Author Topic: Then and Now...  (Read 1927 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Then and Now...
« on: November 30, 2006, 12:49:28 AM »
Jack pulls into school parking lot with rifle in gun rack.

1960 - Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack's rifle, goes to his car and gets his to show Jack.

2006 - School goes into lockdown, FBI and Swat team called, Jack hauled  off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students                 and teachers.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1960 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends Nobody goes to jail, nobody arrested, nobody expelled.

2006 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1960 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by Principal. Sits still in class.

2006 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin.  Becomes a zombie.  School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his father's car and his Dad gives him a whipping.

1960 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2006 - Billy's Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. Billy's sister is told by state psychologist that she remembers being abused                      herself and their  Dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some headache medicine to school.

1960 - Mark shares headache medicine with Principal out on the smoking dock.

2006 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car and parent's home searched for drugs and weapons.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.

1960: Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.

2006: Pedro's cause is taken up by state democratic party.  Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist.             ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher.  English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but    ends up mowing lawns for a living because he can't speak English.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.

1960 - Ants die.

2006 - BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated,                       Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary, hugs him to comfort him.

1960 - In a short time Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2006 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Nightfall

• friend
Re: Then and Now...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 05:36:21 AM »
Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.
I dunno about the rest of you, but when I was in school in the 90's, the last part at least was true. If Johnny came up and started hitting you, and you hit him back, you both got detention/after-school/etc. Self-defense wasn't differentiated from initiating violence. Unless you sat there and took it, you got in trouble too. Kinda helps explain some of the crap we hear from anti-self-defense folk&
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 05:45:29 AM »
If Johnny came up and started hitting you, and you hit him back, you both got detention/after-school/etc.

This started in the 60's, at least where I grew up. The favorite saying of my elementary school Principal, Mrs. Albright, was, "It takes two to start a fight."

I was kinda scrawny when I was in elementary school, and got beat up quite a bit. I spent just as much time picking up rocks at recess as the other guy did because I participated in the fight by using my face or stomach to stop a fist*. Smiley

*Unfortunately, pop always told me to stand up for myself, so running away and telling a teacher wasn't an option.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 06:30:47 AM »
The favorite saying of my elementary school Principal, Mrs. Albright, was, "It takes two to start a fight."
Things were different at my elementary school . . . except for one instance I won't go into. (Long story, ending with a long face on an idiot nun.)

But if a teacher or principal had said something like "It takes two to start a fight" to me while meting out a punishment for being a victim, I would've been in MORE trouble for leaning across her desk, slapping her face, and saying "STOP STARTING A FIGHT WITH ME!!!!"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 07:40:35 AM »
Went to a small private high school...   The principal got tired of my brother and I getting into fights with each other (he was two years younger than I was).  Mind you, this was in the early 90's.   His solution? 

He locked us in the gym and told us to duke it out once and for all, or quit the nonsense fighting.

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 04:11:20 PM »
280+: excellent post. Ain't it the freakin' truth!!

Graduated Catholic HS in '63. Know how quick 16 oz gloves will wear your butt out?? Really wanted to fight, go to the gym and put the gloves on. Had an issue with a teacher? He'd put the gloves on with ya'. Gotta love the Marist Brothers!! God bless 'em.

Butt hole wild child in senior yr smacked a dude in the head with a paper wad in class. I'm talking baseball size wad at about 6 feet! (mass x velocity= THUMP!) Marist principal (all 5'6") happened to be walking by the door. Joe the perp, desk and all, were dragged out the door, by the neck. Hear a few thumps in the hall. Class went on with no one batting an eye. Joe eventually came back to class, quiet as a mouse, but not that day.

Actually, some psychologists are saying that the problem with violence in schools is that kids have no outlet for normal childhood/teen/pubescent tensions. We played "cops & robbers", "cowboys & indians", "war" and all that good sh... aahh, stuff!

A lot of the problems today could be solved with a good, old fashioned ass kicking!!

Stay safe.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 04:18:01 PM »
Actually, some psychologists are saying that the problem with violence in schools is that kids have no outlet for normal childhood/teen/pubescent tensions. We played "cops & robbers", "cowboys & indians", "war" and all that good sh... aahh, stuff!

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

You know, I've never ever been in a fight. Never started a fight either. But then, I played a lot of cops 'n robbers and war with my brothers when I was little.   smiley
Andy

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 09:24:51 PM »
A lot of kids don't get recess anymore. 
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 10:13:28 PM »
It's pretty sad how kids aren't allowed to be kids anymore--all this nonsense with playdates and parental supervision and whatnot.  Granted, I'm on the young side for this forum, but what happened to just walking outside and seeing who was playing in the street every afternoon?  It was never "call John's mother and see if you can go over there for two hours in fifteen minutes," it was "go outside, you're driving me crazy."  And while just about everything we did was pretty reckless, none of us ever got anything worse than some scrapes or bruises.

Kids just aren't allowed to be kids any more--somehow everything is so much more dangerous than it was before, and the only safe activities are apparently playing videogames inside, or finding something to do in your fenced in backyard with a mother watching from inside (how much fun can you have with your mom watching, anyway?)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 12:45:19 AM »
"go outside, you're driving me crazy." 
Yup, we weren't allowed to stay in the house during summer, mostly for the above reason.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 03:37:44 AM »
Senior year in 1961 I had all my academics courses done and took wood shop. Thug-type kid mouths off to teacher; Mr. Beaver walks over to thug and jacks him up on the wall by his throat! Says very softly: "you. Don't. Ever. Talk. To. Me. Like. That."

Thug shapes up and completes class.  Today? Hah!

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 05:37:44 AM »
It's pretty sad how kids aren't allowed to be kids anymore

Any qustions?

http://www.10news.com/education/10102602/detail.html
One day at a time.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 02:57:10 AM »
2006 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin.  Becomes a zombie.  School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.
.... and one day Jeffrey waltzes into school with a couple of guns and murders a few students and teachers.

-------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org