Author Topic: Airplane security  (Read 1409 times)

Chris

Airplane security
« on: November 29, 2006, 05:38:35 AM »
Okay folks, I'm going to be doing some travelling by airline next year, for work(seminars and training) and for pleasure(a ten-year anniversary trip to Hawaii).  In the old days, prior to 9/11 and the birth of TSA madness, I used to carry a Victorinox Swiss Army knife with a 3.5" locking blade, a small Victorinox utility Swiss Army knife, and a Mini-Mag light on my person, and a full sized 3 D cell Mag light and a Spyderco Delica in my carry-on.  With the badge in my wallet, no one questioned anything.  (Except a couple of times when airline employess asked me why I wasn't carrying a firearm on board.)

Anyways, the badge is gone, and the new rules are in place.  Anyone have any thoughts on what I can carry on board the plane?  The knives and flashlights will go in checked luggage (and hopefully be there when I arrive).  What can I carry on board, not bring down the wrath of TSA, and still have something?

client32

• friend
Re: Airplane security
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 05:44:46 AM »
Hot coffee.
That you have buy at the airport after you pass the check point.

I thought the small flashlight is still ok?

Lawdog might recommend a stick:
http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/07/aw-nuts.html
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 05:47:39 AM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 05:54:03 AM »
I echo JamisJockey -- go by the TSA list. I'm flying Friday and haven't flown since the latest aviation elevated threat level (for liquids, etc.), so I reviewed it just to be safe. The prohibited gel shoe inserts thing was a new one on me. Guess the comfy shoes are being checked this time.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Chris

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 05:59:31 AM »
WOW!  That is about as mindboggling a list as I have seen.  I can't carry my keychain sized Swiss Army Knife on board, but I can take knitting needles?  And the shoe ineserts...I guess I'll be packing my running shoes and wearing something else.  Maybe I should take up knitting...

Anyone seen anything about flashlights?

I'm off to read more from their lists.  Thanks for the link.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 06:17:12 AM »
WOW!  That is about as mindboggling a list as I have seen.  I can't carry my keychain sized Swiss Army Knife on board, but I can take knitting needles?  And the shoe ineserts...I guess I'll be packing my running shoes and wearing something else.  Maybe I should take up knitting...

Anyone seen anything about flashlights?

I'm off to read more from their lists.  Thanks for the link.

The government taught me a valuable lesson during my employment....if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.  Never more applicable than with the TSA regs.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 06:26:17 AM »
I carry a new pair of tubesocks, doubled up, and something small and heavy like a large socket.

A good cane, or "Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches" might be good.

ONE-SHOT-ONE

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 06:45:43 AM »
if you want to do the cane it is a good idea,
also read that a good glued spine magazine and a handfull of quarters with tape or rubberbands makes a formable baton.

place quarters along spine inside of mag fold a couple of pages down over them roll tightly and secure with tape or rubberbands (all this can be done after bording the individual items will not spark suspesion)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 07:00:48 AM »
I took a look a the list . . . interesting that they felt a need to specifically disallow meat cleavers, blasting caps, spear guns, and gasoline.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 07:23:14 AM »
I keep a Surefire G2Z in my briefcase and have flown commercial as recently as two weeks ago.  In all, I have probably carried that flashlight on board at least 50 flights since 9/11 and have never had a problem.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 07:44:12 AM »
Bring whatever you want, just wrap it up in your prayer rug.   smiley

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 08:10:27 AM »
A roll of foil would make a good baton, and in a pinch you can always use it to make an emergency hat.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 05:01:42 PM »
Gotta talk to my seamstress! A bandana with a pocket sewn into one corner is real inconspicuous. Put a few quarters in the pocket when things start going south.

Gonna cut a white ash tree for firewood. Will leave one section about 5' to split walking sticks out of. Ash is what ball bats are made from (call the grammer cops!). I always take a walking stick to the woods if I'm not carrying a long gun. Paracord or rawhide wrap makes a nice handle. A "fighting staff", up close and personal, makes a helleva weapon! Have a nice Sassafras stick and an Ironwood stick at present, plus a couple I'm not sure about. Incidentally, I always have a handgun in the woods. Didn't want that long gun phrase to be misleading.

Stay safe.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 06:54:34 PM »
I've not flown without a CDROM in a jewel case in the last 5 years.

A walking cane isn't overtly suspicious as long as you're using it. Mine's ironwood and has a 'loose' crook that's wider than those you commonly see.

Regards,
Rabbit.

To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 04:52:58 AM »
If some A-rab starts getting out of hand on a flight, I'll use whatever it takes to bring things to a screeching halt.  If push comes to shove, pick up a liberal and use 'em as a battering ram
 grin
JD

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 05:02:29 AM »
Liberals make terrible battering rams.  When faced with existential threats, they go all soft.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Chris

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 10:25:26 AM »
So, if I need to grab a liberal, I need to tell them something that will make them stand up and fight...maybe tell them that the terrorist is seeking to suppress women's and minority rights by encouraging white male tobacco users to grab fully automatic assault rifles and shoot endangered species?

Poor terrorist...   cheesy

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 05:26:36 PM »
Roll of quarters inside a sock.
Metal pen.
Heavy soled shoe or boot.
Key held between fingers.
Etc, etc etc, plenty of availbale weapons out there.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.