Author Topic: Amazon "Exclusively For Prime Members" item. Except it's not...  (Read 798 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Searched Amazon for Star Wars: The Force Awakens on Blu-Ray. They have it, of course, but it's marked "Exclusively For Prime Members". Okay, I can understand they might have a deal with the distributor for exclusive retail rights, or maybe an exclusive product bundle, and are trying to make a few extra million that way.

Except it's neither a unique product bundle nor an exclusive retail agreement...

Went to the bank at lunch and counted no fewer than ten places along two miles of road where SW:TFA is available. Same BR/DVD/DC bundle at roughly the same price (within a couple bucks). WTH? They're taking a widely available title in a non-exclusive configuration and making it Prime-exclusive? Really??  ???

I'm trying to wrap my head around the logic and just can't. It's not a unique product, it's not a sooper speshulness price, and it's available at virtually every street corner. It seems a good way to take a bunch of customers and tick them off (or lose them to other online retailers like Best Buy and Walmart). What am I missing?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Amazon "Exclusively For Prime Members" item. Except it's not...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 03:20:24 PM »
I ordered the Friday before it came out on video.  Got it in the mail that Tuesday.  There was an option to pay extra to watch it online that Friday.  I wasn't in that much of a hurry. 

I agree it isn't exclusive anymore and wasn't exclusive then.  However, make sure you are ordering just the DVD/Blue Ray and not online viewing.  They mix up the options sometimes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 03:22:34 PM »
It's the DVD/BluRay/Digital Copy bundle. It's been in my cart since the day pre-orders opened.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 06:06:53 PM »
Aaaaaand they did it again with Captain America: Civil War. Nothing like doubling down on the fail.

Brad
-HankB

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 09:52:17 AM »
Maybe they have only a small supply to sell, and so they reserve them for prime members?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 07:00:34 PM »
Just checked Captain America, looks like preordering is reserved for Prime members. Seems like an odd thing to do.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 07:08:36 PM »
I wonder if you are looking at the option to get online access prior to the release of the disc.  I can't see that it is prime only, but maybe because I am a prime member.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge