes and the google search would require a strong stomach.

Good luck.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 08:48:34 PM »

Water bed, from physics perspective.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 11:46:50 PM »
I bought a Zen king size foam mattress back in 2012, and I've never have slept better.   The only thing is I have to rotate 90o every 2-3 months, so that the "dent" fluffs back out and I put a new dent in it. 

I bought it with a Groupon (and I needed a new mattress anyway).  I know I paid less than $200 for it, but  can't remember the exact amount...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 01:56:29 PM »
I got a really nice "traditional" mattress then put a memory foam topper on it. I was not happy. I think I need to do something different, but the bummer is that it seems you need some time to figure out if it'll work for  you, and once you buy a mattress it's yours.

Sigh.

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 02:59:38 PM »

One of my high school teachers referred to those as "bedroom gymnastics."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Marnoot

• friend
Re: Re: The Collective opinion on memory foam mattresses
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 08:55:17 PM »
I got a really nice "traditional" mattress then put a memory foam topper on it. I was not happy. I think I need to do something different, but the bummer is that it seems you need some time to figure out if it'll work for  you, and once you buy a mattress it's yours.

Sigh.
That's another benefit to the Leesa and Casper type mattresses. 90 days money back guarantee. If you don't like it they have someone come pick it up and it goes to a local charity.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

birdman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 09:02:00 PM »
I bought a Zen king size foam mattress back in 2012, and I've never have slept better.   The only thing is I have to rotate 90o every 2-3 months, so that the "dent" fluffs back out and I put a new dent in it. 

About which axis?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 12:28:54 AM »
About which axis?

All 16 of them.  =D

I do flip it also.   ;)

I did forget to mention that I rarely toss and turn since I bought it.   I often find I wake up in the same position I fell asleep in.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 05:59:08 AM »
Am I the only one here that still has a waterbed?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 06:17:37 AM »

*sigh*.  Yesss, we know you have a sailboat.

Chris

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 07:56:55 AM »
Actually the cushions on the "yacht" are a rather firm foam. We still sleep in a traditional wave-less waterbed at home.
=D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 07:59:43 AM »

You do know that they have night garments that will keep you from waking up in a puddle of your own pee, right?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 08:01:54 AM »
You do know that they have night garments that will keep you from waking up in a puddle of your own pee, right?

maybe I should tell my wife that :facepalm:

Samuel Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2016, 01:39:04 PM »
Just remember guys... memory foam never forgets...

I promise not to duck.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2016, 04:18:25 PM »
Just remember guys... memory foam never forgets...

Now now, I'm sure those are just impressions from fleshflashlights.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2016, 08:37:29 PM »
One significant benefit to a foam mattress is that if you and your partner have offset sleep schedules, nobody gets bounced awake when the last person gets in, or the first person gets out.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2016, 09:21:53 PM »
maybe I should tell my wife that :facepalm:

I'd say it....

Depends...

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.