Author Topic: I think my hearing is going.  (Read 1545 times)

Warren

I think my hearing is going.
« on: November 30, 2006, 01:17:50 PM »
My kid is on the couch next to me and I swear I thought she said "I want a chicken ninja latte"

Startled I asked " I don't know what a ninja latte is, but why would you put chicken in it?"

"No dad, I said I want a chicken enchilada."

"Oh."

My wife has nagging me about this for awhile. I think that's what's she saying anyway.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: I think my hearing is going.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 01:41:57 PM »
You say your earring is glowing?

Brad

p.s. - see an audiologist before it gets worse.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 02:14:00 PM »
How old are you?  I am 48 and just had this talk with my doctor.  According to him, the ability to hear high-frequency sounds (like a young girl's voice) is the first thing to go.  He advised that this is a normal part of aging (sigh...) and that I just live with it unless it starts to be a significant problem.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Warren

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 02:27:18 PM »
See a professional and have it confirmed? AHHH!

I'm only 41 I'm too young for this.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 02:32:07 PM »
How old are you?  I am 48 and just had this talk with my doctor.  According to him, the ability to hear high-frequency sounds (like a young girl's voice) is the first thing to go.  He advised that this is a normal part of aging (sigh...) and that I just live with it unless it starts to be a significant problem.

Is that how old, rich men put up with young, hot trophy wives?  If you can't hear 'em.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 04:06:47 PM »
There are worse losses than one's hearing. That said", hearing losses are aggravating, and can be embarrassing at times.

Personally, I had no success with hearing aids, but have been told they've comea long way since then.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 05:36:17 PM »
Your hair ring is growing?

Maybe it's just that young people mumble more.  I know that I am a mumbler and that I need to make an effort, at times, to speak distinctly.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 06:52:04 PM »
See a professional and have it confirmed? AHHH!
I'm only 41 I'm too young for this.

Yes, exactly.  Get a full spectrum hearing test.  My wife and I have been going round-robin on this for the last twenty-five years.  She tells me I'm going deaf and I tell her she mutters and mumbles, it's one factor in recent "problems".  However, I have had two hearing tests which have proven that I have no loss at the high or low end.  There is a down spike in the mid range, which just might correspond with a .45acp but other wise my hearing is perfect.  I can hear the neighbors in their driveway but not my wife in the same room.  Get a test.
}:)>   
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua
}:)>

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 03:47:36 AM »
My retirement physical in 1985 showed an 85db loss in one ear and slightly less in the other. I was 42 and had spent a career flying mainly A-4 skyhawks in the days before form-fit helmets. The face of the first-stage compressor sits about 4 ft behind the pilot. Predictable results. I wonder what returning OIF vets are showing? All that combat noise must be taking its toll.

Learn to use it selectively: develop the skill to not react to female voices at all when you *need to.* grin

TC
TC
RT Refugee

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 05:06:53 AM »
Old man decides to prove to his wife that she has hearing trouble.  She is gardening and he comes up behind her and asks "can you hear me?"  No answer.  He gets closer, "can you hear me?"  Nothing.  He comes up right behind her, "can you hear me now?"
She turns around, "for godssakes, I told you three times already!"
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 05:22:09 AM »
Old woman in church leans next to her husband and whispers "I just let out a silent one . . . what should I do?"

Old man replies "Turn on your hearing aid." 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 07:13:31 AM »
Leatherneck,

Did you know another A-4 and A-6 pilot named Ron Suter?  He's about your age.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 08:08:59 AM »
I'm lucky, I don't have to wait to get old not to be able to hear high voices, but I do wish my being able to hear very high freqs would go away.

During my hearing test to join the military, turns out that I was born with a "gap" in hearing freqs.  While in that little room they did the tones and I did great on low end, middle, skipped high (failed) and jumped out of the chair on ultra high (which they use as a control cause you shouldn't be able to hear them).

Just to see if I was faking it they did the series again with random and again jumped out of the chair on Ultra high freqs.

Drives me freaking nuts, I hear the ultra high freqs that tv's, computers, etc.. emit and I can hear dog whisles  sad .  That one freaked out my dad when he bought one for one of our dogs and I came out of my room screaming for him to shut up because it was giving me a headache.  Those things are loud! (and it doesn't help that most people blow on it with all their might due to the fact they can't hear it and don't know if it is working).

As for young boys and girls, I can't hear a word they are saying, don't know if that is a good or bad thing  grin .

Wayne

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 09:19:18 AM »
I have had a severe sensineural bilateral hearing loss since birth: approximately a 75% loss on the left and 60% on the right.  The cause is unknown, and there is no treatment.  A few years ago, in my mid-40's, I finally had enough uncommitted discretionary income to buy a pair of hearing aids at $ 7000 out of pocket.  Hearing aids are generally not covered by insurance.  The aids do make quite the difference.  I would suggest that you go and have a hearing workup by an audiologist.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.