Author Topic: Alternator  (Read 3600 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Alternator
« on: April 21, 2016, 12:52:29 AM »
SWMBO's car a 2008 Toyota Sienna.  135k miles.  It's started giving intermittent reluctant starts.  Took it to the auto parts store to get the battery tested.  Good battery but bad voltage regulator.  I could overhaul the alternator and put in a new voltage regulator.  But the heck with it, I'll just put in a new (well, factory refurb) alternator.  After shipping the old one back, and getting my core charge back it'll be about $140 net cost from Rock Auto.  It should arrive by Tuesday or Wednesday.

I've got enough crap to do I'd rather not have to replace it, but at least alternators are relatively easy.  It won't be quite as easy as on the Camry, but shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.  I hope.
Formerly sumpnz

Regolith

• friend
Re: Alternator
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 04:56:36 AM »
So long as it's in an easy to get to place, it should be no problem. About 6-7 years ago I replaced the alternator on my Explorer, despite having basically zero experience working on engines, and it's still going. It was easier to do that than to change the damn spark plugs.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 11:14:32 AM »
I consider them wear items. I've replaced the alternator at least once on every car I've ever owned save the current one, which has <50k on the clock.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 11:45:05 AM »
I consider them wear items. I've replaced the alternator at least once on every car I've ever owned save the current one, which has <50k on the clock.

First one I've had to replace.  Had to take off the one in the Camry while changing the timing belt.  But otherwise never had an alternator go bad or even need to be taken off (well, by me, maybe a mechanic has with another car at some point).
Formerly sumpnz

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 11:51:03 AM »

I've only had to replace alternators on 1 car, my 2003 Camry.  The others all had the original alternator the entire time I owned them.  My 19yo 4Runner still has its factory alternator.

Chris

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 12:02:37 PM »
Seems like I change them like socks. I never take what the parts store says as gospel, I took them back the one that they sold me and they swore it was good and wouldn't warranty it. Also swore the one I bought elsewhere was bad. Amazing bad alternator it was still going two years later. Whenever I replace one I also run a secondary ground from a lug on the alternator to the black post.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 11:44:21 PM »
Alternator arrived in the mail today.  And it was damaged.  So now to return it and get another.   :mad:
Formerly sumpnz

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 01:02:53 AM »
Seems like I change them like socks. I never take what the parts store says as gospel, I took them back the one that they sold me and they swore it was good and wouldn't warranty it. Also swore the one I bought elsewhere was bad. Amazing bad alternator it was still going two years later. Whenever I replace one I also run a secondary ground from a lug on the alternator to the black post.

Yeah, I don't change my socks either.   :P
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 07:18:08 AM »
Today's mechanical trivia:
Alternator's very rarely go bad. It is both a pretty simple and pretty stout design.

Voltage Regulators go bad pretty frequently.  Depending on the Chinese electronics they are made from, how good their heat management is and what kind of loads they are seeing.

Since the two parts are almost always soldered together these days, "Alternators" lifespan can seemingly vary quite a bit based on the quality of the voltage regulator attached. In older designs, you could remove and replace just the regulator.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 09:08:15 AM »

Most of the parts store counter jockeys don't know how to test one or their testing bench is bad, too. Seen that a lot. I had one where they kept insisting the alternator was good when it was definitely bad (voltage regulator bad right out the box and spiking voltage) and would not warranty it. I eventually had to take a screwdriver and jam it in it and beat on it to break parts in it to get it to sieze up on the testing bench that wasn't working correctly so I could get them to warranty it for a parts failure.

Also this

Today's mechanical trivia:
Alternator's very rarely go bad. It is both a pretty simple and pretty stout design.

Voltage Regulators go bad pretty frequently.  Depending on the Chinese electronics they are made from, how good their heat management is and what kind of loads they are seeing.

Since the two parts are almost always soldered together these days, "Alternators" lifespan can seemingly vary quite a bit based on the quality of the voltage regulator attached. In older designs, you could remove and replace just the regulator.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 01:30:32 PM »
Most of the parts store counter jockeys don't know how to test one or their testing bench is bad, too. Seen that a lot. I had one where they kept insisting the alternator was good when it was definitely bad (voltage regulator bad right out the box and spiking voltage) and would not warranty it. I eventually had to take a screwdriver and jam it in it and beat on it to break parts in it to get it to sieze up on the testing bench that wasn't working correctly so I could get them to warranty it for a parts failure.

Also this
Yep. I've had them swear up and down that a battery is fine and dandy, only to have someone that knows wtf they are doing declare it unquestionably doa. Not that I had any real question in the first place.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 01:59:02 PM »
Some of the motorcycle voltage regulators are notorious for premature failure, and I got pretty good at replacing them.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 08:24:44 PM »
Speaking of alternators, I recently became aware of the Honda "Dual Mode" charging system.

Interesting, and something for late model honda owners to be aware of.  More info:
http://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1011&context=auto_pres

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 09:04:13 PM »
*expletive deleted*ck*balls, that job sucked.  Got the second alternator from Rock Auto yesterday.  Got started on it last night.  Wound up needing to get a long 14mm socket as my normal socket wouldn't reach one of the bolts on its own, and with my shortest extension was too long.  Also had to get a clean bucket so I could drain the coolant.  Bet that took me over 6 hours all told.  A pro probably could do it in under 3 hours, but at shop rates that's still probably $300 in labor I saved.
Formerly sumpnz

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 10:01:30 AM »
But that's half the fun.

Two weeks ago a 20 minute brake job took me three days. Well the brake job still only took me about 20 minutes. Dealing with an impact wielding monkeys screw up and waiting for a part no one stocks for my car took up the rest.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.