Author Topic: Did States have a Right to Withdraw Their Ratification of the 14th Amendment?  (Read 989 times)

Hugh Damright

• friend
It is my understanding that in 1868 the States of New Jersey, Oregon, and Ohio withdrew their ratification of the 14th Amendment. But they were told that they had no such right, that if you voted for ratification, you could not take it back. Yet the Southern States which voted "no" were put under military rule until they changed their vote to "yes" ... so the rule was that if you voted "no" then you could change it to "yes", but if you voted "yes" you could not change it to "no". It sounds arbitrary to me.

My thinking is that an amendment does not become binding until ratified by 3/4 of the States, and so until that time, a State can change its vote because it is not bound otherwise.

Cosmoline

• friend
I wonder if they'd let me change my vote for GW.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
How do you know that your vote wasn't changed?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
You've heard the saying I'm sure that:

To the Victor go the spoils...

The North won. They got to make the rules. It's that simple. If some northern states wanted to change their vote and the rest told 'em to pack it - well - that's just the way it was.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

MechAg94

• friend
That is sort of what happened when some states wanted to change their vote on ratification of the constituation. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge