Author Topic: What do you know about kayaks and kayaking?  (Read 1610 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
What do you know about kayaks and kayaking?
« on: November 29, 2006, 11:00:32 AM »
Now that I am in water-plentiful NH, I'd like to get into kayaking next year.  So, what kind of info can you pass on to a newby?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

crt360

• friend
Re: What do you know about kayaks and kayaking?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 01:08:43 PM »
1. Keep the side with the big hole in the middle up as much as possible.

2. Don't drown.

I once dated a girl that kayaked and I've played around with one in a pool, but I don't have much additional kayaking wisdom to pass on.
For entertainment purposes only.

Preacherman

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 06:01:35 PM »
Well, at least in NH, you're not likely to have company while you kayak . . .  laugh

For the full story behind the picture, see http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/sharkkayak.asp#photo .
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 06:24:35 PM »
Absolutely nothing.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 07:03:29 PM »
arrrgh. I previewed before posting and lost it. Starting over.

I could have majored in kayaking in college. Seriously. Got 24 credit hours in it.

Kayaks have benefitted from technology in the last 20 plus years as much as anything. We had poly kayaks then, but they were sloppy handling. Kind of like a Baggie in the water. We were snobs- fiberglass was the only way to go.

Now you've got kevlar and carbon fiber as well as stiffer polys and fiberglass. Poly is the least expensive, followed by fiberglass, then the sky's the limit.

You might consider checking with the local Y or colleges to see if they offer beginning/intro kayaking classes. Learn your fundamentals in an indoor pool. Learn how to get into it, then get into the water. Next, you'll learn how to right yourself from a roll. Trust me, it'll take a little while.  Once you're able to right yourself, you'll learn to paddle in a straight line and then turn. After a few days of that, you are ready for small ponds or lakes. Don't attempt to take on class 3 rapids immediately. Just don't. I've seen plenty of expensive aluminum canoes bent around a rock or tree before. Wetsuits are nice, particularly in a river. Youll figure out why.

Some nice alternatives to a kayak for your first boat would be a Poke Boat (http://www.pokeboat.com/PhoenixPokeBoats.htm), which is light, fairly maneuverable, and exceptionally stable. Also, consider a Folbot (http://www.folbot.com) for the same reasons. Not exactly a kayak, but really nice.

Enjoy.
Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 06:49:00 AM »
Sylvilagus Aquaticus: I have one of those bunnies that is in your sig. Bought it for my young nephew, then ended up keeping it and giving him a normal bunny instead.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 11:50:54 AM »
I do too, Wingnut...
Sits on my big TV in the den.

didja know they have different sizes, up to one the size of a cocker spaniel?

meep!

Regards,
Rabbit.
Albert Einstein

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 02:36:36 PM »
I know enough about it, from experience, that I don't do it anymore. Big 60 year old guys just don't fit well in a Kayak.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 02:50:38 PM »
Mannlicher, you're just not using enough kayakCheesy

Regards,
Rabbit.
Albert Einstein

Preacherman

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 02:51:59 PM »
Actually, Wabbit, it's because of his new girlfriend.  They spend all their time canoe-dling, you see . . .

angel
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 08:26:13 PM »
Mine's a sit-on-top, built for distance (meaning not maneuverable), but I love it!
D. R. ZINN

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 03:42:26 AM »
I have one...best deal around that I found was in Natick Out Door Store in Natick, MA.

They had the EXACT SAME kayak as EMS for $150 less, and it came with a free paddle and free life preserver.  Obviously the paddle and vest are not top of the line, but are good enough to make sure that kayaking will be your thing.

I only used mine 2-3 times before I blew out my back.  My Dad has it now.

1.  Rememb er that however far out you paddle, you need to paddle back.  Better to stsrt out going upstream while you have energy first.  Yes, I know it's common sense, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
2.  It is a MASSIVE workout with your arms
3.  Make sure you have good footing when you get out.  Remember- you are sitting in a tube, on the ground, that moves.  Don't be stupid like I was and put you feet on an alge covered boat launch.  You just look stupid, and your "family jewels" will hurt later from the inevitable split that you will do.
3 1/2.  Please stop laughing at me.
4.  I invested in a good dry bag (LL Bean Outlet in Concord always seems to have them).  They are good for keys/ wallet/ etc.  If you don't like that idea, and if you life vest has pockets, try a double or triple zip lock bag, or even a small tupperwear container.
5.  I seached online, and if I remeber correctly, there is a NH Kayak club or something to that effect.  They give all sorts of neato spots to go.
6.  I'm in Concord, NH, right off of the Contoocook river.  If you go somewhere around here, and end up needing a place to rest/ fix something. etc.  Let me know, I will lend a driveway/ yard/ glass of water/ cheap tent site (for y'all only, please, I'm not a B&B).

M
One day at a time.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 07:18:27 AM »
Ex-Ma,

re: #3 1/2

I will, I promise, I just need a few more minutes.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 08:59:27 AM »
Thank you.
One day at a time.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 02:12:13 PM »
Sea or fresh water?  Rapids or lakes?  There are dozens of different styles of kayaks for all kinds of water, from LOOONG sea kayaks to little bitty things for shooting rapids.  I did some excursions in SE Alaska years ago, and don't care to repeat the experience.  After a tidal shift brought four foot swells I decided I liked LAND a whole lot.  In a kayak even a little bit of sea seems like a tsunami. 

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 03:49:24 PM »
Inland lakes and rivers with class I & II rapids.  Maybe some class III if it gets me to a good spot to fish/disembark/wring-out my undies.

Also in the Great Bay around Portsmith, and other protected sea water around here, but not open ocean.  No long distance or anything more than day trips or quick overnights for camping.  The Great Bay has pretty good tidal changes with a fast flow rate; at least that is what it looks like to me, a land-lubber.

Mainly just another reason to get outside and explore.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 04:59:00 PM »
Shameless plug here.
www.northernlightstrading.com
We have two stores the second "The Barn" is a full on boating store. If you call talk to Tim, the manager. He is a very experienced boater and should be able to help you out.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.