Author Topic: Spanking is bad for children  (Read 9137 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Spanking is bad for children
« on: April 26, 2016, 10:53:38 PM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/5-decade-study-reveals-fallout-from-spanking-kids/

Very large study demonstrates a correlation between spanking children and subsequent bad behaviors in the long run.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re:
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 11:35:17 PM »
There is an impressive lack of substance in that article.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re:
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 11:54:54 PM »
There is an impressive lack of substance in that article.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

That's what you get with these modern J-schools. Ever since they left off corporal punishment...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Spanking is bad for children
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 12:12:31 AM »
Know what else is bad for children?

Growing up to be undisciplined shithead SJWs.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 12:17:44 AM »
I'm willing to believe that spanking is not the best discipline for all kids but I have trouble believing it is universally "bad for children."  Haven't read this study, but the author has been trying to show that spanking is evil for decades.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 01:13:14 AM »
I believe spanking has its place in the use of force continuum for children hopefully a place that you don't use very often but I don't ever want my children to think it doesn't exist

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 06:53:26 AM »
If spanking is so bad, why is it that kids from my generation (virtually all of whom were subject to spanking) turned out generally so much better than younger generations who were spared the "abuse" of being spanked?

There is a difference between "spanking" and "beating."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

erictank

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 07:15:04 AM »
I'm willing to believe that spanking is not the best discipline for all kids but I have trouble believing it is universally "bad for children."  Haven't read this study, but the author has been trying to show that spanking is evil for decades.

So am I evil or bad, because I was spanked as a child?

Because OBVIOUSLY I'm doing something wrong here...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 07:17:47 AM »
I wonder what the correlation is between non-spanking, non-interventional "let the kids run like savages because Johnny's so cute" parents to entitled little shitbirds later in life? 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 07:32:30 AM »
My father was a school principal back when corporal punishment wasn't just accepted,  it was expected.   To this day, I still recall how many people later in life eithr laughed with him about being paddled, or thanked him for changing the path they were headed down...

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 08:03:10 AM »
So am I evil or bad, because I was spanked as a child?
The author of the study would say you are more likely to be violent.  I don't hold with that.  To be clear, I use spanking when necessary on my children.

I think it is interesting to note that they also admit that 85% of kids these days have been spanked.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 09:21:39 AM »
Can y'all see the comments?  I was trying to see them, but they won't appear.  I have that issue with more news sites lately (using Chrome).  I guess the version my company uses is getting behind.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 09:55:19 AM »
From the article:
"The irony is that many parents spank when their kids are aggressive. So the child thinks you can use spanking to get what you want - kids learn that," she said.

I've heard this argument before. They never mention whether kids learn to use time-outs or grounding to get what they want.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 10:00:06 AM »
I wonder if there are any studies showing the use of spanking vs. other disciplinary techniques by parental educational and income level.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 10:31:13 AM »
Can y'all see the comments?  I was trying to see them, but they won't appear.  I have that issue with more news sites lately (using Chrome).  I guess the version my company uses is getting behind.

News sites these days are often horribly shitty and trying to load so much crap it's hard to read them or view comments.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 10:37:56 AM »
I wonder if there are any studies showing the use of spanking vs. other disciplinary techniques by parental educational and income level.

What would this mean?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 11:27:00 AM »
I wonder what the correlation is between non-spanking, non-interventional "let the kids run like savages because Johnny's so cute" parents to entitled little shitbirds later in life? 

That. In spades.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re:
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 12:16:29 PM »
I believe spanking has its place in the use of force continuum for children hopefully a place that you don't use very often but I don't ever want my children to think it doesn't exist

Spot on.

You don't want to resort to using nuclear weapons to respond to random sniping or an IED. You do want to keep some in the arsenal.

If spanking is so bad, why is it that kids from my generation (virtually all of whom were subject to spanking) turned out generally so much better than younger generations who were spared the "abuse" of being spanked?

There is a difference between "spanking" and "beating."

The first one is very simple, it's due to confirmation bias and that the internet didn't exist when you were young. Kids from your generation were angsty and emotional as well. They just lacked the technology to broadcast it to the world. Give it thirty years and Millennials will be complaining all day that kids are lazy entitled deviants. "Get off my lawn, you young whippersnappers" is as old as humanity.

Second one is also spot on. A significant number of people do not know that difference. If you ever want a couple hours of neutron star density depression inspiring proof that the kids of your generation did not necessarily turn out better, be happy to oblige. You have to buy the beer, though. Not claiming that my generation is better. A sorta ladyfriend does therapy work for criminals, lots of juvs. Couple of them were broken to the point that if humanity had an ounce of sense, we'd put two rounds into their brainstem. People say war is hell. It has nothing on some ordinary seeming homes.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 01:12:20 PM »

I'd be more interested in studies showing spanking vs the child's later earning potential.

