Author Topic: Trump's unfavorablity ratings  (Read 7264 times)

Pb

• friend
Trump's unfavorablity ratings
« on: April 01, 2016, 02:57:04 PM »
The majority of every single demographic group dislikes Trump.

Pretty impressive achievement, that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/03/31/nightmare-nominee-nobody-likes-donald-trump-not-even-white-men/

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Trump's unfavorablity ratings
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 03:40:37 PM »
* Note: Respondents who answered "No Opinion" not shown

If so many people don't like The Donald, why is it that he's still way ahead in the delegate count, and the Republican party is working so frantically to find ways to sabotage his candidacy?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 04:25:40 PM »
If so many people don't like The Donald, why is it that he's still way ahead in the delegate count, and the Republican party is working so frantically to find ways to sabotage his candidacy?

Hawkmoon, Trump hasn't gotten most of the voters in the primary.  He has a plurality.  The non-Trump republican voters are in the majority but it is split among several candidates.  That is how it is possible for most conservatives to dislike him.

That is only among primary voters.  Among general election voters he is far more unpopular.

How is he going to win when 67% of general election voters despise him?  Trump voters with their ideas about him winning moderates and "Reagan democrats" are utterly delusional.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 04:30:47 PM »

I think a bunch of people didn't like him, but voted for him anyway to send a message to The Establishment.  Cut off your nose to spite your face.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 04:31:04 PM »
Trumps success in the polls is the social equivalent of the little girl from the trailer park is mad at her dad and figures the best way she can hurt his feelings is by getting knocked up by one of the brothers from the projects

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 04:32:22 PM »
How is he going to win when 67% of general election voters despise him?  Trump voters with their ideas about him winning moderates and "Reagan democrats" are utterly delusional.

The republicans might want to take that deal from Obama for a 'conservative democrat' to replace Scalia, because if Trump wins the primary, I don't see any way in hell he'd win against Clinton.  And I detest Clinton.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 04:35:37 PM »
Trumps success in the polls is the social equivalent of the little girl from the trailer park is mad at her dad and figures the best way she can hurt his feelings is by getting knocked up by one of the brothers from the projects

Awww... that is an amazing analogy, but on first reading I read "knocked up by one of her brothers."

Which is a whole other level of messed up.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 08:56:55 PM »
Hawkmoon, Trump hasn't gotten most of the voters in the primary.  He has a plurality.  The non-Trump republican voters are in the majority but it is split among several candidates.  That is how it is possible for most conservatives to dislike him.

That is only among primary voters.  Among general election voters he is far more unpopular.

That is pretty much how McCain won the nomination a few years back.  He was getting a solid 20% or more and that was enough to put him over the top in the first handful of primaries.  None of the other candidates were strong enough to challenge him after that. 

I was wondering if that has been changing after Rubio and Carson dropped out.  There are fewer candidates to split the vote.  Not sure but maybe enough to keep Trump from getting a majority. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 11:29:56 PM »
The republicans might want to take that deal from Obama for a 'conservative democrat' to replace Scalia, because if Trump wins the primary, I don't see any way in hell he'd win against Clinton.  And I detest Clinton.
Part of what defines the establishment as the establishment is its perceived invincibility.

The primaries are showing that any pronouncement of "no way" is premature.  Trump isn't a mouthpiece for special interests, and it shows - that's got an appeal all its own.  Look at dissatisfaction with congress, the president, and clintons over time to compare.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 11:35:16 PM »
Hillary is the next president, get used to it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 11:35:49 PM »
I think a bunch of people didn't like him, but voted for him anyway to send a message to The Establishment.  Cut off your nose to spite your face.

That's really the dem side as well. I saw Sanders has again beat his previous month's contributions numbers, and apparently the vast, vast number of contributions averages around 25 bucks a pop. That means he's getting big raw numbers for individual voters. Clinton getting the dem nomination may be as interesting to watch as a brokered Republican convention.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 11:37:48 PM »

Everyone said the same when Barack started his campaign too.

I would normally bet on a democrat in this race, but the Hill has a track record of losing votes the more she gets in the spotlight.   The polls will not look anything like they do now after the conventions.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 12:21:30 AM »

I would normally bet on a democrat in this race, but the Hill has a track record of losing votes the more she gets in the spotlight.   The polls will not look anything like they do now after the conventions.

And has she ever won a general election outside of New York?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 12:33:14 AM »

Yup
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 01:46:24 AM »

The more folk see of Hillary they less they like her.  She is most popular when folk hear little from her.  There is good reason there are so few Dem debates.  Wasserman-Schultz and Hill's folk know this.  If she gets too much coverage before November, Trump's lead will be larger than the margin of fraud in too many states.  Cruz's would not be so large and it is likely he would be losing outright.

Sadly, Cruz would lose to Hill in a general election.  Oh, he has better arguments by the dozens, but it won't matter as the election will not be won with tight arguments.  The MSM will tight focus on Cruz and never let go.  All Cruzcruzcruz the dough-faced weenie.  And every once in a while a soft focus shot of Hillary, just to remind you she is running, has a vagina, and is not Cruz.  Given that he has the charisma of a 3 day old fish, Cruz won't be able to counter it.  And Cruz has not Trump's ability to turn most attacks against him to his advantage by going rhetorical/sales pitch.  And Cruz can't go after some of Hill & Bill's greatest weaknesses, as he has his own serial bimbo and current donation/campaign cash problems.  I've already heard the non-denials of the bimbos.  Clinton was better at it.  And it will erode his core evangelical support, which is a bad thing for the candidate who plans on winning by rallying the base.

