Author Topic: Using street social workers to prevent hospital readmissions  (Read 1785 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Using street social workers to prevent hospital readmissions
« on: April 09, 2016, 10:47:10 AM »
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/04/08/473379238/baltimore-sees-hospitals-as-key-to-breaking-a-cycle-of-violence?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=science

Interesting if this works.  The hospitals are doing this out of their financial self-interest: you are financially penalized by the Affordable Care Act if your patients are readmitted after a certain period of time.  So if you patch up a gangbanger, he is released, and is then shot again and readmitted, the hospital is deemed to have done a poor job of care and is penalized for this.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Using street social workers to prevent hospital readmissions
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 07:01:43 PM »
I'm sorry. I'm not getting it. If someone goes in for gall bladder surgery and the hospital leaves a sponge in the patient and he/she has to be readmitted to fix the hospital's screw-up, yes the hospital should be penalized. But if the hospital patches up a gang banger who got shot, and he then is released and gets himself shot again -- that's not the hospital's fault and it's not even the same injury (despite "gun shot wound" having the same code). Why should the hospital's be penalized because gang bangers persist in being gang bangers?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to teach gang bangers to shoot better? That right there should reduce readmissions to almost zero.

[ar15] [Exit, stage left]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 08:52:09 PM »
You've got to admit, Hawkmoon, that it makes as much sense as every other aspect of POST EDITED BECAUSE OF NICKNAMING
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:56:20 PM by jamisjockey »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 09:23:40 PM »
I'm sorry. I'm not getting it. If someone goes in for gall bladder surgery and the hospital leaves a sponge in the patient and he/she has to be readmitted to fix the hospital's screw-up, yes the hospital should be penalized. But if the hospital patches up a gang banger who got shot, and he then is released and gets himself shot again -- that's not the hospital's fault and it's not even the same injury (despite "gun shot wound" having the same code). Why should the hospital's be penalized because gang bangers persist in being gang bangers?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to teach gang bangers to shoot better? That right there should reduce readmissions to almost zero.

[ar15] [Exit, stage left]

but, but, but... The expert care from loving nurses and wise doctors is supposed to show them the error of their criminal ways and they should have sweetness and light pouring from their ahole upon leaving the wonders of the hospital, preventing all further injury forever!!!1!!! If they don't have sweetness and lightness and rainbows coming out every orifice, the hospital has clearly failed!!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 09:39:10 PM »
rainbows coming out every orifice

mental image...
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 10:11:47 PM »
mental image...

I like to delver the goods.  :-*
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 10:15:17 PM »
I like to delver the goods.  :-*

verb
verb: delve; 3rd person present: delves; past tense: delved; past participle: delved; gerund or present participle: delving

reach inside a receptacle and search for something.
    "she delved in her pocket"

Delver doesn't appear but based on the other forms of "delve" it would seem you like to place the goods in deep in some sort of tunnel like area.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 10:16:24 PM »
Delver doesn't appear but based on the other forms of "delve" it would seem you like to place the goods in deep in some sort of tunnel like area.

Your brains. Where it will stay forever...

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAA
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:51:24 AM by bluestarlizzard »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 08:48:51 AM »
but, but, but... The expert care from loving nurses and wise doctors is supposed to show them the error of their criminal ways

The way the program is actually supposed to work is that ex-con "violence interrupters" work with them. But in true POST EDITED BECAUSE OF NICKNAMING fashion, the idea is bring down the high cost of health care by imposing an additional cost on hospitals.

The idea is to get six or seven hospitals on board, with hopes that at some point the hospitals will pay for it — to the tune of roughly $100,000 annually per institution. That would pay for two violence interrupters per hospital, plus someone to oversee the whole program.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:31:09 PM by scout26 »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 09:11:46 AM »
^^^And if the cost of the 'violence interruptors' is outweighed by lesser readmission penalties on the hospital, it is a financial win for the hospital.  This is why the hospitals are doing this on their own dime.

This is the same reason hospitals are sending home health nurses out to see the little old lady with CHF who was just discharged; to manage her care at home to prevent her from having to come back to the hospital.  If she comes back within 30 days of discharge, the hospital gets a financial penalty.  So, cheaper to send that nurse out to keep the little old lady out of the hospital.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 09:28:55 AM »
You're still talking about an additional cost being imposed by government fines, so how is it making healthcare more affordable?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 12:06:43 PM »
You're still talking about an additional cost being imposed by government fines, so how is it making healthcare more affordable?

Brought to you by the same folks who brought us Common Core.

It's the New Math, stupid. Get with the program. 2+2 doesn't equal 4 any more -- now 2+2 equals red, or peaches, or ... something. Anything but 4.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 12:47:15 PM »

It's not, but the social workers and traveling nurses are cheaper than the fines.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 02:03:03 PM »
It's not, but the social workers and traveling nurses are cheaper than the fines.

I know. I'm just pointing out that this appears to be an additional expense brought on by the Affordable Care Act. Hospitals, presumably, had lower expenses before this particular policy of the Act went into effect. If not, it seems they would have taken these measures already.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 08:46:16 PM »
I wonder if this is still some of the MBA wizardry I see at work, If I repair a circuit for a customer and the same circuit has another problem within a set period of time it counts against me as a repeat. Doesn't matter if the first failure was the result of crackheads cutting down the fiber-optic run to steal the copper and the 2nd failure was because a F2 tornado came through and relocated 2 miles of transmission line to the next county over. If it was less than 10 days between failures I get a quality ding.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 09:21:55 PM »
I wonder if this is still some of the MBA wizardry I see at work, If I repair a circuit for a customer and the same circuit has another problem within a set period of time it counts against me as a repeat. Doesn't matter if the first failure was the result of crackheads cutting down the fiber-optic run to steal the copper and the 2nd failure was because a F2 tornado came through and relocated 2 miles of transmission line to the next county over. If it was less than 10 days between failures I get a quality ding.

Yes, it is.  My wife work recently in a vascular ICU in Tampa.  They could do a heart transplant on a medicaid patient, discharge that patient, and have them come back in to the ER with a heroin overdose 25 days later, and the hospital got fined.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 10:41:07 PM »
You've got to admit, Hawkmoon, that it makes as much sense as every other aspect of POST EDITED BECAUSE OF NICKNAMING

:rofl:

Is it still OK to call it Obamacare?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 08:26:37 AM »

:rofl:

Is it still OK to call it Obamacare?

Yes.

Back to the OP:

Would it not be cheaper just to hide the bodies?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 08:30:22 AM »
Brought to you by the same folks who brought us Common Core.

It's the New Math, stupid. Get with the program. 2+2 doesn't equal 4 any more -- now 2+2 equals red, or peaches, or ... something. Anything but 4.

No, 2 + 2 is now:

││ + ││ = ││││
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 10:49:41 PM »
Would it not be cheaper just to hide the bodies?

A LOT cheaper in fact, considering dead gangbangers can't continue their lifelong criminal career, so it's not just the fines that would be avoided. It's a lifetime of medical care, just for starters...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 10:51:01 PM »

Hush now this was one of those things that was found out after we passed it to find out what was in it.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!