Author Topic: CARB Gas Cans Suck  (Read 5772 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: CARB Gas Cans Suck
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2016, 07:45:28 AM »
So why is no one except me wanting the metal safety cans? So much easier to control than a jerry can and cheaper.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 08:01:08 AM »
So why is no one except me wanting the metal safety cans? So much easier to control than a jerry can and cheaper.

They are not nearly tacticool enough.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2016, 09:13:15 AM »
Because they're NAYTOE!
That means they'll stand up to use, abuse, AND corruption, for only 3x what they should actually cost!
What we have here is failure to communicate.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2016, 09:20:25 AM »
Because they're NAYTOE!
That means they'll stand up to use, abuse, AND corruption, for only 3x what they should actually cost!

"Get these gas cans out of my sight.  We have too many.  Toss them if you have to."

Cost: The few minutes it took to lug them to my pickup truck.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2016, 09:25:46 AM »

The gas can I normally use is a 5 gallon can with a plastic nozzle small enough to stick into my mower fuel tank.  There is a little plastic sealer piece you have to take off at the spout to pour gas.  The sealer piece keeps it from vaporing off.  I have kept gas in there for a couple years with no problems.  If I didn't have the pouring nozzle, I would have to use a funnel.  I generally dislike funnels as I can't see if I am about to overfill the little gas tank. 

I have at least one of the newer plastic 1 gallon cans that came with that screwed up pour spout.  I took all that out and threw it away.  I have heard there is a "proper" way to use it correct, but I don't see the point.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2016, 09:43:48 AM »
They are not nearly tacticool enough.
The 1930s design is tacticool and the 1950s design is the good, old fashioned choice. 

Just about any of the basic <=5 gallon cans would work fine for me.  I went with the inexpensive (at the time) rectangular 5 gallon plastic cans whose only real drawback so far has been the poor quality nozzles (or really the screw caps that held on the nozzles).  Even with replacing the nozzles I've spent a lot less than if I went with any of the metal cans.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2016, 11:28:22 AM »

I store Ed's Red in one of those.  Was not certain the plasticky gas cans could handle the acetone.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2016, 12:45:06 PM »
I'd gutted a few of the CARB spouts, then ran across the EZ Flow spouts.

There aren't cheap, it's going to cost about $65 to upgrade all our cans but worth it to have good spouts & vents.

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-FloTool-05034-Super-Funnel/dp/B000BO8YVM/