And yes, there has to be a distinction between proper spankings applied only when necessary and abuse.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 01:37:07 PM »
I'd be more interested in studies showing spanking vs the child's later earning potential.

I am in my mid-50's, was not spanked by my parents, have several grad/professional degrees and make in the six figures per year.  I did not spank my children, and they grew up to be happy and successful adults.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 01:46:02 PM »
Spot on.

You don't want to resort to using nuclear weapons to respond to random sniping or an IED. You do want to keep some in the arsenal.

This is precisely my philosophy. There are infractions that merit immediate spankings, and generally they are ones that put my child in danger. (E.g. attempting to run into the road.)

Otherwise, there are several levels of punishment and/or warnings before corporal is reached.

The first one is very simple, it's due to confirmation bias and that the internet didn't exist when you were young. Kids from your generation were angsty and emotional as well. They just lacked the technology to broadcast it to the world. Give it thirty years and Millennials will be complaining all day that kids are lazy entitled deviants. "Get off my lawn, you young whippersnappers" is as old as humanity.

While it may be as old as humanity, many of those cultures were precisely right about the spoiled, lazy, entitled, deviants. (Of course, the previous generation is also generally responsible for the attitudes of their progeny...)

If it were not the case, we would not see cultures become decadent and die.

Second one is also spot on. A significant number of people do not know that difference. If you ever want a couple hours of neutron star density depression inspiring proof that the kids of your generation did not necessarily turn out better, be happy to oblige. You have to buy the beer, though. Not claiming that my generation is better. A sorta ladyfriend does therapy work for criminals, lots of juvs. Couple of them were broken to the point that if humanity had an ounce of sense, we'd put two rounds into their brainstem. People say war is hell. It has nothing on some ordinary seeming homes.

Quite true. Disfunction occurred in previous generations. Looking at the numbers*, though, I'm fairly confident to say that it is more prevalent today.

*As an example, from the national center on fathering:
  • An estimated 24.7 million children (33%) live absent their biological father.
    Source: U.S. Census Bureau, Current Population Survey, “Living Arrangements of Children under 18 Years/1 and Marital Status of Parents by Age, Sex, Race, and Hispanic Origin/2 and Selected Characteristics  of the Child for all Children 2010.” Table C3. Internet Release Date November, 2010.
  • Of students in grades 1 through 12, 39 percent (17.7 million) live in homes absent their biological fathers.
    Source: Nord, Christine Winquist, and Jerry West. Fathers’ and Mothers’ Involvement in their Children’s Schools by Family Type and Resident Status. Table 1. (NCES 2001-032). Washington, DC: U.S. Dept of Education, National Center of Education Statistics, 2001.
  • 57.6% of black children, 31.2% of Hispanic children, and 20.7% of white children are living absent their biological fathers.
    Source: Family Structure and Children’s Living Arrangements 2012. Current Population Report. U.S.  Census Bureau July 1, 2012.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 01:48:26 PM »
I actually never got a spanking. Some well deserved back hands or butt smacks but they were on the fly affairs. Correction more than punishment, I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 04:01:57 PM »
I was spanked. My mother is not the spanking type but she was at her wits end with me taking off in the direction of a road where people liked to hit light speed on a regular basis.

The kiddo at work has had a couple spankings, again, over things where her misbehavior could have actually gotten her killed (what is it with toddlers and traffic? Do they have some sort of internal navigation device that always sends them in the direction of speeding cars?)

I'm also in the camp of it's a last resort. Sometimes you got to do what you got to do and convincing a child not to do certain things so that they will actually survive to cry to their therapist about it one day seems legit to me.

Also, considering the children of the no spank generation... I have to wonder if some more aggression is actually a good thing. I've been pondering lately and have become very frustrated with some people who are legitimately being bullied but are too fearful to fight back. I think our PC culture has labeled too many characteristics in the same black and white way they label everything else and the results are not pretty. The lack of balance has created people who either have too much or none of various characteristics and it messes them up. Aggression may be one of those characteristics that has been overly suppressed. We obviously don't want people who fight too much, but I think we need more people who are actually willing to fight when they need to.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 04:49:20 PM »
The spankings I got involved being sent to find a belt, franticly trying to find the one we thought hurt less, Pre-spank lecture, spank, then post-spank talk ending with hugs.  About as far from abuse as you can get and still be corporal punishment.  I think my Dad hated doing it.  Also, I was eligible for spanking from pretty much the earliest age I could do something bad, but by 11 or 12 it wasn't necessary anymore.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2016, 05:40:50 PM »
The spankings I got involved being sent to find a belt, franticly trying to find the one we thought hurt less, Pre-spank lecture, spank, then post-spank talk ending with hugs.  About as far from abuse as you can get and still be corporal punishment.  I think my Dad hated doing it.  Also, I was eligible for spanking from pretty much the earliest age I could do something bad, but by 11 or 12 it wasn't necessary anymore.   
Very similar, although the belts were only used a couple of times.