Author Topic: Can you come up with $ 400 in an emergency?  (Read 22659 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Can you come up with $ 400 in an emergency?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 11:04:42 AM »
http://www.npr.org/2016/04/24/475432149/could-you-come-up-with-400-if-disaster-struck?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/05/my-secret-shame/476415/

To my surprise, apparently 47% of Americans cannot.

I've seen other, similar studies and have always been surprised by that*. I would give up cable, go without a cell phone, or whatever it took to have a little spare cash handy for emergencies. I wonder how much of it is bad saving practices and how much is younger people "going cashless"? They talk about not being able to borrow the money, but I wonder if they count paying with a credit card as "borrowing", or if they mean people are also so maxed out on credit that they can't get the additional $400 in emergencies?

*I'm also curious on the surveyed population. It's interesting that the 47% is the same as the old "Romney 47%", so is it 47% of people with a job, or do they count the EBT and others in the population who live off the largess of the taxpayers?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 02:05:19 PM »
^^^From the Atlantic article linked above:

Since 2013, the federal reserve board has conducted a survey to “monitor the financial and economic status of American consumers.” Most of the data in the latest survey, frankly, are less than earth-shattering: 49 percent of part-time workers would prefer to work more hours at their current wage; 29 percent of Americans expect to earn a higher income in the coming year; 43 percent of homeowners who have owned their home for at least a year believe its value has increased. But the answer to one question was astonishing. The Fed asked respondents how they would pay for a $400 emergency. The answer: 47 percent of respondents said that either they would cover the expense by borrowing or selling something, or they would not be able to come up with the $400 at all. Four hundred dollars! Who knew?

http://www.federalreserve.gov/scf/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survey_of_Consumer_Finances describes the methodology used for the survey.  Interesting that a disproportionate number of wealthy families is included.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 02:16:57 PM »
A few years ago I would have just paid it out of my checking account, and then hoped to get by on less for the next week or two. Or I would have used a credit card. The first option often meant using a credit card to cover my shortfall, anyway.

If such an unexpected expense came up today, I'd do the same thing, but substitute savings account for credit card.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 02:21:56 PM »
At one time, I was living well below the 47%tile of wage, income, and hours worked.  I was paying rent bi-weekly.  I had no insurance on my truck.  I had recently moved to a new area of the country for a job that didn't pan out and WAS NOT going back to Detroit. I took a job washing dishes at night to supplement my nutrition.

I was also 24 years old.

Four Benjamins? Yea, I got that.
And gratitude is the emotion du jour.

I can relate, but dammit I'm not going back willingly.
7-11 was a part time job.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 04:27:00 PM »
Actually, I could cover that with rolled coin.  I think having a quantity of small bills and coin on hand is one element of good planning for a short term disruption.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 04:52:31 PM »
Yes. Easily. Wouldn't be happy about it, though.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 06:07:27 PM »
Well my wife and I have worked hard to build assets as well as disposable and emergency liquid funds.  We can come up with $400 if there's a good sale at Bed, Bath and Beyond (her) or a good deal in the AIM surplus E-mail. (Me)

There was a time where it would have been more difficult, or impossible without borrowing from someone. But like Tuco said we were in our early 20's and just starting out.  I'd be real curious about the demographic of that 47%.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 06:47:07 PM »
Yes. Easily. Wouldn't be happy about it, though.

Ditto, but you do what you gotta do.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 07:57:17 PM »
Can and have had to. Have money set aside for just that purpose which makes emergencies a little less stressful.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 08:27:21 AM »
I try to keep at least a three months expenses, in cash, stashed away in one of my gun safes.  Hate like hell to access that though, and would rather cut back somewhere else if a temporary crisis pops up.
One major reason Americans don't save any more, is that the banks pay virtually nothing in interest for savings accounts.  Even CDs don't pay enough interest to be worth tying up assets for long periods of time. 

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 08:59:17 AM »
I try to keep at least a three months expenses, in cash, stashed away in one of my gun safes.  Hate like hell to access that though, and would rather cut back somewhere else if a temporary crisis pops up.
One major reason Americans don't save any more, is that the banks pay virtually nothing in interest for savings accounts.  Even CDs don't pay enough interest to be worth tying up assets for long periods of time. 

I think the lack of interest rates is a result of the economy, not a reason to not save money.  The lack of savings is from having an easy life, access to easy credit, and the idea that if you don't have the latest TV/phone/car/gadget/whatever then you aren't living "right."

Now, there are some good reasons to buy hard goods instead of saving cash right now, but I think that applies only after other investments and savings have been funded.

As for me, I also keep a little cash handy for emergencies, so the $400 is not a problem.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 09:41:01 AM »
This is an outrageous leftist criticism of the us economy.

It's not important if just under half of Americans can't weather $400 of storm.  All that matters is that low taxes and "fair" (meaning no) medical and social safety nets led them to where they are now.

