Author Topic: THE SWARM!!!  (Read 1662 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
THE SWARM!!!
« on: April 21, 2016, 09:28:40 PM »
Had a swarm of bees set up on a tree limb just out the backdoor of the house this afternoon.
Called in a friend that is a bee rancher and we managed to capture it. Hopefully they will take to the hive.

The limb was about 14' up. they guy in the suit is standing on a 10" extension ladder wrangling bees and hive nobody got stung today.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: THE SWARM!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 07:57:16 AM »
Is that all swarm?  There has to be a queen in there somewhere.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 08:08:07 AM »
In theory the queen is somewhere in the middle of the swarm and hopefully now in the hive.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 08:11:31 AM »
Is that all swarm?  There has to be a queen in there somewhere.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 08:38:28 AM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 03:18:10 PM »
And...my brief foray in bee ranching is over as fast as it began.
Ungrateful little bastards are gone.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 04:17:11 PM »
Maybe he can hook you up with some free honey since you hooked him up with some new labor.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 05:15:24 PM »
He cuts me a good deal on the honey I buy from him but the new swarm didn't take to the hive.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 12:27:23 AM »
I want bees so bad, another spring gone without the startup money. Love the pics.  =)
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 02:01:02 PM »
The swarm we tried to catch Thursday had "bugged out" by noon on Friday, the hive was as empty as a liberal's mind. I was making plans to return it to the beekeeper.

About noon today I was working in the yard and when I got over by where we had set the hive the area was alive with bees.
It's swarming season so maybe another swarm found the empty hive and have decided to take up housekeeping. While I was taking pictures it looked like they were in the process of cleaning out dead bees and debris which I'm told is a positive indication.

Samuel Adams