Author Topic: Trump's VP?  (Read 2476 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Trump's VP?
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 10:38:04 PM »
Perhaps they should all leave the GOP and start their own party, not being sarcastic or funny. I don't mesh well with national conservatives on social ideas, maybe there needs to be a fiscal conservative/social libertarian party also?

Yes, we've seen how well that party does.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 10:42:01 PM »

Yes, we've seen how well that party does.

Well Christian Conservative isn't really knocking it out of the park on a national scale either.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2016, 10:50:00 PM »
Well Christian Conservative isn't really knocking it out of the park on a national scale either.

Um, dude, the party that caters (more or less) to the Christians has done worlds better than the Libertarian Party. Just sayin'.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2016, 10:52:48 PM »

The Tea Party and Christians gave both houses of Congress to the Republicans and got nothing but stabbed in the back in return.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 10:57:29 PM »

Um, dude, the party that caters (more or less) to the Christians has done worlds better than the Libertarian Party. Just sayin'.
I was talking about two or more new parties.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2016, 10:58:51 PM »
The Tea Party and Christians gave both houses of Congress to the Republicans and got nothing but stabbed in the back in return.
or how much of that was people were tired of status quo? Backstabbing? Don't over promise what you can't deliver.

Uranus is a gas giant.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Trump's VP?
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2016, 11:12:03 PM »
or how much of that was people were tired of status quo? Backstabbing? Don't over promise what you can't deliver.
The gop is learnimg that lesson as the electorate--wait for it--plays its trump card.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2016, 01:21:32 AM »
I was talking about two or more new parties.

OK, so you're talking about a party that's fiscally conservative (like the Libertarians), but is also "socially liberal," meaning it's OK with using government to enforce radical change to social mores (like the Dem Party is, and the Libertarian Party also is to a lesser extent).

So how would it be different (more successful) than the current Libertarian Party? Less strident about legalizing drugs? More willing to engage in economic protectionism? Pro-border-enforcement?

The one I've outlined sounds interesting. Sounds like it would also attract more of the same, icky, social conservatives, trying to take it over.

What kind of party are you suggesting, though?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 01:58:10 AM by fistful »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2016, 02:01:10 AM »

We got more than stabbed in the back thank you very much.
We also got kicked in the nuts, bent over a barrel and spat on.
Please don't short sell the Republicans that rode into office on the tea party bandwagon.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2016, 02:05:39 AM »
Ayup, the Tea Party and so-cons won majorities in both legislatures for the GOP.    GOP promised to stop Obamacare and BHO's executive order immivasion.  Instead we got horrifying trade deals and Iran nuke deals and more gov't debt.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2016, 02:09:56 AM »
OK, so you're talking about a party that's fiscally conservative (like the Libertarians), but is also "socially liberal," meaning it's OK with using government to enforce radical change to social mores (like the Dem Party is, and the Libertarian Party also is to a lesser extent).

How do you get that last bit from the libertarian party ?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2016, 01:21:31 PM »
How do you get that last bit from the libertarian party ?

Like I said, they're not as bad as the Democrats. They were in favor of using government to try to change the institution of marriage.

From LP.org:

Libertarian Party four-decade advocacy for marriage equality pays off with US Supreme Court decision

I don't know where they stand on the restroom issues, and I presume they've been good on the bakers' rights issues. I suppose others, better acquainted with the party, may be able to find other issues where they've been less than libertarian.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2016, 02:12:25 PM »
I'd like to see Trump pick Cruz as his VP.....just to stick it to the GOPe......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Re:
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2016, 02:41:11 PM »
I'd like to see Trump pick Cruz as his VP.....just to stick it to the GOPe......

If anyone could win with a VP whose credibility he single-handedly, and infamously, destroyed; that man is Donald Trump.

And I thought the 2012 campaign season was an odd-ball...

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2016, 02:44:21 PM »
Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho

Hmm...four years of VP salary plus a Senate pension vs the cost of changing it back later.

Changing it back includes the bonus of not being so readily identifiable as a retired politician.