Like DS wrote, the polls will be a whole different ball game after the conventions.  Most importantly, the MSM will not be able to keep Hill off the airwaves in their coverage of the Dem convention.  That will Eddie Haskell the game board and it will be a new game.

Sanders would, despite his general cluelessness, be a better candidate for the Dems0.  He has, like BHO in 2008 and Trump today, a less-defined image that folk can mold into the shapes of their hopes.

==========

For the tl;dr crowd:
1. Exposure during Dem convention hurts Hillary to the point she is about equal with GOP nominee.
2. The GOP nominee that can shift the focus to Hillary will prevail.
3. Cruz is incapable of #2.  Trump has the best odds to make it happen.
4. If Sanders wins the Dem convention, the GOP has only a sliver of a chance with Trump, zero chance with any other candidate.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Pb

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 11:42:59 AM »
Rooster, the more the general public sees of Trump, the more they hate him.  See the favorablity ratings I posted.

He just doubles down on being a jackass.  His voters (the minority of the primary voters!) love him for it, but it repulses the majority of the public.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 12:06:00 PM »
Here's my amateur take.  Trump has gone after Hillary relatively little. He's saved most of his fire for his primary opponents. He succeeded in defeating them in large part by defining them: low energy Bush, for example. The attacks may seem crude, but he's defining his opponent with them. Trump defines the opponent to the public, not the opponent.

Hillary is a wealth of attack material, and I can't see Trump not using every last crumb.

If Trump winds up as the nominee, I think there's going to be a very dramatic shift in poll numbers.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 02:16:04 PM »
Here's my amateur take.  Trump has gone after Hillary relatively little. He's saved most of his fire for his primary opponents. He succeeded in defeating them in large part by defining them: low energy Bush, for example. The attacks may seem crude, but he's defining his opponent with them. Trump defines the opponent to the public, not the opponent.

Hillary is a wealth of attack material, and I can't see Trump not using every last crumb.

If Trump winds up as the nominee, I think there's going to be a very dramatic shift in poll numbers.

Probably not.  The MSM is in the tank for HRC, and they will not cut Trump any slack at all.  Despite the fevered Internet-age hopes of conservatives, the MSM still hold a lot of sway over the great unwashed masses.
Trump will be depicted as the mean nasty kitten-killing Republican, and Hillary will be a victim of the vast right wing conspiracy.  She will win in November, and likely won't break a sweat doing it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 08:14:40 PM »
This has been a really odd election year, and I think really odd, unconventional things can still happen.

Maybe we'll get a chance to see if I'm right.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 08:55:21 PM »
Barring more racial strife and shenanigans like Ferguson, Baltimore etc. or more terrorist attacks like San Bernardino I don't see how Trump has a chance.

Minorities and women pretty much determine who runs the country now.

Advantage Clinton.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2016, 02:44:42 PM »
Probably not.  The MSM is in the tank for HRC, and they will not cut Trump any slack at all.  Despite the fevered Internet-age hopes of conservatives, the MSM still hold a lot of sway over the great unwashed masses.
Trump will be depicted as the mean nasty kitten-killing Republican, and Hillary will be a victim of the vast right wing conspiracy.  She will win in November, and likely won't break a sweat doing it.

The one thing that Trump has figured out better than any other candidate is that a plurality of America hates/distrusts/disbelieves the MSM and the more they're against a candidate, the more it serves as a de-facto endorsement.

The one true accomplishment I respect him for is this. He's managed to turn the "MSM is going to crucify you! Common wisdom on it's head."  For all his faults, this is the one thing I appreciate about him.

I also think there's a significant number of people who don't support him in the Primaries, and don't admit to supporting him in polls. However, many would support him over Hillary if it comes down to it. Is it enough for him to win? No clue... That I freely admit.  The opposite of the Obama effect, how he was 2-5% lower in actual voting returns than polling, just because statistically detectable number of Americans didn't want to answer poll questions and look "racist" for "being against the black guy" etc. Of course that was still enough to beat McCain and Romney handily anyway.

However, the enthusiasm-gap was firmly in play against the GOP both election cycles. So far, the enthusiasm-gap is working against the DNC massively this go around.

https://www.americarisingpac.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/New-Day-08_21_44-AM.jpg

How Trump plays in that, I don't know. But it's not going to Help Hillary or Sanders in the general. That's for sure.

That would be the one arguable upside of a Trump win, despite what a disaster he might be otherwise, he'd be a major break in the MSM's ability (including Fox) to "debate frame" and "set the tone" etc. Something that sadly, the Internet and talk radio, and the decline of the major 50 newspaper markets, and networks haven't been able to do yet.  
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 09:42:42 AM »
Why are the Trump supports throwing in the towel in defeat now?  Still a long way to go.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 11:21:31 AM »
Why are the Trump supports throwing in the towel in defeat now?  Still a long way to go.

Trump is really good at throwing in the towel. Are you kidding me? He throws a towel better than anybody. You have no idea. The towels that he throws are yooooge, and he throws them so far, you won't believe it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 11:35:39 AM »
The non-Trump republican voters are in the majority but it is split among several candidates.

Several?  Last I checked, it's some for Cruz, and Kasich still has his mom's vote.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 11:49:19 AM »
Several?  Last I checked, it's some for Cruz, and Kasich still has his mom's vote.

This. 

Frankly, the argument is lame and foolish.  Using the same logic, one could argue that EVEN MORE GOP primary voters are voting against any single one of the other candidates.

Indeed.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton