Author Topic: The __-second rule for dropped food.  (Read 4171 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The __-second rule for dropped food.
« on: March 29, 2016, 04:49:44 PM »
In news that sent shock-waves through the scientific community, it has been revealed that the five-second rule is not really for reals.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/news/three-second-rule-is-a-myth-says-new-research/

:facepalm:

So do people really take the __-second rule seriously, or is it just the Telegraph that's clueless?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: The __-second rule for dropped food.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 05:14:02 PM »
So do people really take the __-second rule seriously, or is it just the Telegraph that's clueless?

My general rule is that I look at it and decide if washing it off will help.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 05:24:28 PM »
I thought Mythbusters did that one years ago and found the same thing.

The Simpsons probably did it too. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 05:55:25 PM »
It generally takes a lot less than 5 seconds for our dog to hoover up any dropped food. Most times it doesn't even make it to the floor.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 06:06:31 PM »
It generally takes a lot less than 5 seconds for our dog to hoover up any dropped food. Most times it doesn't even make it to the floor.

Yup
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 06:11:57 PM »
Probably the people worried about the three second rule should be more worried about whats in the hamburger/salad/chicken that they didn't drop on the floor. Or else not get overly worried and just eat.

I wonder how many people that worry about food germs worry about all the e coli that gets on their toothbrush from toilet flushing.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 06:37:30 PM »
My general rule was that if the food hit the floor -- it belonged to the dog, if she wanted it. Now that I no longer have the dog, if food hits the floor it goes directly to the garbage.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 08:37:02 PM »
Between the dogs and the cats, food on floor doesn't really last.

For food that doesn't end up down a critters goozle pipe, as they used to say at the Christian summer camp I attended, "God made dirt, and dirt don't hurt"
My five second rule boils down to what is the visible condition of the floor, what normally happens on that floor and is anything stuck to the food? If the floor looks clean, does not generally have a lot of crazy gross stuff going on and the food doesn't have anything sticking to it, it's all good.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 09:01:18 PM »
Reminds me of the joke about the lady of the house dropping the roast at her dinner party while bringing it into the dining room.

Quick-thinking husband says, "Oh, honey, don't worry, just take it back in the kitchen and bring out the other roast."

<rimshot>

In my house, the germs on the floor would devour it before any dog could ever get to it... five seconds or no five seconds.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 09:25:40 PM »
When Mason was alive the food would never hit the floor.

Not because he would grab it, but because it would land on the thick blanket of his shed fur that would reappear seconds after I'd clean it up...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 09:33:59 PM »
Not because he would grab it, but because it would land on the thick blanket of his shed fur that would reappear seconds after I'd clean it up...

I'd say you should get a Roomba and hack it to follow your next Leonberger around, but it would probably choke on the fur before it ever made it back to its recharging station.  :laugh:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 09:35:59 PM »
For food that doesn't end up down a critters goozle pipe, as they used to say at the Christian summer camp I attended, "God made dirt, and dirt don't hurt"

True. Dirt don't hurt. Dirt is just broken-down rocks. If broken-down rocks were the only thing on the floor...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 09:40:37 PM »
I'd say you should get a Roomba and hack it to follow your next Leonberger around, but it would probably choke on the fur before it ever made it back to its recharging station.  :laugh:

I know Leo owners who have tried Roomba and other robotic vacs.

FAIL.

Leo shedding during the "slow" months is serious.

During the spring and fall coat blows? It's like a tidal wave.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 09:45:24 PM »
I plan on using the term "goozle pipe" at work once tomorrow.  I know a buddy at work who will appreciate it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 10:26:52 PM »
I plan on using the term "goozle pipe" at work once tomorrow.  I know a buddy at work who will appreciate it.

It's an old family favorite.

I know Leo owners who have tried Roomba and other robotic vacs.

FAIL.

Leo shedding during the "slow" months is serious.

During the spring and fall coat blows? It's like a tidal wave.

You should see what happens when we hit it with the blow dryer.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 10:10:55 AM »
I recall mentioning it to my mother after I heard some bacteria can cause ulcers.  She just commented on how that was why we didn't eat food off the floor. 

I know how often I sweep and mop.  I don't eat food off the floor. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 12:16:02 PM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 12:27:12 PM »
I look at it this way, after almost 20 years of eating military food and all the shots I have received prior to deployments, I don't think there is much that would hurt me on the floors of my house.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 09:16:14 PM »
"You should see what happens when we hit it with the blow dryer. "

I've seen it MANY times. Mason was my only Leonberger, but I'm well versed in the Leo, as quite a few of my friends have had them. I spent a considerable amount of time this evening scratching a Leonberger behind the ears. She seems to think I'm her special buddy.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 09:38:45 PM »
That is a term that should be used with ample context clues.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 09:55:12 PM »
"You should see what happens when we hit it with the blow dryer. "

I've seen it MANY times. Mason was my only Leonberger, but I'm well versed in the Leo, as quite a few of my friends have had them. I spent a considerable amount of time this evening scratching a Leonberger behind the ears. She seems to think I'm her special buddy.

Most people are not familiar with the blow dryers that the groomers use and our dryers are not the same as the traditional hair dryers since the object is to literally blow water and anything else out of the coats.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 08:06:25 AM »
"Most people are not familiar with the blow dryers that the groomers use"

I've often arrived at dog shows early, before the first rounds of judging, to the serenade of Xpowers, Metrovacs, ChallengeAir....

The Fur Chorus for Many Breeds.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 02:51:10 PM »
"Most people are not familiar with the blow dryers that the groomers use"

I've often arrived at dog shows early, before the first rounds of judging, to the serenade of Xpowers, Metrovacs, ChallengeAir....

The Fur Chorus for Many Breeds.

They're only going at about half power, if that.  ;)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 03:00:44 PM »
Most people are not familiar with the blow dryers that the groomers use and our dryers are not the same as the traditional hair dryers since the object is to literally blow water and anything else out of the coats.

Go big or go home.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 03:11:25 PM »
Go big or go home.

They flap. It sounds funny...