Author Topic: AR15 Receiver Mold Kit  (Read 13291 times)

MechAg94

• friend
AR15 Receiver Mold Kit
« on: May 05, 2016, 09:44:38 AM »
http://ar15mold.com/
I couldn't remember if we had discussed this or not.  It looks interesting.  I saw an article in Firearms News (formerly Shotgun News).  It isn't a polymer receiver, but a kit to make your own polymer receiver.  It includes some support braces and apparently the base kit can pour 5 or more receivers.  Apparently some have experimented with fiberglass and other stuff to add to the resin to enhance the product.

This seems a lot easier make than an 80% lower for most people. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
Re: AR15 Receiver Mold Kit
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 11:08:16 AM »
I know that AR receivers aren't highly stressed - in the firearms sense - components when used in .223/5.56 applications, but I still have reservations about cast polymer - plastic - receivers.

I don't know that cast polymers will equal or approach the strength of plastics like ABS, polycarbonate, or fiber reinforced receivers.

On the other hand, I don't see much of a strength problem if you're building up a .22 lr training rifle.  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 11:14:22 AM »
Considering how easy it is to finish the 80% polymer receivers, I can't imagine that messing with casting your own could possibly be easier.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 03:04:25 PM »
Considering how easy it is to finish the 80% polymer receivers, I can't imagine that messing with casting your own could possibly be easier.
I imagine that for people who have never done machining at all, the casting process might be easier. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 03:07:12 PM »
I have a cracked aluminum wheel, I bet there is enough material there to cast a few receivers. Now to build the forge. :)

bob

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 03:43:09 PM »
An Aluminum foundry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHD10DjxM1g

Convert it from Charcoal to Propane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO8NwseRxSA

Make an AR Lower mold (although I've though of using AJ's Lego mold with expanding foam for the investment lower.

You could do it in Brass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS949QQDtWQ

Oh, should Hillary or Trump succeed in banning stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_7LWCFH5Gc
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 04:52:10 PM »
A brass lower would be cool.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 05:10:29 PM »
Casting aluminum is harder than other metals if you want good strength due to its reactivity...inert gas it or use some sort of flux, or all you are gonna get us well mixed slag...

BobR

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 05:23:24 PM »
I am thinking that whatever my wheel is made out of is already mixed with something. I don't really know but I don't think they would use pure (mostly) aluminum to make wheels for cars and trucks. I could be wrong though. I will probably have enough problems getting pieces small enough to throw into a small foundry. At least it should be a learning experience. :)

bob

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 05:35:07 PM »
I am thinking that whatever my wheel is made out of is already mixed with something. I don't really know but I don't think they would use pure (mostly) aluminum to make wheels for cars and trucks. I could be wrong though. I will probably have enough problems getting pieces small enough to throw into a small foundry. At least it should be a learning experience. :)

bob
Just get a bunch of scandium frame S&W revolvers and melt them down to make a scandium-aluminum alloy AR lower - if done properly, strength won't be an issue.  ;)   :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BobR

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 05:51:05 PM »
What I really need to make is a set of risers for my motorcycle handlebars. :)

bob

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 07:15:05 PM »
Casting aluminum is harder than other metals if you want good strength due to its reactivity...inert gas it or use some sort of flux, or all you are gonna get us well mixed slag...

True, but again, the lower is not a high stress part on an AR.  You could cast (anynumber>1) and have plenty of spares on hand.  Should you break one, then you simply re-melt the broken ones and cast more.   And since I'm not an expert, would Zinc and Aluminum make a better strength lower then pure aluminum ?   I'm asking for a friend.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:35:16 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 09:39:47 PM »
I mean if you melt it without inert gas, etc, you get a cookie that you can break with your bare hands.

And zinc is already a part of some aluminum alloys.  Pure aluminum is -really- soft, it's effectively never used

Just get a bunch of scandium frame S&W revolvers and melt them down to make a scandium-aluminum alloy AR lower - if done properly, strength won't be an issue.  ;)   :rofl:

The scandium frames are actually already a scandium-aluminum alloy.  Pure scandium...yeah, you don't want that around...especially if finely divided.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 11:32:17 AM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one to think that.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BobR

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 11:43:34 AM »

A brass lower and wood furniture. I would like that. 

Probably make Tactical heads go 'splody all over the place.  :)

bob

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 12:13:39 PM »

bob

It's frightening how much people on this forum think like me.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 12:19:08 PM »
I mean if you melt it without inert gas, etc, you get a cookie that you can break with your bare hands.

You have to collect dross that comes to the top, but aluminium is surprisingly friendly to cast, even without flux.  Molten aluminium will start to absorb gas, but it's rarely a concern if you pour within a few minutes of everything melting.

I've poured several parts with a primitive "backyard foundry" setup and had very good results.  A few minor inclusions were found in a few places during machining, but not unexpected or unacceptable.  I wouldn't use it for like, high stress airframe parts, but from my experience it would work fine for AR lowers.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 06:32:08 PM »
You have to collect dross that comes to the top, but aluminium is surprisingly friendly to cast, even without flux.  Molten aluminium will start to absorb gas, but it's rarely a concern if you pour within a few minutes of everything melting.

I've poured several parts with a primitive "backyard foundry" setup and had very good results.  A few minor inclusions were found in a few places during machining, but not unexpected or unacceptable.  I wouldn't use it for like, high stress airframe parts, but from my experience it would work fine for AR lowers.

Okay, I was just being overly cautious.  But for first time folks, who don't get the need to heat fast, don't let it sit, skim dross, pour properly, etc etc, it's a recipe for problems.

I do stand corrected though, you get a Birdman point, treasure it, they are rare.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 06:57:06 PM »
I've successfully cast some one off aluminium parts.  It's kinda middle of the road as far as amateur casting goes.  As was mentioned there's a couple more steps then pouring lead in a mold.  Then you have to get around the anodizing issue.  Remember the added hardness of the anodizing is actually useful in some parts of the unstressed lower.

The thing is, for something like an 80% AR lower, the machining is pretty dead simple.  Dimensions don't really matter all that much.  The only really critical parts are the pin holes and even those have functionally pretty loose tolerances.  The Polymer 80% lowers are even easier.  People routinely successfully "Machine" (hog out by hand) them with a cheap jig and a dremmel. So for something like an AR lower, there's not really all that much to be gained, other than custom colors and a cool story, from the kit in the OP.  The other options are really pretty beginner friendly.

I've even seen a functioning AR that was done on a drill press with pieces of steel flat stock stacked together.  No machining at all.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 08:49:00 PM »
I've even seen a functioning AR that was done on a drill press with pieces of steel flat stock stacked together.  No machining at all.

Sort of like a Leinad derringer on steroids?

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 09:17:55 PM »
As I recall it wasn't that....refined. it looked mor Kybher Pass than that pistol. It's sole virtue, other than launching a small projectile, was that the lower was 100% sourced from Home Depot. Tools and materials.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 09:39:44 PM »
Here's an AR lower from stacked steel plates:

http://www.theflatspot.net/ar-15-receiver-flat.html

I remember casting an aluminum hack saw handle in shop class when I was in junior high, it wasn't that hard.

One of these days I'm going to make an AR-15 lower out of walnut.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 10:05:13 PM »

bob
It's frightening how much people on this forum think like me.

+1
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2016, 06:01:40 AM »
This kid seems to cast cast aluminum pretty easily, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-BQEhiVf8A  :P
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2016, 06:44:27 AM »
It's also worth mentioning that AR lowers are normally  forged not cast. The two processes give you different characteristics. I'm not at all sure a cast aluminum lower would hold up well.