Someday I'm sure an enterprising shanty town resident will make money off of foreigners touring American tent and bridge cities, just like they do now in Brazil.

Enjoy all that freedom folks!  I know I prefer to see it on TV.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 09:47:00 AM »
Low taxes and no safety net? Boy, that is such an apt description of the U.S. Really nailed that one, man.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 09:47:54 AM »
Low taxes and no safety net? Boy, that is such an apt description of the U.S. Really nailed that one, man.

Name a first world country with lower taxes and fewer safety nets.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 09:49:33 AM »
This is an outrageous leftist criticism of the us economy.

It's not important if just under half of Americans can't weather $400 of storm.  All that matters is that low taxes and "fair" (meaning no) medical and social safety nets led them to where they are now.

Someday I'm sure an enterprising shanty town resident will make money off of foreigners touring American tent and bridge cities, just like they do now in Brazil.

Enjoy all that freedom folks!  I know I prefer to see it on TV.

Get back under your bridge

fewer safety nets.

Well gee I guess a system where whole generations of families can live fairly comfortably on welfare without ever holding a job just ain't enough "safety nets". Let me explain something- all these goddamn social safety nets, of which there are far too many as opposed to "not enough" in your mind, comes out of the pockets of the productive members of society, such as me. I am sick and goddamn tired of the worthless wastes of oxygen voting for politicians who promise to use the power of the government to hold a gun to my head and take MY money that I earned and give it to these worthless *expletive deleted*s who have never worked an honest job in their lives.

Taxation is THEFT. I am taxed enough already, thanks.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 09:55:05 AM »

Sorry mate, rent for those spots is more than $400 a month here.

Seriously though, there are no tent cities in Australia anywhere like there are in the moderately sized American cities.  I guess that's proof to some of how awesome the economy is, but I find it a bit retarded to talk about all the benefits of pauperism.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 09:57:27 AM »

Well gee I guess a system where whole generations of families can live fairly comfortably on welfare without ever holding a job just ain't enough "safety nets". Let me explain something- all these goddamn social safety nets, of which there are far too many as opposed to "not enough" in your mind, comes out of the pockets of the productive members of society, such as me. I am sick and goddamn tired of the worthless wastes of oxygen voting for politicians who promise to use the power of the government to hold a gun to my head and take MY money that I earned and give it to these worthless *expletive deleted*s who have never worked an honest job in their lives.

Taxation is THEFT. I am taxed enough already, thanks.

Honest question:  what's the total yearly value of your taxes?  Just how many homes and incomes can be paid for from what the IRS and your state tax authority take from you?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 10:03:01 AM »
So, De Selby, can you state whether or not the U.S. has any government "safety nets" or not? I can't really see continuing this if you can't give the correct answer.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 10:07:03 AM »
So, De Selby, can you state whether or not the U.S. has any government "safety nets" or not? I can't really see continuing this if you can't give the correct answer.

The US has far, far fewer safety nets than any English speaking country in the world including South Africa.  The fact that you failed to answer my question speaks volumes - to claim that US safety nets are the cause of the visible mass poverty which any visitor sees is patently ridiculous.  The shanty towns and beggars around most US destination cities are making more Latin Americans feel at home than they are making Europeans feel over taxed.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 10:23:31 AM »
The US has far, far fewer safety nets than any English speaking country in the world including South Africa.  The fact that you failed to answer my question speaks volumes - to claim that US safety nets are the cause of the visible mass poverty which any visitor sees is patently ridiculous.

:rofl: "failed to answer my question." I don't mind answering. I just wanted you to admit you were lying about the U.S. having no safety net. And you did.

So let me go look up the information you requested, and you get ready to answer my next question: Who claimed that the "safety nets" caused "visible mass poverty"?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:53:52 AM by fistful »

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 10:31:13 AM »
Seriously though, there are no tent cities in Australia anywhere like there are in the moderately sized American cities.  I guess that's proof to some of how awesome the economy is, but I find it a bit retarded to talk about all the benefits of pauperism.
Overall, Australia's homeless rate is not better than that of the US.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 10:35:47 AM »
I could do it if need be.

Wouldn't like what I would have to do to do it, but I can.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 11:31:59 AM »

I still save, and have over six figures in my bank accounts right now, even at the crappy 0.03% interest paid by Bank of America and BECU.  But I no longer bother with my former approach of the laddered maturity CDs, since the minimal return of 0.07% or so is not worth my time to set them up.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2016, 11:36:59 AM »
To the OP, yes - easily.  I have a savings account with multiple sub accounts.  Things like vacation, insurance and property taxes, property maintenance, new car, dog stuff, and etc.  I drop $50 to $200/mo in each.  In an emergency I could pull out $400 from one or more of those accounts no problem.