Author Topic: Tubes!  (Read 3330 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Tubes!
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2006, 11:09:26 AM »
Don't forget - The gizmo also looks cool.

The maggies do about 84db at 1 watt/1 metre.

87 at 2
90 at 4
93 at 8
96 at 16
99 at 32
102 at 64 and
105 at 128...

Rule of thumb is to have 10db of headroom for peaks. So most of the time I'm using under 10 watts. But the maggies are also essentially line sources instead of point sources, so the sound decays at half the rate as normal speaks.

Now, the higher efficiency speaks, such as the Infinity SM-120s that just got gifted to my girlfriend's sister, can go up to about 98db/1w/1m...

I'm currently building two pairs of 97db efficient line source speakers. Should be interesting.
Blog under construction

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2006, 11:19:26 AM »
It's like the music is in your head man...

You hear them too!?  shocked

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2006, 11:25:30 AM »
Don't forget - The gizmo also looks cool
What'd you go and say THAT for, Now I want one!  grin

In honor of fuzz, even though it's not necessarily warmth, I just turned my other amp on, (Fender Studio) cranked the gain and fiddled with a nicely distorted but somewhat rusty rendition of "Comfortably Numb". Saw Floyd the other night on the CPTV and it's been stuck in my head ever since so I've been trying to pick my way through that solo. I've got a fair number of the notes down but I need to hear it a coupla more times.  grin

Avoid cliches like the plague!

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2006, 11:32:10 AM »
The interweb is a series of tubes.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2006, 11:34:58 AM »
I've got Pulse on DVD... Most excellent show, except that with the high bitrate version, I can't really crank it loud enough... Or it seems that way... When the big hits happen in One of These Days... (I'm going to cut you into little pieces - heh, heh, heh... listen to the voices...), I get truly gnarsty sounds outta my LFE subwoofers... They dialed in a LOT of subsonics on that one... The LFE channel was the only one that showed clipping too... So I stuck a compressor/limiter into that circuit, and stuck a bigger amp on the subs...

I've got Jerry and the boyz on now...

I definitely like the gizmo.

Blog under construction

280plus

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2006, 01:11:01 PM »
Yup, Pulse. I don't quite get the glitter ball opening up though. Cool I guess but seemed like an awful expensive thing that really didn't do anything in the end. I was waiting for something else to happen but it never did. Ah well, cool on the gizmo!

grin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2006, 02:59:07 PM »
I'm currently running my turntable through the internal phono input of my pioneer A35r amp, but I've been thinking about getting a tube phono stage. I don't know why, it sounds pretty good now as long as I use static guard on my turntable mat, clean the stylus with alternating silly putty and Mr. Clean magic eraser, spin around three times before sitting down, and maintain a messy room so as to create a diffuse sound field.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

brimic

• friends
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2006, 05:04:10 PM »
I always thought that if music companies edited clicking sounds into their CDs, there wouldn't be a need for audiophiles to spend beaucoup bucks on turntables to get that 'warm sound' missing from CDs. laugh
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2006, 05:22:55 PM »
Audiophiles amaze me in what they will spend large sums of money on.
Same here.  I checked into the guys on the other side of the building my employer is in and was shocked at the prices they charge. 

These folks: http://www.ayre.com/index.cfm

$2950 for a CD player, $7000 for a preamp!  shocked
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2006, 07:12:33 PM »
Heh... Just posted a link to their wood component feet to a DIY forum I frequent... If you can't measure it, it doesn't exist.

The guys LOVE a good joke.

Oh, and don't write off the huge braided speaker cables either - they test with lower capacitance or inductance or something like than than the "non-braided" type (like I use...). Folks who've made 'em (a coupla hours and a few feet of Cat5 cable) seem to like 'em.

Blog under construction

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2006, 08:53:30 PM »
According to my Senator, the internet itself is nothing but a SERIES OF TUBES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtOoQFa5ug8

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2006, 06:43:19 AM »
they test with lower capacitance or inductance or something like than than the "non-braided" type (like I use...).

Exactly - they test lower. However, the tested variances between zip cord and the fancy-schmancy stuff is lower than the THD of the amp. In other words there is no difference to the listener (although many an audiophile will burst a vein defending his $200-a-foot cabling).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2006, 09:30:56 AM »
I _might_ have $200 in my speaker wire...

Let's see... Two maggies and two subs upstairs. 7 speakers downstairs, around The Bunker, and four subwoofers. And the bass shakers mounted under the sofa... "Arc Light! Arc Light!"

Yeah, probably.

I also put in another two dedicated 20 amp circuits for the amp stack.

Blog under construction

280plus

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2006, 12:46:55 AM »
Heh, I just cranked up the old Sansui. Did I say 1 watt? Try .1 watts and the wife was saying, "Don't you think that's a little loud?"  laugh