Where do I sign up?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 03:23:46 PM by KD5NRH »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re:
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2016, 03:06:18 PM »

I'd prefer they bury the hatchet in order to get Cruz on the SC before the senate and congress go back to a big dem majority. As relatively young as he is, it would be a safe seat for a long while.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re:
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2016, 03:22:34 PM »
I'd prefer they bury the hatchet in order to get Cruz on the SC before the senate and congress go back to a big dem majority. As relatively young as he is, it would be a safe seat for a long while.

I'm with you on this one.

Trump needs a solid political pick with which both tea party and traditional Christians are comfortable. But he needs to be political in that he has to be able to help Trump push through congress his agenda. Cruz was never a bridge builder.

I think Trump as part of the donor class can handle the GOPe outreach himself. Putting a GOPe candidate on the ticket with him would be disastrous IMHO. Trump is only an outsider because he as an insider started muscling his way into the action where he wasn't invited. That and he appears to be a nationalist instead of a globalist.

The VP has to be reasonably able to claim same outsider status even if he's just an insider who has been marginalized for refusing to follow GOPe orthodoxy.

For example, Kasich would be a disaster IMHO.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2016, 03:55:12 PM »
Trump/West. 

Kanye would probably do it for 53 million.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re:
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2016, 03:59:05 PM »
Trump needs a solid political pick with which both tea party and traditional Christians are comfortable. But he needs to be political in that he has to be able to help Trump push through congress his agenda. Cruz was never a bridge builder.

Maybe he could clone Reagan.

And then put Ron Paul's brain in the clone to achieve something along the lines of the big battle in Kingsman as people figure it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNJzrvtnoQE

Perd Hapley

• friend
Re:
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2016, 04:19:57 PM »

Do you really think the Senate would confirm Cruz, especially with Trump picking him?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re:
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2016, 04:27:46 PM »

Do you really think the Senate would confirm Cruz, especially with Trump picking him?

Well Debbie Downer, I guess we could all just give up and go for a Hillary nomination to the SC. Or, instead of being GOPe and rolling over to expose our throats, we could try before saying "it won't work". It certainly won't work after 2018, when the senate and congress will likely be filled with a progressive majority. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2016, 06:00:52 PM »

So how would it be different (more successful) than the current Libertarian Party? Less strident about legalizing drugs? More willing to engage in economic protectionism? Pro-border-enforcement?

The one I've outlined sounds interesting. Sounds like it would also attract more of the same, icky, social conservatives, trying to take it over.

What kind of party are you suggesting, though?

Fiscal conservative and keep your morals to yourself party. Sometimes the Christian conservatives are no different than the social justice warriors where they push to expect everyone to be like they are/believe. If your business is open to the public, then you should serve anyone (legally) that comes into the door with money. Legally being, if you own a bar and the person is drunk, you can refuse service, but if you own a bakery and lesbian wants a gay birthday cake and has means to compensate you for your time and goods, you make the cake.

How is it said, if you don't like guns, don't buy one, don't like abortion, don't have one, don't like gay marriage, don't marry a gay person, don't like drugs, don't do coke....

Uranus is a gas giant.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2016, 06:02:59 PM »
Fiscal conservative and keep your morals to yourself party. Sometimes the Christian conservatives are no different than the social justice warriors where they push to expect everyone to be like they are/believe. If your business is open to the public, then you should serve anyone (legally) that comes into the door with money. Legally being, if you own a bar and the person is drunk, you can refuse service, but if you own a bakery and lesbian wants a gay birthday cake and has means to compensate you for your time and goods, you make the cake.

How is it said, if you don't like guns, don't buy one, don't like abortion, don't have one, don't like gay marriage, don't marry a gay person, don't like drugs, don't do coke....

Actually, two of the three libertarian candidates have said that a business should be able to serve who they want, and the market will correct...
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2016, 06:04:14 PM »

Wow. Obvious contradiction there, and obviously non-libertarian viewpoint. The libertarians over at Reason.com would like a word with you.

http://reason.com/blog/2015/07/01/is-this-where-libertarians-and-the-gay-c

If you don't like the straight and narrow, icky conservative bakery, don't go there. Honestly, how do you not see this as a solution?